Bike parts in carry on luggage: airport security experiences?

RoyalDutchShell

Nov 1, 2009
Hi cyclingforumers,
I'd appreciate any ideas or links to other posts (I didn't have any luck searching) to my kind-of-strange Question:

I'm flying overseas and due to space and cost restrictions, shipping my frame and wheels by post, and bringing the rest of my bike in my luggage. To stay under the weight limit, I'd like to bring some parts in my carry-on luggage.

Obviously I can't bring the chainrings/cranks, chain, probably not the handlebars in my carry-on due to security, but what about:

pedals (shimano road pedals)?
seatpost with saddle?
derailleurs?
cables?

I had to give up a few tools at security a few years ago that I forgot were buried in my carry-on bag, but it seems security can confiscate whatever it sees as dangerous despite there being no specific guidelines...?

if you are shipping the frameset and wheels apart it's not too much weight savings to dissasemble the other bike components, i would ship the complete bicycle apart, or travel with the complete bicycle with me paying for the excess weight/volume fee. In that case you need to make for the most compact and tight package possible and then yeah that could mean to take out the stem and handlebars, the seat and seatpost, etc but they would still need to be carry inside the bicycle package/bag,

Took a chainset less chain but with cables through Stansted (England) the other week - no probs.

regards

David

Update : took a wheel balancing tool (Tracx : Exact wheeljig T3175) though Stanstead (London) in my hand luggage last week -I was anticipating some questions but no problems - not a flicker of interest from the guy manning the screen.

Of course once I got out to the Pyrenees it turns out to be as much use as a chocolate teapot as various parts are missing - but that's the buggerance of mail order..... doh!!

regards as always

David

Originally Posted by daviddb .

Update : took a wheel balancing tool (Tracx : Exact wheeljig T3175) though Stanstead (London) in my hand luggage last week -I was anticipating some questions but no problems - not a flicker of interest from the guy manning the screen.

Of course once I got out to the Pyrenees it turns out to be as much use as a chocolate teapot as various parts are missing - but that's the buggerance of mail order..... doh!!

regards as always

David
Thanks for sharing that. I ended up sending my frame and wheels by post, and the rest in my checked luggage. Security at airports seems like it's just for show- some people get totally scanned and scrutinized, and others walk through with all kinds of dangerous stuff.

Anyhoo, the cost of shipping by post was far more than what my country's postal website said (but by the time I was at the post office and had everything planned, I said "**** it" and paid their crazy fee). Then Customs in the landing country charged me duty on the my frame/wheels(!!). It got pretty expensive. There is no cheap way to ride when you travel, unless you have a buddy or club that will lend you a bike... :)