Bike on a bike

Andrew Price

Guest
At a velodrome session this morning one of the club members arrived with his track bike attached to
his Vespa, something I have not seen before so I thought I might describe it.

The small metal luggage rack on the back of the vespa had a vertical pole attached say 18 to 20
inchs high with an articulated clamp after the fashion of a bike service stand on it.

Seat post of his track bike attached to that clamp, bike vertical with its front wheel up, long
strap with tension holding front wheel straight tied to arms on either side of the luggage rack - no
need to remove either wheel.

He said his only complaint was when he was using a disc wheel on the track bike made cross winds
tricky (as it does in normal use).

Have no idea if the method complies with RTA regulations or is a safe method of transport but it
seemed to be quick and efficient.

best, Andrew

> At a velodrome session this morning one of the club members arrived with his track bike attached
> to his Vespa, something I have not seen before so I thought I might describe it.

Shame you didn't have a camera handy, I would have loved to se that!

--
Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may
have occurred during transmission

"Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> At a velodrome session this morning one of the club members arrived with his track bike attached
> to his Vespa, something I have not seen before so I thought I might describe it.
>
> The small metal luggage rack on the back of the vespa had a vertical pole attached say 18 to 20
> inchs high with an articulated clamp after the fashion of a bike service stand on it.
>
> Seat post of his track bike attached to that clamp, bike vertical with its front wheel up, long
> strap with tension holding front wheel straight tied to arms on either side of the luggage rack -
> no need to remove either wheel.
>
> He said his only complaint was when he was using a disc wheel on the track bike made cross winds
> tricky (as it does in normal use).
>
> Have no idea if the method complies with RTA regulations or is a safe method of transport but it
> seemed to be quick and efficient.
>
> best, Andrew

Dear Andrew,

Years ago, I hauled motorcycles by a small trailer hitch attachment that had an open piece of pipe
the width of the front hub. You removed the motorcycle's front wheel, bolted the axle to the
attachment, and removed the drive chain. The motorcycle was held rigidly upright and trailed happily
behind the car.

I expect that an enterprising Vespa owner could cobble together a similar trailing pipe, bolt his
bike's front wheel to it (a solid axle instead of a qucik-release might be needed), do something
about the chain, tuck the front wheel behind him, and putter off.

Carl Fogel

Originally posted by Carl Fogel
"Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> At a velodrome session this morning one of the club members arrived with his track bike attached
> to his Vespa, something I have not seen before so I thought I might describe it.
>
> The small metal luggage rack on the back of the vespa had a vertical pole attached say 18 to 20
> inchs high with an articulated clamp after the fashion of a bike service stand on it.
>
> Seat post of his track bike attached to that clamp, bike vertical with its front wheel up, long
> strap with tension holding front wheel straight tied to arms on either side of the luggage rack -
> no need to remove either wheel.
>
> He said his only complaint was when he was using a disc wheel on the track bike made cross winds
> tricky (as it does in normal use).
>
> Have no idea if the method complies with RTA regulations or is a safe method of transport but it
> seemed to be quick and efficient.
>
> best, Andrew

Dear Andrew,

Years ago, I hauled motorcycles by a small trailer hitch attachment that had an open piece of pipe
the width of the front hub. You removed the motorcycle's front wheel, bolted the axle to the
attachment, and removed the drive chain. The motorcycle was held rigidly upright and trailed happily
behind the car.

I expect that an enterprising Vespa owner could cobble together a similar trailing pipe, bolt his
bike's front wheel to it (a solid axle instead of a qucik-release might be needed), do something
about the chain, tuck the front wheel behind him, and putter off.

Carl Fogel

http://www.trail-gator.com/

In article <[email protected]>,
MSA <[email protected]> wrote:

> > At a velodrome session this morning one of the club members arrived with his track bike attached
> > to his Vespa, something I have not seen before so I thought I might describe it.
> >

> Shame you didn't have a camera handy, I would have loved to se that!

Maybe it looked like this?

http://www.motorcycle.com/staff/gord.jpg

http://www.motorcycle.com/staff/gord.html

Gotta love my old pal Gord,