Bike Paths

On Dec 20, 1:14 am, "Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Here's a link to a small map of PART of the extensive bike path system
> here in Lincoln, Nebraska.
>
> Just thought some of you out there would appreciate it.....

Yes it's true that folks find this amusing. Why on earth do you give
a **** about Lincoln, Nebraska??? Does it REALLY matter??? Or
is there some kind of new high or fetish that comes from the huffing
of extensive bike paths?

Personally I don't really care what it smells like in Lincoln,
Nebraska.

;-> ABS

> Here's a link to a small map of PART of the extensive bike path system
> here in Lincoln, Nebraska.

=v= That's all well and good, but I ask you, does Lincoln have
a trail system that connects the birthplace of Malcolm X to
a certain tourist attraction[1] that Gov. George W. Bush took
his good friends in the oil industry[2] for a visit to?
<_Jym_>
(Advantage: Omaha)

[1] The childhood home of Gerald W. Ford.
[2] His good friends The Taliban.

>> Here's a link to a small map of PART of the extensive bike path system
>> here in Lincoln, Nebraska.

> =v= That's all well and good, but I ask you, does Lincoln have
> a trail system that connects the birthplace of Malcolm X to
> a certain tourist attraction[1] that Gov. George W. Bush took
> his good friends in the oil industry[2] for a visit to?
> <_Jym_>

Jeez, guys, he just wanted to offer some info for somebody who might be
coming to Nebraska and want to go for a bike ride. Why all the vitriol?

Pat in TX

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:09:59 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>> Here's a link to a small map of PART of the extensive bike path system
>>> here in Lincoln, Nebraska.

>> =v= That's all well and good, but I ask you, does Lincoln have
>> a trail system that connects the birthplace of Malcolm X to
>> a certain tourist attraction[1] that Gov. George W. Bush took
>> his good friends in the oil industry[2] for a visit to?
>> <_Jym_>
>>

>Jeez, guys, he just wanted to offer some info for somebody who might be
>coming to Nebraska and want to go for a bike ride. Why all the vitriol?
>
>Pat in TX

I expected some of that. I just posted what I thought SOME folks
might like.

I couldn't tell you about the bike path system in Omaha. And I don't
think that any of the trails here connect to Omaha in any way.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Dec 20, 1:14 am, "Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Here's a link to a small map of PART of the extensive bike path
>> system here in Lincoln, Nebraska.
>>
>> Just thought some of you out there would appreciate it.....

> Yes it's true that folks find this amusing. Why on earth do you give
> a **** about Lincoln, Nebraska??? Does it REALLY matter??? Or
> is there some kind of new high or fetish that comes from the huffing
> of extensive bike paths?
>
> Personally I don't really care what it smells like in Lincoln,
> Nebraska.

Merry Christmas to you, too.

--
Mike Kruger
Gravity -- It's not just a good idea. It's the law.

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>>> Here's a link to a small map of PART of the extensive bike path system
>>> here in Lincoln, Nebraska.

>> =v= That's all well and good, but I ask you, does Lincoln have
>> a trail system that connects the birthplace of Malcolm X to
>> a certain tourist attraction[1] that Gov. George W. Bush took
>> his good friends in the oil industry[2] for a visit to?
>> <_Jym_>
>>

> Jeez, guys, he just wanted to offer some info for somebody who might be
> coming to Nebraska and want to go for a bike ride. Why all the vitriol?
>
> Pat in TX

Bike paths, like helmets, seem to be a very divisive topic in this here
chatrum. But I'm pretty sure Jym's post was lighthearted and not meant as a
dig... The other one was among the more bizarre rejoinders I've ever read
on usenet.

FWIW, I'm glad Harry posted the map... I travel *all over* the US and love
to hit those extensive bike path systems when I can... the loop around
Sioux Falls, SD; the extensive trail system in the Twin Cities, MN; and the
semi-loop trail in Springfield, MO are some of the nicer ones I did this
year.

My favorites are "touring routes" where you can take in much of the area via
trails that connect the parks... Sioux Falls does that nicely, it's about a
25 mile loop I think through forest, prairie, by creeks and rivers,
through/by downtown, among the suburban areas, through countless parks.
It's very thoughtfully made with many grade separations and bike/foot
bridges over water.

A common frustration though is these trail systems are often well-kept
secrets (inexplicably) and finding maps is a crapshoot online it seems.
Some park/rec departments do a great job of making info available, others
(unsurprisingly) can't seemingly be arsed to put up anything online. How
are you supposed to ride these trails if you don't know they exist or where
to find them?

So Harry, I've saved your map... I've got some friends in Lincoln and hope
to make the trip there in 2008, would love to hit the trail while I'm there.

brink

>>. Why all the vitriol?

=v= No vitriol here.

> I couldn't tell you about the bike path system in Omaha. And I don't
> think that any of the trails here connect to Omaha in any way.

=v= I know (well, knew) how to get about 2/3rds of the way there.
<_Jym_>

[email protected] aka Alan B. Stew(art?) wrote:
> OK, OK, I admit to a little vitriol.
> But I didn't call Harry 'dumbass' like they do in *some* newsgroups.

Is not "Dumbass" the standard salutation on rec.bicycles.racing?

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 19:24:55 -0800 (PST), [email protected]
wrote:

>On Dec 21, 6:17 pm, "brink" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Bike paths, like helmets, seem to be a very divisive topic in this here
>> chatrum.  But I'm pretty sure Jym's post was lighthearted and not meant as a
>> dig...  The other one was among the more bizarre rejoinders I've ever read
>> on usenet.

>Brink,
>Harry understands the 'bizarre rejoinder', doncha Harry?
>
>http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.misc/msg/5ce223214bae72f7
>
>ABS

Gotcha!!!!

Tom Sherman wrote:
> [email protected] aka Alan B. Stew(art?) wrote:
>> OK, OK, I admit to a little vitriol.
>> But I didn't call Harry 'dumbass' like they do in *some* newsgroups.

> Is not "Dumbass" the standard salutation on rec.bicycles.racing?

It's pronounced "doo MAS" ;)

--
Mike Kruger
Gravity -- It's not just a good idea. It's the law.

In article <[email protected]>, "ZBicyclist"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Tom Sherman wrote:
> > [email protected] aka Alan B. Stew(art?) wrote:
> >> OK, OK, I admit to a little vitriol.
> >> But I didn't call Harry 'dumbass' like they do in *some* newsgroups.

> > Is not "Dumbass" the standard salutation on rec.bicycles.racing?

> It's pronounced "doo MAS" ;)

Shawshank Redemption! -bw