Bike on a budget

Swoop

Feb 13, 2004
ok so I have around 1500 to work with. Looking for a bike that can handle some stuff but still racing oriented. I have taken a few good long looks at the new stumpjumper. Anyone used that triad rear schock? Any other suggestions..( by stuff I mean small drops..5ft or less and as much air as any root on the trail will give me)

First of all a Stumpjumper will not take a 5ft drop. Secondly check out the Giant AC series especially the AC Air, and third check out a Gary Fisher Cake, or a Trek Liquid. They are a little more expensive but they should be able to take "stuff."

a specialized stumpjumper would be able to handle the 'stuff' you're talking about swoop, atleast from my friends point of view from his '03 specialized stumpjumper... :::shrug::: but that's just him..

The stumpjumper is an XC bike. you stand a much greater chance of breaking components if you take the Stumpjumper over a more durable bike.

5 foot drops are not encountered on your average XC race. The stumpy is a fine bike overall that can handle trail riding and racing quite well.

If you want to go absolutely sick check out the kona coiler, is is amazing.

Do you want a freeride bike to handle the drops or an XC race bike?

The simple answer is that you can't have both in one bike so you will have to decide on what you want to do and then buy a bike.

Originally posted by Duckwah
Do you want a freeride bike to handle the drops or an XC race bike?

The simple answer is that you can't have both in one bike so you will have to decide on what you want to do and then buy a bike.

Yep, pretty much any bike capable of handling such drops will not be raceable. At least not at any truly competitive level.