Bike Porn (skip if you're not interested in pics of naked steel frames)

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by suzyj, May 31, 2005.

  1. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Hi guys,

    As promised, some pics of my new frame. This is the third one, a replacement for number 2, which broke at the seat-tube/bottom bracket join.

    I did this one with Henry James lugs throughout, and Columbus Zona tubing. It's a fairly standard fast touring bike, with 73 degree seat tube angle, and 72.5 degree head tube angle (suits 43-45mm rake forks). It's 55cm square.

    I have some stainless HJ lugs which I've been polishing, but rather than use them, I just used ordinary steel ones, and concentrated instead on getting good filler flow in the joins (through attention to join preparation and careful heat control while brazing).

    I'm fairly happy with it, and confident that this one will last. Now I just have to decide what colour(s) to paint it...

    [​IMG]

    The bottom bracket. A nice, uninterrupted line of silver goes all around the lug edges. No bubbles, good penetration.

    [​IMG]

    I put the braze-ons for the rack on the dropouts this time, instead of on the bottom of the seat stays. That moves the rack down a little and back as well, and looks more "normal". I'm using a Tubus stainless rack, which is really pretty.

    [​IMG]

    The head lugs and downtube shifter bosses. I like downtube shifters.

    [​IMG]

    I'm pretty proud of my seat lug. The stays join to the seat tube rather than the lug, with a micro-fillet, done in 56% silver. No pump mounting pads this time, as my pump rattled when mounted by the ends, so I'll do it differently this time.

    [​IMG]

    The upper attachments for the rack, moved up about 30mm from last time, so that they clear the brake properly.

    [​IMG]

    Token stainless content - the front derailleur tab, in polished stainless.

    I'll take more photos once it's painted and assembled.

    Cheers,

    Suzy

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    That's so beautiful i could cry!

    You must be getting faster now. Is this your 3rd frame?

    Hang on 55cm??? Have you got my postal address?

    hang on, I'll grab my coat. Im comin up...

    PS love those diamond-bottle-bosses...

    F"all-wet-now"Dutch

  3. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Kitten killer! :D

  4. Resound

    Resound Guest

    Thats's most pretty. Any chance of a pic or two of the whole thing rather
    than just selected details? I don't know why, but I find unpainted frames
    really esthetically pleasing...all form follows function rather than
    deriving from nice paint or bolted on hardware. Plus the fact that a full
    profile shot lets you take in the frame geometry and suchlike.

  5. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Resound wrote:

    > Any chance of a pic or two of the whole thing rather than just
    > selected details?

    Here's a terrible (blurry) pic of it before I added the FD boss and rack braze-ons:

    [​IMG]

    > I don't know why, but I find unpainted frames
    > really esthetically pleasing...all form follows function
    > rather than deriving from nice paint or bolted on hardware.
    > Plus the fact that a full profile shot lets you take in the frame
    > geometry and suchlike.

    I quite like them unpainted, too. Alas, before long though, they go all rusty and yucky :(

    One of these days I'll get my paws on a stainless tubeset.

    Cheers,

    PS: For Ed the wanker's benefit, my frame is proud to be gay.

  6. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "suzyj" <suzyj.1pxine@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote in message

    > Resound wrote:
    >
    >> Any chance of a pic or two of the whole thing rather than just
    >> selected details?

    > Here's a terrible (blurry) pic of it before I added the FD boss and
    > rack braze-ons:
    >
    > [image: http://www.littlefishbicycles.com/audax_ii_pics/overall.jpg]
    >
    >> I don't know why, but I find unpainted frames
    >> really esthetically pleasing...all form follows function
    >> rather than deriving from nice paint or bolted on hardware.
    >> Plus the fact that a full profile shot lets you take in the frame
    >> geometry and suchlike.

    > I quite like them unpainted, too. Alas, before long though, they go
    > all rusty and yucky :(
    >
    > One of these days I'll get my paws on a stainless tubeset.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > PS: For Ed the wanker's benefit, my frame is proud to be gay.
    >

    > --
    > suzyj

    You could always just hit it with clearcoat. That way you could keep it in
    all its steely glory without risking the rusty spectre of oxidisation.

