Bike Overhaul... where can I find....?

cycling_jedi

Aug 13, 2006
I was thinking about overhauling my bike... completely stripping it down and rebuilding. I would use most of the parts already on the bike, but would replace some of the parts with better ones or as they needed it.

Besides Sheldon Browns website(which is a great one by the way) is there any good resources on the web about this? I haven't found anything good on google.

I am looking to get all the parts back into a "like new" condition as well as converting some of the mtb aspects into a road bike.

Any resource or experience you can give me will help.

gclark8 said:
Start with a map: http://www.parktool.com/repair/bikemap.asp

Did you see the "little jackie" project bike? http://www.cyclingforums.com/t363004.html
I thought it was an interesting project. In the same vein, I took a "Raleigh Talon cx" mtb bike and am making it into a "road bike" for use as an all weather commuter type of bike.

I saved some money by using some junk bike parts for the handlebar, brake levers, brake calipers, and also I changed the shifters from the "rapid fire" **** to use some cannibalized stem shifters (because I like them...).

I bought a new stem to bring up the height for me (I am a bit thick in the middle) so that I could use the "drops".

I also found that when I cleaned up the rear cogs and chain, that it skipped during pedalling, so I had to replace the cassette, don't know the gearing but the repair guy said it will have a "road gearing" rather than the mtb gearing, (whatever that means...) that it had previously...

still kind of wrestling with the brake cabling... but when thats done, should be
good to go... the only think I haven't done is to change the wheels.
it came with "road slick" type of tires but they are the wider type of wheels.

during a test run, I found that the bike was ok but NOT as nimble as my cheapie road bike that had the 700c x 25 tires... but still, not too bad of a ride for getting a yard sale bike...

65.00 - bike (probably could have gotten it cheaper...)
14.00 - stem (from bike shop...)
39.00 - cassette/chain (from local bike shop...)
12.00 - cable costs
20.00 - for junk bike parts (I bought 2 junk bikes from guy that displays
them in his front yard. there were parts that
were still salvageable.)
------