Bike purchase comments.

Ice025

Jul 21, 2004
Hey everyone. I'm a newbie mtn biker. I just started riding last year on a 04 trek bike. It was a cheap model, the 4300. The shock was crappy and the components were low end. I decided to upgrade and buy a new bike this year since i had such a great time. I went with the trek 6700. From what I read on these forums, it dosen't seem like too many people here are into trek mtb's. I'm not sure why though b/c they seem like a great buy for the money, and they are solid bikes. Can anyone tell me why people aren't that into treks when it comes to mtb'ing. Also, I picked up this bike for 999 USD at my LBS.

http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1044600&f=19

Would u say I got a good deal for the money? Anyone have one? Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated. I get alot of useful info by searching thru these forums and I'll be riding alot more this year so i plan on doing alot of posting here. Thanks in advance.

Dude. You cannot go wrong with a Trek. I wish I had one or two myself.

Beside Our Prez rides one. (we know how much you guys love him:p) Not to mention Lance.

And yes I would say you gota a pretty good deal. Congrats!

There's nothing wrong with Trek MTBs, nothing more so than there is wrong with Konas, Santa Cruz, Specialized, etc. Saying otherwise is either ignorance or just stupidity.

If you've tested the bike and find you like it, go for it.

Hey out here a SA for quite a long time we only had a few suppliers of MTB'S of which TREK probably had the LIONS share of the market being, decent bikes. I PERSONALLY OWN TWO TREK MTB'S, but then the Rand improved and we suddenly have 100's of different bikes to choose from, all at more competitive prices.

Trek now sells in two categories here beginner market, sold in sport warehouses and then the top end at Trek dealerships.

So we have many MTBikers ridding the 4000 series, some like you move to more expensive bikes and some guys do 1000,s of ks on their so called entry level bikes.

The top end choice is so open now that TREK has lost its footing, I personally own a Scott Full sus and it was less than half the price of a similar set up Trek.

However on the road scene thanks to Lance, you’ll find tens of thousands of top of the range bikes.