Bike Rack for Pickup Truck

Dario Wolfish

Guest
Now that I bought my Trek 5200 baby, I need to figure out how to schlep it around.

I have a Toyota Tacoma pickup truck and would like to transport the bike in the pickup bed.

What is the most economical and hassle free bike rack I can get to put in the pickup bed? My
preference is not to have to drill holes in the truck.

Email me at [email protected] or post your suggestions here.

As always, your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!.

Dario

Thule 822 Bed Rider- I've always been happy with Thule stuff.

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=22&sku=822

"Dario Wolfish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Now that I bought my Trek 5200 baby, I need to figure out how to schlep it around.
>
> I have a Toyota Tacoma pickup truck and would like to transport the bike
in
> the pickup bed.
>
> What is the most economical and hassle free bike rack I can get to put in the pickup bed? My
> preference is not to have to drill holes in the truck.
>
> Email me at [email protected] or post your suggestions here.
>
> As always, your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!.
>
> Dario

"Dario Wolfish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Now that I bought my Trek 5200 baby, I need to figure out how to schlep it around.
>
> I have a Toyota Tacoma pickup truck and would like to transport the bike in the pickup bed.
>
> What is the most economical and hassle free bike rack I can get to put in the pickup bed? My
> preference is not to have to drill holes in the truck.
>
> Email me at [email protected] or post your suggestions here.

A couple Bike Tights http://www.biketight.com/ and a two-by-four kept my bikes in place for a 2,000
mile run up and down the West Coast. Similar fork mounts are available from several manufacturers.

> As always, your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!.
>
> Dario

Awww... shucks...

Jeff

I always just layed my bike on its side in the bed. If you are concerned about scratching etc you
can lay a blanket or such on the bed. What is the purpose of a rack device in a pickup bed?

Dan Goldenberg Seattle WA

"Dan Goldenberg" <[email protected]> writes:

> I always just layed my bike on its side in the bed. If you are concerned about scratching etc you
> can lay a blanket or such on the bed. What is the purpose of a rack device in a pickup bed?

With one or two bikes, not a whole lot. You're right, just lay them on their side.

However, with a cheap home-made rack (2 2x6s and 6 $10 fork-mounts) I can now comfortably carry 6
bikes in my truck bed, without worrying about damage to the bikes (except for the occasional errant
rock). If necessary, it could be rigged to support 9 (7 interleaved front-to-back, and one each
horizontal in the front and back).

Sam

"Dario Wolfish" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Now that I bought my Trek 5200 baby, I need to figure out how to schlep it around.
>
> I have a Toyota Tacoma pickup truck and would like to transport the bike in the pickup bed.
>
> What is the most economical and hassle free bike rack I can get to put in the pickup bed? My
> preference is not to have to drill holes in the truck.
>
> Email me at [email protected] or post your suggestions here.
>
> As always, your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!.
>
> Dario

I have a Yakima Beddy Joe and I really like it. It attaches via nylon cables to the tailgate so
you don't have to drill any hole into the truck whatsoever. Plus to remove it, you just open
the tailgate.

However, you also said you wanted something economical. To accomodiate another bike in the back of
my truck, I bought a fork clip (you know, those things you put your front fork into to hold it in
place?) and mounted on a piece of 2 x 8. I then cut the ends of the 2 x 8 so that the ends fit
between the end of the bed (next to the cab) and the wheel wells. In other words, the wood is held
in place by being stuck between the wheel wells and the back of the bed. It works remarkably well
and was very cheap. Plus it is removable as well. You could probably get three or even four bikes in
the back of your truck with a setup like that.