Bike Pedals - Which Ones?

sjkatlaw

Jun 20, 2005
Hello,

I ride about 50 miles a week, but I don't know jack about pedals. I need new pedals - anyone willing to indulge me and explain the differences between SPD style, Look, Time, etc? Why would I pay 100-200 for pedals when I can get SPD-style supergo pedals for $40? I currently ride on a cheap set of Ritchey SPD-style pedals, and they work(ed) fine.

Is one style easier or harder to clip into/out of? Is the only difference weight? Does one style feel better while riding? I like the SPD-style pedals, but I've never tried other formats (look, time).

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You riding mtb or road? Road specific pedals like Time and Look are one sided entry whereas SPDs are dual sided. The one sided are easier to get in if that is any consideration. Also road pedals typically have a larger platform area which can be helpful for longer rides and better power transfer. Lotsa knockoffs Looks from Nashbar and performance under 50 bucks. Time's are sweet but can be pricey.

Thanks. I ride road. My current pedals are one sided SPD's. Is there a downside to buying a knockoff from nashbar, et. al?

What is the difference between look, time, and spd? I know that they function differently, but is there a difference in feel or stability?

sjkatlaw said:
Thanks. I ride road. My current pedals are one sided SPD's. Is there a downside to buying a knockoff from nashbar, et. al?

What is the difference between look, time, and spd? I know that they function differently, but is there a difference in feel or stability?

SPDs typically have a small contact area. SPD-Rs or SPD-SLs or more look-like. For the cash ($30), this is a good deal (pedals and cleats):

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=14540&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Just make sure your shoes have the 3 screw triangle pattern.

When you say that my shoes need the three-screw triangle pattern, are you referring to the cleat attached to my shoe? My current cleats are two-screw cheap wellgo SPD knockoffs.

Thanks for the link to the Nashbar Look copy pedals. Why would those be better than my SPD pedals? They look like they have less flexibility/float.

Thanks again.

The main differences you will get between pedals boils down to weight, design and interface. For example, Look style pedals offer either a fixed or 9 degree float cleat, and some of the older model pedals give you the ability to set the amount of float you get on the pedal--0, 3, 6, or 9 degrees. The float in Look pedals is evident in ankle movement really, you can spin your heel in or out, but your toe stays in the exact same place--the toe is the pivot point. Speedplay pedals offer far more float (the X series)--at around 25 degrees (can't remember exactly though). This float allows for your whole foot to spin on top of the pedal, so the center of the pedal is the pivot point. The Speedplay Zero series offers adjustable float from 0 to 15 degrees, and work in the same way. The pedals by Time (Impact and RXS series) add lateral float (5 degrees) to the mix--allowing the whole foot to move in towards or out away from the frame of the bike. Time pedals have the same float as Look for the heel and toe movement--9 degrees. The Shimano SPD-L series are very similar to Look, just a different name and design to them.

sjkatlaw said:
When you say that my shoes need the three-screw triangle pattern, are you referring to the cleat attached to my shoe? My current cleats are two-screw cheap wellgo SPD knockoffs.

Thanks for the link to the Nashbar Look copy pedals. Why would those be better than my SPD pedals? They look like they have less flexibility/float.

Thanks again.

Look (the verb) at the bottom of your shoe. If you have 2 slots you're spd only.

Me, personally, I've only owned Look pedals. I absolutely fell in love with them when I first started road riding and haven't bought anything else since. My first set of pedals were the Look 3.1. They aren't too expensive, but they will last pretty close to forever.

sjkatlaw said:
Hello,

I ride about 50 miles a week, but I don't know jack about pedals. I need new pedals - anyone willing to indulge me and explain the differences between SPD style, Look, Time, etc? Why would I pay 100-200 for pedals when I can get SPD-style supergo pedals for $40? I currently ride on a cheap set of Ritchey SPD-style pedals, and they work(ed) fine.

Is one style easier or harder to clip into/out of? Is the only difference weight? Does one style feel better while riding? I like the SPD-style pedals, but I've never tried other formats (look, time).

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Depends on your riding style. If you ride hard and don't stop alot to walk around in the cycling shoes, a top quality road/shoe combination is worth the money for the lighter weight, steeper cornering angle, etc...(I prefer speedplay myself because of the free float and two-sided entry). But for casual riding, touring, and commuting, a cheaper SPD type pedal will meet your needs. I commute on a Wellgo SPD shimano-knockoff with good success and easy walkability in the MTB shoes.

Well, there are a variety of pedals available online. There are many great sites which provide worldwide shipment. You can buy the pedals from the local stores if you want but I would recommend you to buy the pedals online because you can buy your favorite brand pedals at a much cheaper price than the locals stores.