Bike Products you wish were available...

Racer_Rob

Feb 4, 2008
Hi, just wondering if there is any bike-related product that you have ever found you need, but isn't available.
For example I've often thought just having a single brake lever to control both brakes on commuting bikes would be good.
I heard someone made a bike jacket that flashes LEDs along your arm when you hold it out to indicate automatically. sounds niffty, but probably expensive!

So is there any bike stuff you wish was around? (but that isn't too wacky! :D )

I'd like a $20 powertap(or simply enough $$$ to buy one), really, or is that too wacky?

I think you could do the single brake lever for both brakes with a piece from a "gyro" (I think it's called, it's used for freestyle BMX bikes so they can spin the bars) that splits the cable into two. But really though, that would undermine the bike handeling under hard braking (back wheel would lose traction).

Black patent leather pumps with 6" spike heels, drilled for 2-hole SPD style cleats

...in my wife's size, of course.

Or what the hell, in my size, I know I'd look fierce sporting those!

I wish I could adjust my saddle height while I'm riding/racing. True :)

Maybe hydraulics. Let's all invent one a get rich

531Aussie said:

Adapt the hydraulic preload mech. off a sportbike rear shock w/ hydraulic preload adjustment (Ohlins, WP, Extreme Tech......yummy.).

I'd like to see clustered cassettes go away and cassettes made with individual cogs come back in a big way. I'd rather decide what ratios are in my cassette rather than have the manufacturer do it.

That's all I want.

alienator said:
Adapt the hydraulic preload mech. off a sportbike rear shock w/ hydraulic preload adjustment (Ohlins, WP, Extreme Tech......yummy.).
I can hear the cash registers already :)

It'd probably be too heavy for all the weight weenies

I'd like a $20 powertap(or simply enough $$ to buy one), really, or is that too wacky?
that really is wacky :p ...if only!

dgregory57, that's very interesting, i thought someone would have come up with one already!

Here's another one, tyres which display their current pressure on the sidewall. Would make pumping up using old-school pumps easier and help to show if you've got a slow puncture...somehow I can't see it happening though.

I had to post these somewhere :)

PMPfiniL.jpg

I'd like to see a road version of the Girvin Flexstem.

Saddles that can be customized for comfort.

road-specific disc brakes.

More nudity on group rides.

12 lb road bikes that don't cost $12K

JTE83 said:
You don't want to see nude men! Maybe nude women and crossdressers!
So, explain to me, how a person with no clothes on could be a crossdresser?

Racer_Rob said:
that really is wacky :p ...if only!

dgregory57, that's very interesting, i thought someone would have come up with one already!

Here's another one, tyres which display their current pressure on the sidewall. Would make pumping up using old-school pumps easier and help to show if you've got a slow puncture...somehow I can't see it happening though.
The technology is there already, I just can't see anyone paying $200+ for a 1500 gram road tire:D. Wait a couple of years, the research into automotive tire inflation indicators will likely trickle down to bicycles.

531Aussie said:

Crank Brothers has a seat post like you are hoping for...it is called "Joplin" I believe. It is intended for MTBs but it sure is nifty, probably quite expensive though.

RedRider2009 said:
Crank Brothers has a seat post like you are hoping for...it is called "Joplin" I believe. It is intended for MTBs but it sure is nifty, probably quite expensive though.
Hmmm, looks interesting. Apparently the lever works like an office chair. I wonder if the cool kids would tease me :)

joplin3.jpg

531Aussie said:
Hmmm, looks interesting. Apparently the lever works like an office chair. I wonder if the cool kids would tease me :)

If you check out www.Bicycling.com you can see a video and article about it, just search Crank brothers Joplin or something. I remembered seeing it in action on a MTB in one of their videos. Did you catch a price on that by any chance? I could swear I remember seeing an extra cable that attaches to your handlebars...so a simple push of a button moves it.