Bike rack for a garage?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Zzapper, Jun 13, 2004.

  1. Zzapper

    Zzapper Guest

    We now own 5 cycles, which are stored pell-mell in our
    single width garage. When I come to get mine I sometimes
    have to move two others. Has anyone got a practical solution
    for storing bikes in the minimum space, easy for kids,
    resonably priced???

    --
    zzapper (motorist,cyclist & pedestrian)

    vim -c ":%s.^.CyrnfrTfcbafbeROenzSZbbyranne.|:%s/[R-T]/ /Ig|:normal
    ggVGg?"

    http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=305 Best of Vim Tips

    Tags:

  2. Cheap at half the price: There are three bikes suspended
    from the roof beams in our garage, held there by nothing
    more than hooking the front of the seat over a beam.

    They haven't fallen down yet... :)

    It wouldn't be easy for kids, but you could leave theirs on
    the ground with just yours at the top.

    Phil

    --
    "Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    zzapper posted:
    > We now own 5 cycles, which are stored pell-mell in our
    > single width garage. When I come to get mine I sometimes
    > have to move two others. Has anyone got a practical
    > solution for storing bikes in the minimum space, easy for
    > kids, resonably priced???

    Garage roof beams for Adults bikes, hung up by front of
    seat, small U-shaped, similar to U-locks, brackets hung from
    beams to allow kids to hang their bikes up too .. hand-made
    from Alloy bar bought from... ahem .. a company I worked
    with once .. but also available at B & Q etc .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks

  4. zzapper wrote:

    > We now own 5 cycles, which are stored pell-mell in our
    > single width garage. When I come to get mine I sometimes
    > have to move two others. Has anyone got a practical
    > solution for storing bikes in the minimum space, easy for
    > kids, resonably priced???

    The joists in most garages are exactly the right distance
    apart for me to screw in two hooks and hang a bike by the
    saddle nose and stem. Of course, if you don't ride a 22"
    frame with an 11cm stem and the same saddle setback as me,
    this is probably useless information!

  5. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On 13 Jun 2004 01:53:02 -0700, [email protected] (zzapper) wrote:

    >We now own 5 cycles, which are stored pell-mell in our
    >single width garage. When I come to get mine I sometimes
    >have to move two others. Has anyone got a practical
    >solution for storing bikes in the minimum space, easy for
    >kids, resonably priced???

    Large hooks in the wall, positioned horizontally. Hang the
    first bike by the front wheel with the tyres resting on the
    wall (as if spiderman were riding up the wall). Place the
    second one similarly but hanging by the back wheel. This
    allows you the get them closer together. And so on along the
    wall. You can get special hooks for this at about 9 quid a
    throw or just use cheap plastic covered hooks from your
    local hardware store. These will bend a bit where they exit
    the wall but that doesn't really matter.

    --
    Dave...

    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. -
    Mark Twain

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:12:12 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
    <[email protected]> wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >The joists in most garages are exactly the right distance
    >apart for me to screw in two hooks and hang a bike by the
    >saddle nose and stem.

    Leaving the bike right way up, which is all-important. As
    Alan Lee posted Some Time Back, hanging a bike by its wheels
    is a really bad move, all of the free ions in the rim sink
    to the bottom of the wheel, stretching the top spokes,
    compressing the bottom spokes, and leaving a definite bulge
    where the hanger was.

    In addition, the butyl of the inner tube gradually
    deteriorates at the top as the nitrogen sinks to the bottom,
    allowing the pure oxygen to attack the black colouring of
    the butyl.Apparently only black inner tubes are affected, so
    clear ones will be fine.The front forks are also affected,
    as they are made to be in compression, and once the
    compression is released, the kinetic tension is released, so
    lengthening the forks.

    The only way to keep the bike in good condition is to use
    it everyday!

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  7. Steph Peters

    Steph Peters Guest

    [email protected] (zzapper) of http://groups.google.com wrote:

    >We now own 5 cycles, which are stored pell-mell in our
    >single width garage. When I come to get mine I sometimes
    >have to move two others. Has anyone got a practical
    >solution for storing bikes in the minimum space, easy for
    >kids, resonably priced???

    Decathlon have some offerings: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/u-
    kstore/famille.asp?int_DeptId=25409&int_DeptPereId=455 Or
    have a look at the single bike hooks, Wiggle have some.
    --
    A bad day on the bike always beats a good day in the office!
    Steph Peters delete invalid from [email protected]

  8. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy,
    you know? ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:12:12 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > <[email protected]>:
    >
    >>The joists in most garages are exactly the right distance
    >>apart for me to screw in two hooks and hang a bike by the
    >>saddle nose and stem.
    >
    > Leaving the bike right way up, which is all-important. As
    > Alan Lee posted Some Time Back, hanging a bike by its
    > wheels is a really bad move, all of the free ions in the
    > rim sink to the bottom of the wheel, stretching the top
    > spokes, compressing the bottom spokes...

    And this is a terribly bad thing for the wheel, which as we
    all know has to stand on the bottom spokes.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke)
    http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    Do not sail on uphill water.