bike paths in london?

fabiosav

New Member
Nov 19, 2003
I'm going to be in London for 10+ days, and ride a road bike about 16-28MPH (e.g hesitant to go on paths packed with strollers etc...). I prefer safe off-road (but not mountain bike) paths. Anyone have a link to any maps? Is it worth riding in any park? If so, I'll rent a bike and have some fun. Just don't feel like fighting London traffic for 'fun" rides...

thanks,
fabio

"fabiosav" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm going to be in London for 10+ days, and ride a road
> bike about
16-
> 28MPH (e.g hesitant to go on paths packed with strollers
> etc...). I prefer safe off-road (but not mountain bike)
> paths. Anyone have a
link
> to any maps? Is it worth riding in any park? If so,
> I'll rent a
bike
> and have some fun. Just don't feel like fighting London
> traffic for 'fun" rides...
>
> thanks, fabio

Any nice off road path in London will be rather full of
people, except, perhaps, in the morning when you are
going to work.

New York City has Central Park where the bike racers
gather. The "Outer Circle" in London's Regent's Park is the
nearest thing to a London equivalent, although that has one
traffic light, and a stop sign, on the circuit, which is
about 3 km, I think.

London does have many back streets with little traffic, and
good routes through these are mapped. It's even better now
thanks to the "congestion charge" that cars are forced to
pay in central London, and also to the "ring of steel" anti
terrorist measures in the "City", the financial district.

The maps are free - it takes 19 of them to cover all of
London, out to the borders. Central London is map 10. They
are posted on the web. It's Transport for London which hands
them out now, no longer the London Cycling Campaign. See the
TfL web site www.tfl.gov.uk for more information. The web
site with the maps is, I think,
www.londoncyclenetwork.org.uk You don't get a good view of
the maps on the web, though, and the site always seems to
behave rather strangely for me.

Jeremy Parker

Try www.sustrans.org.uk

Vivian
-------
"We learned more from a three minute record than we ever
learned in school". No Surrender

"fabiosav" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm going to be in London for 10+ days, and ride a road
> bike about 16- 28MPH (e.g hesitant to go on paths packed
> with strollers etc...). I prefer safe off-road (but not
> mountain bike) paths. Anyone have a link to any maps? Is
> it worth riding in any park? If so, I'll rent a bike and
> have some fun. Just don't feel like fighting London
> traffic for 'fun" rides...
>
> thanks, fabio
>

> --

"fabiosav" wrote...
> I'm going to be in London for 10+ days, and ride a road
> bike about 16- 28MPH (e.g hesitant to go on paths packed
> with strollers etc...). I prefer safe off-road (but not
> mountain bike) paths. Anyone have a link to any maps? Is
> it worth riding in any park? If so, I'll rent a bike and
> have some fun. Just don't feel like fighting London
> traffic for 'fun" rides...
>
> thanks, fabio

As someone else mentioned, the canal towpaths are a lot of
fun, but don't expect 28 mph. Another option might be to put
the bike on the train and head for the countryside
surrounding London. Don't expect paved bike paths, but there
are a lot of lightly travelled back roads that provide
pleasant riding. I remember the Oxfordshire Cycleway as
being a really nice route made up of lightly travelled back
roads, there are probably others like it.
--
mark