Bike Path Speed Limits

SteveA

New Member
Jul 15, 2004
1,309
On the shared path at the southern end of the Causeway in Perth, there has been long running excavation and re-surfacing work.

In the latest round, the road workers have put out warning signs - 40kmh and 'prepare to stop' on the approaches and 50kmh after the road works.

Within about 30 metres of the 50kmh sign the track hits a T junction. 40kmh would be very optimistic. 50kmh would be a bloody miracle.

SteveA

SteveA wrote:
> On the shared path at the southern end of the Causeway in Perth, there
> has been long running excavation and re-surfacing work.
>
> In the latest round, the road workers have put out warning signs -
> 40kmh and 'prepare to stop' on the approaches and 50kmh after the road
> works.
>
> Within about 30 metres of the 50kmh sign the track hits a T junction.
> 40kmh would be very optimistic. 50kmh would be a bloody miracle.

Contrary to popular opinion, particularly amongst motorists, the speed limit
is not the minimum speed to be maintained.

Theo
Who would like to see no speed limits outside built-up areas.

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 7 Aug 2007 09:09:45 +0800
Theo Bekkers <[email protected]> wrote:

> Contrary to popular opinion, particularly amongst motorists, the speed limit
> is not the minimum speed to be maintained.
>
> Theo
> Who would like to see no speed limits outside built-up areas.

What, to see how many people will swerve off the road while peering at
their speedos to find that funny circle with a line through it symbol?

Zebee

On Aug 7, 10:56 am, SteveA <SteveA.2ux...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> On the shared path at the southern end of the Causeway in Perth, there
> has been long running excavation and re-surfacing work.
>
> In the latest round, the road workers have put out warning signs -
> 40kmh and 'prepare to stop' on the approaches and 50kmh after the road
> works.
>
> Within about 30 metres of the 50kmh sign the track hits a T junction.
> 40kmh would be very optimistic. 50kmh would be a bloody miracle.

SOFT!

I suggest you start putting in... ;^)

Tony F
who probably wouldn't be hitting 50 either

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> What, to see how many people will swerve off the road while peering at
> their speedos to find that funny circle with a line through it symbol?

We have one not far from us. But it doesn't mean what it used to mean. It
now means 'there are no speed warning signs for any of the corners beyond
this point, but you're still limited to a max of 110 km/h'.

Theo

Zebee Johnstone said:
In aus.bicycle on Tue, 7 Aug 2007 09:09:45 +0800
Theo Bekkers <[email protected]> wrote:

> Contrary to popular opinion, particularly amongst motorists, the speed limit
> is not the minimum speed to be maintained.
>
> Theo
> Who would like to see no speed limits outside built-up areas.

What, to see how many people will swerve off the road while peering at
their speedos to find that funny circle with a line through it symbol?

Zebee
The family car has a 'night panel' setting for the instruments that turns all the instruments and their lights off except for the speedo. They light up if they need to tell you something but they generally are as dark as the inside of a big dark thing. The light on the speedo is also modified by the setting. Only the section from 0 to 160km (if I recall correctly) is illuminated and the section from 160kmh to 250kmh is in darkness....until you get over 160kmh then it lights up. Now that could give the driver a bit of a surprise!!!!

(Note - I have not lit up that segment of the speedo at night)

SteveA

On Aug 7, 3:00 pm, SteveA <SteveA.2ux...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:

> The family car has a 'night panel' setting for the instruments that
> turns all the instruments and their lights off except for the speedo.
> They light up if they need to tell you something but they generally are
> as dark as the inside of a big dark thing. The light on the speedo is
> also modified by the setting. Only the section from 0 to 160km (if I
> recall correctly) is illuminated and the section from 160kmh to 250kmh
> is in darkness....until you get over 160kmh then it lights up. Now
> that could give the driver a bit of a surprise!!!!
>
> (Note - I have not lit up that segment of the speedo at night)

That'll be a SAAB then. I had one as a company car for a while back in
the UK. After having it a week or so I was driving home on the
motorway (70mph) from Glasgow one evening and pulled out to overtake a
slower vehicle and did what I normally did, accelerated, moved past
then pulled in. I glanced down at the speedo and saw I was doing just
over 120mph. Oops! That's what happens when you treat a decent car
like the underpowered hunks of junk you've owned previously, engine
noise on accelerating wasn't quite the ear-drum busting experience I
was used to. :-0

Graeme

Graeme Dods wrote:

> That'll be a SAAB then. I had one as a company car for a while back in
> the UK. After having it a week or so I was driving home on the
> motorway (70mph) from Glasgow one evening and pulled out to overtake a
> slower vehicle and did what I normally did, accelerated, moved past
> then pulled in. I glanced down at the speedo and saw I was doing just
> over 120mph. Oops! That's what happens when you treat a decent car
> like the underpowered hunks of junk you've owned previously, engine
> noise on accelerating wasn't quite the ear-drum busting experience I
> was used to. :-0

You should try their Viggen model for real accelleration.
My son had a Saab turbo (9000?) some years ago. Ran like an underpowered
piece of **** most of the time untill the turbo kicked in. Overtaking
anything was a real pain.

YMMV

Theo