  7. alison_b

    alison_b New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2005
    WOW! That is just gorgeous...

    ali, almost speechless

  8. Marty

    Marty Guest

    suzyj wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > As promised, some pics of my new frame. This is the third one, a
    > replacement for number 2, which broke at the seat-tube/bottom bracket
    > join.
    >
    > I did this one with Henry James lugs throughout, and Columbus Zona
    > tubing. It's a fairly standard fast touring bike, with 73 degree seat
    > tube angle, and 72.5 degree head tube angle (suits 43-45mm rake forks).
    > It's 55cm square.
    >
    > I have some stainless HJ lugs which I've been polishing, but rather
    > than use them, I just used ordinary steel ones, and concentrated
    > instead on getting good filler flow in the joins (through attention to
    > join preparation and careful heat control while brazing).
    >
    > I'm fairly happy with it, and confident that this one will last. Now I
    > just have to decide what colour(s) to paint it...
    >
    > [image:
    > http://www.littlefishbicycles.com/audax_ii_pics/bottom_bracket.jpg]
    >
    > The bottom bracket. A nice, uninterrupted line of silver goes all
    > around the lug edges. No bubbles, good penetration.
    >
    > [image: http://www.littlefishbicycles.com/audax_ii_pics/dropouts.jpg]
    >
    > I put the braze-ons for the rack on the dropouts this time, instead of
    > on the bottom of the seat stays. That moves the rack down a little and
    > back as well, and looks more "normal". I'm using a Tubus stainless
    > rack, which is really pretty.
    >
    > [image: http://www.littlefishbicycles.com/audax_ii_pics/front_end.jpg]
    >

    > The head lugs and downtube shifter bosses. I like downtube shifters.
    >
    > [image: http://www.littlefishbicycles.com/audax_ii_pics/seat_lug.jpg]
    >
    > I'm pretty proud of my seat lug. The stays join to the seat tube
    > rather than the lug, with a micro-fillet, done in 56% silver. No pump
    > mounting pads this time, as my pump rattled when mounted by the ends,
    > so I'll do it differently this time.
    >
    > [image:
    > http://www.littlefishbicycles.com/audax_ii_pics/seat_stays.jpg]
    >
    > The upper attachments for the rack, moved up about 30mm from last time,
    > so that they clear the brake properly.
    >
    > [image: http://www.littlefishbicycles.com/audax_ii_pics/seat_tube.jpg]
    >

    > Token stainless content - the front derailleur tab, in polished
    > stainless.
    >
    > I'll take more photos once it's painted and assembled.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Suzy

    Looks really spicko Suzy!
    Well done!

    Marty

  9. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    Speaking of bike porn, but a slightly different focus ... I went from looking at snaps of Suzy J's work to my LBS and the guys there were whipping up a frame made from 853, GT MTB-ish triple triangle ... but w/an eccentric bottom bracket and rear spaced for a rohloff!

    How am I supposed to cope with that?

    *Pout*

    till

  10. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    ooooh. custom or one of the american SS'in brands?
    (Spot, Salsa etc the lads at Spoken carry quite a bit of this. good for a wander/distraction when work is wearin thin...)

  11. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    Custom, it was in the same bare state Suzy's is in =)

    till

  12. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,310
    Till,

    you're in my part of the country - which LBS does such terrible things?

    SteveA

  13. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    Same guys who did this;

    http://www.aliped.net/gallery/Contarino-Tourer

    Quantum Bicycle Manufacturers in North Perth. They have built a couple of bikes with the rohloffs in em.

    till

  14. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    Awesome little fish this one... I bet you are as proud as, suzyj..... she is truly a beauty

  15. Marty

    Marty Guest

    till! wrote:
    > SteveA Wrote:
    >
    >>you're in my part of the country - which LBS does such terrible things?

    > Same guys who did this;
    >
    > http://www.aliped.net/gallery/Contarino-Tourer
    >
    > Quantum Bicycle Manufacturers in North Perth. They have built a couple
    > of bikes with the rohloffs in em.
    >
    > till

    Wow!
    What a cool series of pics. It's fantastic to see a beautiful bike
    evolve from a collection of metal tubes.

    Marty

  16. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    I sure hope Suzy's shed isnt as messy as that, she may be jealous about the jig though. who knows =)

    till

  17. till! wrote:

    > http://www.aliped.net/gallery/Contarino-Tourer
    >
    > Quantum Bicycle Manufacturers in North Perth. They have built a couple
    > of bikes with the rohloffs in em.

    Any idea what that large water bottle mount is?
    The one in the shop photos that gets swapped out at the end for two
    small/standard bottles

  18. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    I dont know whose it was, but it sucked anyway, and I got my tasty minoura back STAT!

    The minoura one with the slide-size and the spring neck-grabber-thingy so rocks.

    till