Bike Psychos Century [ride report]

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Russ Price

[earlier draft posted on BROL...]

Yesterday, I did the Bike Psychos ride running out of Coal City, IL. I left the starting point at
6:30 AM sharp, and, up to the first sag, managed to keep a near-20 MPH pace. I was shocked when I
reached the sag and was informed that I was the first rider there! I was *not* expecting that at
all, even though I had passed several other riders, and was wondering why I didn't see anyone ahead
of me as I approached the sag turn-off.

I didn't have that honor at any of the other sags though, since I tended to spend more time at the
stops then most of the other riders, and nobody's going to mistake me for a serious racer, anyway.
Besides, if I'm paying for the ride, I might as well make use of the amenities!

About midway between the second sag (Marseilles) and the third one (Mathiessen State Park), as I
neared Illinois Hwy. 23, the North Side Monkey Troupe :) blitzed past me on lowracers like I was
standing still.

Unfortunately, Ed Gin developed mechanical problems on Hwy. 23, with some sort of trouble with the
Cobra's rear wheel.

The only South Sider I met was Dave Goffard, on his faired V2, who rolled into the Mathiessen sag
about fifteen minutes after I did. He had left the start about fifteen minutes after me, as well. He
reported seeing Ed going the other direction back toward Marseilles at a slower-than-normal pace. I
hope the the problem gets fixed soon - the Cobra is one sharp-looking bike! Dave decided not to take
the extra loop for the double metric, so I took leave of him as we left the sag.

I took the optional loop through Oglesby to do the full double metric. The normal route through
Oglesby was closed due to construction; this was a Good Thing, since that involves a wicked climb
going out of town. Unfortunately, Illinois Highway 71 through town was "groovy," that is, the
surface had been planed away for repaving, with a nasty rough, grooved surface. Comp Pools to the
rescue! There was a guy on an upright who had been staying consistently half a mile ahead of me, on
this loop, until we hit the rough stuff. The 'Pools, in spite of being run at 105 PSI, soaked up the
worst of the road buzz, and soon I was chatting with the road bike rider. Oglesby was definitely fat
tire territory this year! :eek:) The roadie was quite interested in the Rocket, and we might have
another convert soon. :) We rode back together into the second stop at Mathiessen.

Heading out from there, I saw another rider on a bright-red '01 or '02 Rocket going the other way -
the first time I've seen another one on any ride I've taken. The twist-n-turn route through Starved
Rock State Park was good fun, but once out of the park, along the river, my energy started to flag a
bit. I came up to a couple drafting one another, but they then pulled ahead. For the third year in a
row, the climb up Fosse Road defeated me, with a walk up the worst slope of the hill.

East of Ottawa, I came upon the couple that had pulled ahead earlier, and managed to pass them the
second time around. Then I came upon the much-welcomed downhill run on Gentleman-Trumbo Road. I
didn't try to break my personal speed record this time, but I still managed 41.3 MPH on that little
run. My left foot started to hurt, and the second stop at Marseilles was a relief.

The ascents heading south from Marseilles, while not matching the sheer brutality of Fosse Rd., were
nonetheless a bit trying, especially with the southwest wind that had whipped up. The turn to go
east was appreciated, and soon I was running a decent pace again. As I neared the last sag, though,
my left foot started to become sheer agony. I finally figured it out - by slightly loosening the
laces and strap, my foot felt a lot better.

As I headed back to the parking lot, my pace was highly variable - any bit of upslope or headwind
slowed me down quite a bit, and I was eager to get the ride over with. Still, when I pulled up to my
car at about
4:00 PM, I had the fastest century-plus pace that I've ever managed. Overall, 124.85 miles in
7:11:32 of seat time, for a 17.36 MPH rolling average - I was on fire yesterday! Indeed, all of my
faster rides were under 50 miles, and most were under 30. Still, not a bad showing for my Touring
Rocket. Swapping out the Marathons for the Comp Pools was a good idea!

It was very nice not to have tire troubles this time around! No nagging chunks of glass or
mechanical troubles. The weather was picture-perfect, although it got into the mid-80s as afternoon
approached.

As usual, the event was supremely well-organized, with nicely-stocked rest stops and plenty of
sag wagons out and about. If you ever want to do a Chicago-area organized ride, this is an
excellent choice.

Now I'm looking forward to the Lakeshore Century coming up... I've decided against doing ODRAM due
to the logistical problems involved.
--
Russ [email protected] the wabbit to despam "I am not a crook."
-Richard M. Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.