bike rack for a pop up trailer

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by George Deasy, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. George Deasy

    George Deasy Guest

    has anyone made a pvc type rack for a recumbent to fit LWB
    like the easy racer sport model...what doe s it attach
    to,really dont want to drill into popup roof.thanks

    Tags:

  2. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 8 Mar 2004 12:01:27 -0800, [email protected] (george deasy) wrote:

    >has anyone made a pvc type rack for a recumbent to fit LWB
    >like the easy racer sport model...what doe s it attach
    >to,really dont want to drill into popup roof.thanks

    I had a similar problem with a small travel trailer. My
    solution was to buy a "Tow and Go" hitch rack from
    www.hitchrider.com. This allows me to carry the bike on the
    tow vehicle AFTER I have set up the trailer. Remember that
    once your popup is up, a rack mounted to the popup can't
    travel and if you or your bike break down, transporting the
    bike could be a problem.

    The only challenge that I have experienced with this system
    is that when two bikes are mounted on the rack, you have to
    be aware of the propane tanks on the trailer so that you
    don't bend a wheel during a tight backing manuver.

    The bikes ride high enough on my Jeep Grand Cherokee that I
    have no problem toting a XLarge Tour Easy and a diamond
    frame bike while also towing a 2000 lbs travel trailer. On
    long hauls, I remove the wheels and the coolback seat of the
    bike for aerodynamics, but I don't bother unless there are
    interstate highways on the route.

    PS I used to own a popup. Unless the roof systems are much
    better than they used to be, putting any weight on the
    roof is an invitation to water penetration and major
    repair costs. If you do decide to go with the roof
    system, I would mount the rack to some sort of boards
    that would hold the entire weight off of the roof and
    place all of the vertical load onto the vertical portions
    of the roof. If this is a commercial unit, see if your RV
    dealer will warranty the installation against water
    and/or weight damage. If they balk... how about mounting
    a roof rack on the tow vehicle?

    Hope this helps.

  3. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (george deasy) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > has anyone made a pvc type rack for a recumbent to fit LWB
    > like the easy racer sport model...what doe s it attach
    > to,really dont want to drill into popup roof.thanks

    PVC is an extremely poor rack material. It starts out weak
    and flexible and deteriorates in sunlight (remember, if
    it's water pipe it's supposed to be buried. It will break
    very quickly.

    What kind of trailer is it? Since I can't see your trailer,
    I don't know what is needed. I'd suggest you take your
    trailer to a dedicated rack shop such as Rack Attack (
    http://www.rackattack.com/ ) and see what they have. If
    there's no gutters on the trailer, they have cleats that
    attach to the sides of fiberglass truck caps to allow
    mounting conventional load bars on top. Drilling may be
    necessary, though.

    Jeff

  4. Prints

    Prints Guest

    I made a flat weldmesh tray that's welded to a length of
    square tube that slots into the Caravan (RV) hitch on my
    car. The tray folds in half, so that it will fit in the boot
    (trunk) ((it's illegal in Australia to carry an empty bike
    rack on a car.)) I have a commercial "light board" normally
    used for boat trailers. This is tied to the rear of whatever
    trike I'm carrying and plugged into the hitch 7 pin outlet.

    It works very well. Toe straps hold the trike in position
    and the weldmesh provides the perfect tie points.

    Paul W - MR Swiftlet S2

  5. George Deasy

    George Deasy Guest

    "Prints" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I made a flat weldmesh tray that's welded to a length of
    > square tube that slots into the Caravan (RV) hitch on my
    > car. The tray folds in half, so that it will fit in the
    > boot (trunk) ((it's illegal in Australia to carry an empty
    > bike rack on a car.)) I have a commercial "light board"
    > normally used for boat trailers. This is tied to the rear
    > of whatever trike I'm carrying and plugged into the hitch
    > 7 pin outlet.
    >
    > It works very well. Toe straps hold the trike in position
    > and the weldmesh provides the perfect tie points.
    >
    > Paul W - MR Swiftlet S2

    well lots of good thoughts..ive got a coleman pop
    up"hatteras" model..im thinking tie down straps will hold
    down the bike to the roof of the coleman..if i use pvc tubes
    to create abn interface to the roof for protection of the
    roof it should work O.K....ive seen somewhere a nice pvc
    unit,and wonder if its worth making when all i need is some
    long tie down straps...ive got a couple months to think ofa
    good carrier option...i might buy a recumbent trike to match
    mine and will have that to think about also...