Bike noise surprise surprise

ports18

Jan 10, 2005
Hi guys, this is my 1st or second post.

Just wondering if i could have some suggestions. i own a GT ZR 3.0, have been riging for 6 months, it is a nice starter bike, ride it every 2nd day averaging 50 to 80 kms. I had issues with the BB, at least thats what i thought. Local store took it out, re-greased BB, cranks, pedals etc. This fixed a grinding sound i was having about 3 months ago when pedaling up hills or really pedaling hard. Recently though I have noticed that i am getting a less severe noise but its still there. i thought it was every crank rotation, I tried pedaling with only 1 foot on a pedal but can't get the noise to re-appear, not sure if its because you can't put as much pressure with 1 foot, tried both sides but no noise. i have tightened cranks but fear I have over tightened as now I get a bit of play or a chink noise every time I put pressure on the pedals.

Any suggestions, i am getting it serviced this weekend, getting them to check the BB/Cranks etc but they will most likely think im paranoid, plus it could be something else. Any suggestions ? ?

Thanks Glen

I had an annoying creaking noise which seemed to coincide with every pedal revolution for weeks. couldnt for the life of me figure out what it was. in the end i noticed that when i got off the saddle it appeared gone. it turned out the noise was coming from a creaky seat post. i pulled it out and greased and actually rotated the collar. noise magically gone. dunno might be worth a look. :rolleyes:

ports18 said:
Hi guys, this is my 1st or second post.

Just wondering if i could have some suggestions. i own a GT ZR 3.0, have been riging for 6 months, it is a nice starter bike, ride it every 2nd day averaging 50 to 80 kms. I had issues with the BB, at least thats what i thought. Local store took it out, re-greased BB, cranks, pedals etc. This fixed a grinding sound i was having about 3 months ago when pedaling up hills or really pedaling hard. Recently though I have noticed that i am getting a less severe noise but its still there. i thought it was every crank rotation, I tried pedaling with only 1 foot on a pedal but can't get the noise to re-appear, not sure if its because you can't put as much pressure with 1 foot, tried both sides but no noise. i have tightened cranks but fear I have over tightened as now I get a bit of play or a chink noise every time I put pressure on the pedals.

Any suggestions, i am getting it serviced this weekend, getting them to check the BB/Cranks etc but they will most likely think im paranoid, plus it could be something else. Any suggestions ? ?

Thanks Glen

Might be worth taking your pedals out and smearing some Vaseline on the threads. I had a very similar sound which took a long time to diagnose.

thanks guys

I'll definitely try the seat post tonight. in regards to the pedals on the last service they were taken off and greased up but its like they were put on with an air gun. Have not been able to remove them since and im not a small bloke.

I have had problems with squeeking and grinding noises in the past. What you must remember is that a bike frame is hollow and the noise travels through the frame which sometimes makes it difficult to locate where exactly the problem is. In most cases it is a loose screw or lack of lubrication. The 3 most common places are the screws on the seat, lack of lubricant on the seat post, and the screws on the water bottle cage.

Check these places out and see how you go.

You do know how to avoid cross-chaining and how to use the front derailleur trim? It isn't the chain rubbing on the FD cage? (Apologies if this seems a little patronising, but you did write that you were a starter).

Artemidorus,

Its not patronising at all mate, i am a new starter to the sport. I ride a lot but on the mechanic side of things I am a novice. There doesn't seem to be any rubbing, i do know how to adjust the front D, i learn't that initially so the FD cage seems clear. I have lubed up the seat, re-tightened, tightened bottle cages. I noticed tonight that the cranks seem to have a little play in them. For example every so often you hear a chink like they are dropping, hard to explain. if I was to stand on the pedals with normal shoes with the bike stationary you would hear a chink and feel a little give. The noise while riding does feel like a rubbing noise every crank rotation, doesn't sound like a rattle or something loose. perhaps i may get my local to check out the BB and cranks and loosen those pedals.

ports18 said:
Artemidorus,

I have lubed up the seat, re-tightened, tightened bottle cages. I noticed tonight that the cranks seem to have a little play in them.

Have you also checked the saddle is super tight on top of the seat post? You mentioned you were 'not a small bloke' somewhere above, & I am a 'big rider' as riders go too and have found that you need to give the allen bolt some real tightening to ensure that the seat doesnt move around on the micro adjust. I ended up ditching the post that came with my bike & bought a $150 easton seat post - good quality etc. This feels real solid now and no 'play' and no noise.

Hey Glen
Here's something else to try & it's so simple - I had a similar sounding problem after having my bike serviced, after much toing & froing the bike mechanic suggested I tighten the rear skewer (quick release) half a turn ... bingo noise gone. Gotta be worth a try mate. Aluminium frames have a lot of flex so it doesn't require much to produce noise

Good luck Trev;)

If it happens with your bum off the seat, then it's nothing to do with post, clamps or seat. This is very easy to test. If it goes when you stand and reappears when you sit then it is to do with post, clamps or seat.

It could be pedal, crank/BB axle junction, loose chainring bolt, BB in BB shell or even shoe scraping on crank. My pedal cleats make a lot of noise, as do my old shoes.

Get your LBS to ensure that your BB is sound and that your cranks are not loose or damaged. Tighten your chainring bolts (check the manufacturers website for torques).

Some noises just have to be lived with.

Thanks for all the suggestions people. I have taken the bike to the local shop, had a long chat with him. He will check a few things, I get it back tomorrow night so i'll keep you posted. I have taken in all your suggestions and he will be looking at the issues I have with the bike.

Cheers and thanks again,

Glen

Your front chainring bolts ?
Just thought I would throw in a component of a bicycle that hasn't been mentioned yet.
(if you get my meaning).

Both my MTBs make noise & I know where it comes from, but every fix I did, had the noise return after a short while.
I suppose the best thing to do i ride up to someone else whos riding a similar bike & listen to theirs, yours might be the quietest bike on the road.