Bike Power Meter or Computrainer?

BillV

Aug 7, 2009
I'm just starting to research PMs and training w/ power in general. I'd like to know from the group, if you had to choose one option between using either an on-bike PM (and the associated training software) or an indoor trainer (eg a Computrainer and it's software) for guiding training, which would you choose and why?

BillV

BillV said:
I'm just starting to research PMs and training w/ power in general. I'd like to know from the group, if you had to choose one option between using either an on-bike PM (and the associated training software) or an indoor trainer (eg a Computrainer and it's software) for guiding training, which would you choose and why?

BillV

Depends on where you can do most of your riding. If you live in an area that allows most-of-the-year outdoor riding, then go with the on-the-bike PM; Computrainer if you live in a colder clime...

BillV said:

BillV
I'd go for any sort of PM for sure. That's because I am more interested into overall season's analysis. You may find it very frustrating to log all this interesting indoor training data without the ability to follow up later where and when it really count with outdoor training data.

If virtual reality is the feature you're looking for in indoor training, then maybe a powertap along with a good old but iMagic found on eBay for less than 500$ would be a decent compromise.

I have both (Powetap annd CT). Here are a couple of toughts:

I live in a cold climate. I had a coach last winter (Oct-Apr) that created monthly training programs for me on the Computrainer, it was mostly ergo sessions (with the Computrainer Coaching Software) with weekly 3D rides (TT).

If you have specific goals, short summer, a mind that can appreciate Computrainer sessions (not everybody enjoys) I don`t think there is a more efficient tool to target training sessions and measure progress.

I don`t race. My goal was to gain power during the winter to be able to do tougher rides in the summer. It worked. I got absorbed by the power data and bought a Powertap, but this summer I`m not really trainning per se, I am just pushing myself and doing tougher and tougher rides every week so the Powertap data is just an "after the fact" bonus... but for the type of riding I do I could pretty much measure my hill climb times and get a sense of the improvements (or lack of).

It is possible to use a Powertap on a non computerized trainer and create training sessions "similar" to a CT.

Right now the weather is nice and youd could not get me to do computrainer sesssion. They were mentally easy last winter ... and impossible this summer... I get my endorphins outside. If you live in TX... I suspect riding outside might be more enjoyable than inside almost all year round.

CT will shine :
- If you have the room to install it
- If you have a second bike that can be permanently setup on the CT
- If you have an extra computer or a laptop to set it up with.
- If you add audio-video entertainement to your sessions
- If you live in an urban area and want to avoid dangerous or unpleasant roads.
- If your winters are long
- If you have a coach that knows how to create training programs around it
- If you train alone and tend to cheat/easeup when riding outside... an ergo session on the CT does not allow cheating

Splurge ...:D ... get both !

I highly recommend you work indoors on a Keiser M3 with power, cadence, HR and all the tools you'd want. This is less expensive than a CT, and does not require complicated setup, calibration, etc. At least in my work indoors and out, the power numbers match up close enough that the savings are justified. That's just my 2 cents.

If money is not an issue - I'd go with what "midlife" said - get both :D

i have a Computrainer and Powertaps on all my bikes. if you have to choose between the two, here is my recommendation:

1). get a Powertap power meter.

2). buy a ordinary trainer and use the Powertap to guide your trainer efforts.

because the Computrainer takes about 10 - 15 minutes to set up (assuming you have a single bike), it can be a slight obstacle to its use. also, i have found the "calibration" of the tire sensor a bit problematic which leads to inconsistent wattage measurements. becuase of the calibration issue, i use my Powertap while riding my Computrainer, pay attention only to my Powertap wattage readings therefore no longer need to calibrate the Computrainer.

i am not knocking the Computrainer because it does offer advantages over an ordinary trainer -- mainly fighting boredom. But you can do most cycling workouts on any trainer provided you can measure your power output. Hence my recommendation above.

after all, the Computrainer will set you back approx. $1,500 (cheaper if you buy one on Ebay -- many sold there) while an ordinary trainer can run only $200. i believe this money is better spent on a Powertap.

My vote: the right on-bike meter (Powertap or SRM) + stationary trainer.

Factors that might sway me towards a computrainer would be a climate which offers a very short outdoor season, or a suddenly reduced ability to maintain focus while riding a trainer.

Powermeter hands down.

You can take it anywhere and get data and can still train indoor with any windtrainer. Why settle for only half the data. SRM if the budget allows then you get data from races as well. Then you get a better picture of your physiological improvements in cycling.