Bike protection

Kakashi

Feb 3, 2018
Have you ever had your bike stolen? How do you protect your bike?

Never, and all I've used was a simple cable lock which is the worse kind to use to prevent theft. I've been using that same cable and lock for about 40 years. Of course if you live in a major city with high crime then I can't recommend a cable lock system, but the places I lived were low crime rate cities, I did live in Los Angeles for awhile but I rode a beater to college instead of the good bike, and when I worked in LA I had my own office so I just put my bike in my office.

For a modern lock if I were to buy one today I would probably get the LiteLok, I don't have to worry about how to mount it on my bike or put it in a pack pack I can simply wear it around my waist. Little expensive but it will do the trick. The only thing about ANY lock is that they are all subject to an attack from an angle grinder which would chew up the strongest lock in less than a minute.

To be frank, the bike is not safe in our place. Even inside the village, you cannot be too trusting as to leave your bike on the side of the road with no one monitoring. You need a lock or have someone watch over it otherwise it may be gone in 5 minutes. The problem with bike stealing is that there are shops that buy second hand bikes. The thief could easily make money by bringing the stolen bike and sell it to the shop. Anyway, a good luck with a strong chain around the tire of the bike can be a good protection that will discourage the thief.

that sucks! the only lock I can think of that would stand half a chance is a heavy motorcycle lock like this: https://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-Legend-Padlock-Inches-Locked/dp/B001SMUBK8 It is expensive and it's heavy but it would take a lot to break it. And then just to be safe you would attach a second lock through the links of the chain near the first lock like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Hardware-S828-152-Shrouded-Hardened/dp/B001V5IYWE Though this lock does add another 2 pounds to the already heavy Kryptonite. By combining two locks it makes it tougher to pick the both in a timely fashion, both would take two different picking tools which most who pick only carry one type. Of course an angle grinder can cut the links on the chain it would take a long time and make a lot of noise.

I'm using chain lock and just place my bike near my dogs. I have 3 dogs and that's enough to protect my bike. I'm a dog lover and I recognize if there's an intruder depends on their barks.

I haven't experienced it yet, but I have a chain lock and I only park it somewhere really protected and preferably in front of a guard or a camera.

To be frank, the bike is not safe in our place. Even inside the village, you cannot be too trusting as to leave your bike on the side of the road with no one monitoring. You need a lock or have someone watch over it otherwise it may be gone in 5 minutes. The problem with bike stealing is that there are shops that buy second hand bikes. The thief could easily make money by bringing the stolen bike and sell it to the shop. Anyway, a good luck with a strong chain around the tire of the bike can be a good protection that will discourage the thief.
You're right, Bike is very easy to stole, and it was no plate number to track. It's easy to lift and put it in a closed van, or just simply ride it and pretend that it yours, and if they change the color, it really hard to recognize it anymore.

Reactions: Corzhens
You're right, Bike is very easy to stole, and it was no plate number to track. It's easy to lift and put it in a closed van, or just simply ride it and pretend that it yours, and if they change the color, it really hard to recognize it anymore.
In the evening news on tv last night was the report of a thief taking the bike from the garage of the house. It’s a good thing that the cctv worked well and the thief was clearly identified from the video. The thief said that he can easily sell the bike because there are bike mechanics who buy at a lower price, of course. The cop said that if no one will buy a stolen bike then the stealing will definitely stop.

Never had a bike stolen and have never used any lock. I've ridden if some not so friendly places and stop to go into a store every now and then and the bike has always been where I left it when I come out. More often than not I will have people just looking at my Zipp2001 bikes because they've never seen a bike like them before.

In the evening news on tv last night was the report of a thief taking the bike from the garage of the house. It’s a good thing that the cctv worked well and the thief was clearly identified from the video. The thief said that he can easily sell the bike because there are bike mechanics who buy at a lower price, of course. The cop said that if no one will buy a stolen bike then the stealing will definitely stop.
Yeah, but the problem is, there's no registration for a bike, compared to the motorcycle. I'm a member of a motorcycle group, and we are not tolerating those motorcycle parts, but the bike, it's easy to sell it even the whole bike because I think there's still no chassis number for a bike.

Reactions: Corzhens
Yeah, but the problem is, there's no registration for a bike, compared to the motorcycle. I'm a member of a motorcycle group, and we are not tolerating those motorcycle parts, but the bike, it's easy to sell it even the whole bike because I think there's still no chassis number for a bike.
Before the bike owner is given the license plate, of course, it has to be registered with a corresponding fee. Some people say that the fee is the catch to mean that the government will earn from the registration. I think they are still studying on how to implement the license plate for bicycles but they are intent in making an ordinance.

I don't know if there's already a chassis number in the bike right now like to motorcycle to recognize it even they change the color, but I think it should have for the protection of the owner also. Hopefully, the government prioritizes this.

Absolutely, bike theft is a serious concern. I've found that the best defense is a good offense - I've outfitted my trusty Van Dessel with so many blinding lights and alarms, thieves don't even bother. They just run away screaming, "No thank you, we'll pass on the disco bike of terror!" #bikeprotection #notallheroeswearcapes

That's an interesting question, but I'm not sure how it relates to bike maintenance and repair. To answer your question, I haven't had my bike stolen, but I know it's a common concern for many cyclists. As for protection, there are several measures you can take such as using a high-quality lock, securing your bike to a fixed object, and parking it in a well-lit area. However, it's important to remember that no method is foolproof. It's also crucial to register your bike and keep records of its serial number to increase the chances of recovery if it does get stolen. Now, back to the topic of bike maintenance, have you ever tried adjusting the headset on your bike? I've found that a properly adjusted headset can significantly improve the bike's handling and performance.