bike purchase

Specialized27

New Member
Aug 5, 2003
I need some advice on a good first mountain bike. Any info is welcome, but I am looking for a bike in the 200-400 USD price range. I dont need to get a new bike if any of you know a good place to buy a used mountain bike that would be great! Thanks for any info,

See ya

Kyle

http://bbauer.gomen.org/newbike/

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Specialized27 wrote:
> > I need some advice on a good first mountain bike. Any info is welcome, but I am looking for a
> > bike in the 200-400 USD price range. I dont need to get a new bike if any of you know a good
> > place to buy a used mountain bike that would be great! Thanks for any info,
> >
> > See ya
> >
> > Kyle
> >

> http://bbauer.gomen.org/newbike/

That's an excellent resource and much-needed; but I disagree with some of his qualitative
assessments.

Shimano LX is not a "minimum standard" for hard riding. It has been called the "gold standard" -
meaning that every boutique manufacturer should strive to match LX's durability and precision as a
minimum requirement. I would also argue that XT is the practical peak of MTB components, with XTR
falling well into the "diminishing returns" range. I agree with many others who have said that Deore
(one step down in quality from LX) is the best component value (price/performance) on the market.

Hi-tensile steel bikes are at least as durable and tough as any other frame material. Ultralight
aluminum "beer can" bikes are much more likely to fail catastrophically than oversized thick-walled
straight-gauge hi-ten steel frames. Where cheap steel bikes are found lacking is mostly in the
wheels, handlebars and other cheaply-built components. However, many low-end bike-shop brands are
only a hair's breadth away from better-quality dept store bikes in component choices, while their
prices may be 2x as much.

7-speed cassettes are *just fine* for any application. There is no practical argument against them,
on any score, especially since replacement parts are plentiful and cheap. Seven speed is fine for
steep climbing, too: Shimano makes Megarange 7-speed cassettes with a 34T cog - the largest rear cog
on the market - and they put them on many low-end bikes. A 21-speed bike can go as fast, shift as
well and climb as easily as any other bike on the market. Period. The only gearing impediment might
be a crank with too-tall gearing (28-38-48 is not uncommon on cheaper bikes.)

Just my $.02 worth...

-=B=-

"Barry Bargain" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<%pt7b.409214$uu5.74180@sccrnsc04>...
> "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > http://bbauer.gomen.org/newbike/
>
> That's an excellent resource and much-needed; but I disagree with some of his qualitative
> assessments.
<snip more barry bulshit>
> Just my $.02 worth...

Your $.02 is obviously not worth ****, especially when you start recommending walgeese. Blaine's
work on that FAQ was a conglomerate of the opinions of real mountain bikers, not bargain hunters.

JD

"JD" <[email protected]> wrote

> Your $.02 is obviously not worth ****, especially when you start recommending walgeese. Blaine's
> work on that FAQ was a conglomerate of the opinions of real mountain bikers, not bargain hunters.
>
> JD

You can't buy **** for less than $.05 these days here in So. Cal. Even then, it's still not
worth it. ;-)

cg

"Chris Glidden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > Your $.02 is obviously not worth ****, especially when you start recommending walgeese. Blaine's
> > work on that FAQ was a conglomerate of the opinions of real mountain bikers, not bargain
> > hunters.
> >
> > JD

Uh oh. I guess JD's awake now. <yawn> I'd argue with him; but he's in my killfile, and I have much
better things to do.

He's still smarting because I got a *much* better deal on my high-end custom bikes than he did,
without cutting any corners. So listen to JD if you like to spend lots of money on "me too" bikes.
Be a follower, just like JD.

> You can't buy **** for less than $.05 these days here in So. Cal. Even then, it's still not
> worth it. ;-)

So, when the **** hits the fan, that's costing you real money.