Bike paths London to Reading / Reading to Bath

Niblox

Nov 21, 2004
Hi All

I am due to start a five day trip between London and Bath (Somerset) on Sunday 29th July and I would like to know what sort of state the Sustrans (National Cycle Network) routes are in. We are taking the Sustrans route from Putney Bridge to Reading, then taking the Kennet and Avon canal route to Bath.

Are any of the paths underwater ? Also, is the Thames due to flood between Reading and Putney in the next few days? Any advice would be appreciated.

Niblox

I'm not sure about the state of the tow paths between Reading and Bath, but the floods have died down.

We're thinking about cycling from Reading to Bath this weekend. We'll do 20-25 miles on Friday, and 55-60 miles on Saturday. Can anybody recommend a nice B&B that we could stay in?

RobDickson said:
I'm not sure about the state of the tow paths between Reading and Bath, but the floods have died down.

We're thinking about cycling from Reading to Bath this weekend. We'll do 20-25 miles on Friday, and 55-60 miles on Saturday. Can anybody recommend a nice B&B that we could stay in?
Hi there, I don't know if this will get to you in time, but we stayed in two excellent B&B's on our way from London to Bath:

1. Beacon House, Lower Green, Inkpot, near Hungerford
2. Alisa B&B, Bradford-on-Avon

The guy I was with found them on the web - you should be able to Google them without too much bother

The only place we had difficulty with the bike paths was where it went under Chertsey bridge - 2-3 inches of water but it should be gone down by now.

All the best

Niblox

RobDickson said:

Try the following sites for the two B&B's I just recommended:

www.beaconhouse.inkpen.com/enquiries.htm

www.alisahouse.co.uk

I made a mistake in the name of the first one - it is actually located in the village of INKPEN, not INKPOT. Apologies.

Niblox

I made the trip last weekend, so the information, although much appreciated, is a bit late.

I'll put up details of my journey on my website in the next couple of days.

Thanks again for your advice.