Bike rack adapter?

VeeDaub

May 6, 2012
I just bought a bike rack for one of my road bikes only to find out it won't attack to the frame as my bike doesn't have the mounting points by the rear brake. I checked on my other road bike and mountain bike and those don't have the mounting points either. I can only attach it on the dropouts which it then flops backwards. I've tried searching online for "adapter" "bracket" "mount" but I can't find anything on what the part would be called that I need to buy but I know I've seen them in the more expensive back rack kits, they just don't seem to sell it separately. Can anyone help me finding this part? From what I've seen online it's just a little bracket that is attached by the rear side pull caliper mount (the single center hole it attached) and it simply comes off of that into two threaded holes I can attach the back rack too. I've been searching for hours now and I'm almost thinking of bringing back my wooden back rack and getting one of the cheaper looking metal ones which cost more but come with that bracket.

I presume that in lieu of mounting points on the seat stays that you will want to use two P-Clamps. The above P-clamps are available from Velo Orange ... As you can see, there are two sizes, so you will need to measure the diameter of the stays ... BTW. If you are handy, then you can fabricate the clamps as a DIY project using either some brass stock which you can buy from a hobby store OR if you have some tin snips, you can cut some 'strips' from a tin can or its lid ([COLOR=FF0000]round the edges with a file + emery cloth!![/COLOR]) ... An old inner tube can be cut to prevent metal-on-metal contact. If your bike does not have separate stays above the brake mounting hole then you will want to fabricate a YOKE (i.e., , a WIDE-enough U-bracket) which mounts using the brake-and-fender mounting hole.

Reactions: VeeDaub