bike paths in london?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by fabiosav, May 31, 2004.

  1. fabiosav

    fabiosav New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2003
    I'm going to be in London for 10+ days, and ride a road bike about 16-28MPH (e.g hesitant to go on paths packed with strollers etc...). I prefer safe off-road (but not mountain bike) paths. Anyone have a link to any maps? Is it worth riding in any park? If so, I'll rent a bike and have some fun. Just don't feel like fighting London traffic for 'fun" rides...

    thanks,
    fabio

    Tags:

  2. "fabiosav" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm going to be in London for 10+ days, and ride a road
    > bike about
    16-
    > 28MPH (e.g hesitant to go on paths packed with strollers
    > etc...). I prefer safe off-road (but not mountain bike)
    > paths. Anyone have a
    link
    > to any maps? Is it worth riding in any park? If so,
    > I'll rent a
    bike
    > and have some fun. Just don't feel like fighting London
    > traffic for 'fun" rides...
    >
    > thanks, fabio

    Any nice off road path in London will be rather full of
    people, except, perhaps, in the morning when you are
    going to work.

    New York City has Central Park where the bike racers
    gather. The "Outer Circle" in London's Regent's Park is the
    nearest thing to a London equivalent, although that has one
    traffic light, and a stop sign, on the circuit, which is
    about 3 km, I think.

    London does have many back streets with little traffic, and
    good routes through these are mapped. It's even better now
    thanks to the "congestion charge" that cars are forced to
    pay in central London, and also to the "ring of steel" anti
    terrorist measures in the "City", the financial district.

    The maps are free - it takes 19 of them to cover all of
    London, out to the borders. Central London is map 10. They
    are posted on the web. It's Transport for London which hands
    them out now, no longer the London Cycling Campaign. See the
    TfL web site www.tfl.gov.uk for more information. The web
    site with the maps is, I think,
    www.londoncyclenetwork.org.uk You don't get a good view of
    the maps on the web, though, and the site always seems to
    behave rather strangely for me.

    Jeremy Parker

  3. Vivian

    Vivian Guest

    Try www.sustrans.org.uk

    Vivian
    -------
    "We learned more from a three minute record than we ever
    learned in school". No Surrender

    "fabiosav" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm going to be in London for 10+ days, and ride a road
    > bike about 16- 28MPH (e.g hesitant to go on paths packed
    > with strollers etc...). I prefer safe off-road (but not
    > mountain bike) paths. Anyone have a link to any maps? Is
    > it worth riding in any park? If so, I'll rent a bike and
    > have some fun. Just don't feel like fighting London
    > traffic for 'fun" rides...
    >
    > thanks, fabio
    >

    > --

  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "fabiosav" wrote...
    > I'm going to be in London for 10+ days, and ride a road
    > bike about 16- 28MPH (e.g hesitant to go on paths packed
    > with strollers etc...). I prefer safe off-road (but not
    > mountain bike) paths. Anyone have a link to any maps? Is
    > it worth riding in any park? If so, I'll rent a bike and
    > have some fun. Just don't feel like fighting London
    > traffic for 'fun" rides...
    >
    > thanks, fabio

    As someone else mentioned, the canal towpaths are a lot of
    fun, but don't expect 28 mph. Another option might be to put
    the bike on the train and head for the countryside
    surrounding London. Don't expect paved bike paths, but there
    are a lot of lightly travelled back roads that provide
    pleasant riding. I remember the Oxfordshire Cycleway as
    being a really nice route made up of lightly travelled back
    roads, there are probably others like it.
    --
    mark