"NY Rides" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:While driving into Toronto this past week, I noticed a very cool looking bike/recreation path
along Lake Ontario.
Can anybody tell me more about this? Does it go all the way into the city?
Niagara Region is criss-crossed with cycling loops, and has a path parallel to the Niagara Parkway
(along the Niagara River between Niagara-in-the-Lake and Fort Erie).
cycleniagara.comcycleniagara.comOpen ↗
The "Waterfront Trail" is a work-in-progress with many parts using roads near the waterfront.
waterfronttrail.orgtrail.htmlOpen ↗
Toronto itself has several major paths through parks, as well as designated onstreet routes, as
well as some great riding on smaller / less travelled roads out of the city.
toronto.cacyclingmap 2003.htmOpen ↗
Lots of rails-to-trails projects
webhome.idirect.com~brownOpen ↗
Search this newsgroup or ont.bicycle for previous discussions of routes. A general search may
find articles and web pages.
I've found that MapQuest and Yahoo Maps seem to jump from showing more area than I need with less
detail, to the opposite. Streets & Trips has allowed me to print off some useful maps for my
exploratory rides (e.g., along the Canal Road to Bradford). I mark my routes on the map
afterwards, and write up a brief travelogue.
Toronto is a big city. I usually end up riding in traffic at least part of the way to a
destination. But you can park at the start of a multi-use path and ride all day long with very
little road time.
You can also take your bike on TTC (Bus, Streetcar, Subway) except at rush hour. I haven't
attempted the subway - I believe there are elevators at many stations (REL cyclists would just
ride down the ten flights of stairs :-)).
And there's GO Transit, with commuter trains and buses. Weird schedules and rules, but a good way
to avoid cycling through the city to ride out of town. For example, one could board east of
Toronto and dismebark west of Toronto, and save 4 hours of traffic and pollution.
hth