Bike parking/storage Solutions



S

Simonb

Guest
My company has asked me to research bike parking. As of next year, cycle
commuters will not be allowed to store bikes inside the building as we do
currently. I know about www.cycle-works.com in Winchester. I've been asked
to find something cheaper than their locker solutions (which start at £455
per bike).

Anyone got any links to UK suppliers of bike parking/storage solutions?
 
T

Tony Raven

Guest
Simonb wrote:
> My company has asked me to research bike parking. As of next year, cycle
> commuters will not be allowed to store bikes inside the building as we do
> currently. I know about www.cycle-works.com in Winchester. I've been asked
> to find something cheaper than their locker solutions (which start at £455
> per bike).
>
> Anyone got any links to UK suppliers of bike parking/storage solutions?
>
>


Try the University of Southampton which has won CTC awards for its
cycling provision. They have lockable steel cages with sheffield stands
inside. I would be pretty sure they did not spend £455 per bike.
http://www.unilink.soton.ac.uk/bikes.html

Tony
 
D

David Hansen

Guest
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 12:37:01 -0000 someone who may be "Simonb"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I've been asked
>to find something cheaper than their locker solutions (which start at £455
>per bike).


How much does it cost the company to build, run and maintain a car
parking space?


--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E
I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK government
prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
 
S

Simonb

Guest
David Hansen wrote:

> How much does it cost the company to build, run and maintain a car
> parking space?


I have no idea. A good deal more than £455 I assume.
 
D

David Martin

Guest
On 9/12/04 1:25 pm, in article [email protected],
"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote:

> David Hansen wrote:
>
>> How much does it cost the company to build, run and maintain a car
>> parking space?

>
> I have no idea. A good deal more than £455 I assume.
>
>

Contact Dave Holliday at the CTC head office. He runs a business
specialising in such things.

...d
 
M

Mike Causer

Guest
On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 12:37:01 +0000, Simonb wrote:

> My company has asked me to research bike parking.
> [.....]
> Anyone got any links to UK suppliers of bike parking/storage solutions?


There's a long list here:
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/environment/html/peo_com/papers/cycle01.htm

A surprisingly short list (broken website?) is here:
http://www.bpsa.info/intro.htm

Some links to further sites here:
http://www.nationalcyclingstrategy.org.uk/linker2_0_4/index.php?cat=2


Should be enough to get you started.


Mike
 
N

[Not Responding]

Guest
On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 12:56:29 +0000, David Hansen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 12:37:01 -0000 someone who may be "Simonb"
><[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>>I've been asked
>>to find something cheaper than their locker solutions (which start at £455
>>per bike).

>
>How much does it cost the company to build, run and maintain a car
>parking space?


Good point. As I'm sure they'll balk at the expenditure whatever it
turns out to be, it'd be wise to cite all figures against a "cost of
car parking comparator".
 
D

David Hansen

Guest
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 13:25:09 -0000 someone who may be "Simonb"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>> How much does it cost the company to build, run and maintain a car
>> parking space?

>
>I have no idea. A good deal more than £455 I assume.


http://www.countryside.gov.uk/Essen...nce_intro/CaseStudies/AL_ruralparkandride.asp
says that

"Phase 3 of the Park & Ride costing £235,000 was completed in 2001
and involved provision of 250 overflow car park spaces,"

That's an initial cost of £940 per space and I imagine these are low
figures.


--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E
I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK government
prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
 
D

David Hansen

Guest
On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 17:51:01 +0000 someone who may be David Hansen
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>That's an initial cost of £940 per space and I imagine these are low
>figures.


I forgot to add that each bike is one less car to provide a parking
space for.


--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E
I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK government
prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
 
P

Paul Rudin

Guest
" [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> writes:

> On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 12:56:29 +0000, David Hansen
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 12:37:01 -0000 someone who may be "Simonb"
>><[email protected]> wrote this:-
>>
>>>I've been asked
>>>to find something cheaper than their locker solutions (which start at £455
>>>per bike).

>>
>>How much does it cost the company to build, run and maintain a car
>>parking space?

>
> Good point. As I'm sure they'll balk at the expenditure whatever it
> turns out to be, it'd be wise to cite all figures against a "cost of
> car parking comparator".


A part of of the cost of car parking is the cost of the land in the
first place, which varies a lot depending on where you are.
 
Z

Zog The Undeniable

Guest
Simonb wrote:
> My company has asked me to research bike parking. As of next year, cycle
> commuters will not be allowed to store bikes inside the building as we do
> currently. I know about www.cycle-works.com in Winchester. I've been asked
> to find something cheaper than their locker solutions (which start at £455
> per bike).
>
> Anyone got any links to UK suppliers of bike parking/storage solutions?


We've got a big bus shelter, 8 Sheffield stands and about 50
wheel-benders. For 3,000 employees at that site :-(
 
P

Paulmouk

Guest
[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My company has asked me to research bike parking. As of next year, cycle
> commuters will not be allowed to store bikes inside the building as we do
> currently. I know about www.cycle-works.com in Winchester. I've been asked
> to find something cheaper than their locker solutions (which start at £455
> per bike).
>
> Anyone got any links to UK suppliers of bike parking/storage solutions?



Just saw this on the CTC weekly newsletter.


Take a stand

The cycling promotion charity Life Cycle UK has launched a guide on how to
set up and run your own cycle parking scheme. The Take a Stand guide is
designed to help local authorities and voluntary sector groups set up
projects in towns and cities across the UK.

http://resources.lifecycleuk.org.uk/product_info.php/products_id/83


Paul

Remove junk to reply