Bike Rack For Pickup Truck

Dario Wolfish

Guest
Now that I bought my Trek 5200 baby, I need to figure out how to schlep it around.

I have a Toyota Tacoma pickup truck and would like to transport the bike in the pickup bed.

What is the most economical and hassle free bike rack I can get to put in the pickup bed? My
preference is not to have to drill holes in the truck.

Email me at [email protected] or post your suggestions here.

As always, your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!.

Dario

"Dario Wolfish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
> Now that I bought my Trek 5200 baby, I need to figure out how to schlep it around.
>
> I have a Toyota Tacoma pickup truck and would like to transport the bike
in
> the pickup bed.
>
> What is the most economical and hassle free bike rack I can get to put in the pickup bed? My
> preference is not to have to drill holes in the truck.
>
> Email me at [email protected] or post your suggestions here.
>
> As always, your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!.
>
> Dario

Do you have a bedliner? They usually have slots for 2x4's. I built a rack out of treated 2x4 & 2x6.
Holds the bike upright, bungee to the front of the bed.

Total cost, maybe $10.

Pete

Motorcycle tiedown straps work fine w/o having to build anything. Plus they are useful as tiedowns
for other stuff too.

"Dario Wolfish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
> Now that I bought my Trek 5200 baby, I need to figure out how to schlep it around.
>
> I have a Toyota Tacoma pickup truck and would like to transport the bike
in
> the pickup bed.
>
> What is the most economical and hassle free bike rack I can get to put in the pickup bed? My
> preference is not to have to drill holes in the truck.
>
> Email me at [email protected] or post your suggestions here.
>
> As always, your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!.
>
> Dario

This is what I did with my 2000 Ranger pickup......

1 - located the bolts that hold the box to the truck's frame. 2 - Cut a 2 x 6 to fit the truck's
width. 3 - Bolted a steel bracket to the bottom of the 2 x 6 4 - Secured the other end of the
bracket (which I cut a U shaped-end) underneath the bolt mentioned in step 1. 5 - Bolted three
locking skewers (see Colorado Cyclist item RCK-UX-2 for $19.99 each or your Local Bike Shop) to the
2 x 6. Mounted these at an angle to facilitate overlapping handle bars. Also made accommodation for
a tri-athlete friend and his damn Aero-bars.

The key to not drilling a hole tin the truck is finding the bolts that hold down the box. This
worked for me. YMMV.

Good luck, Jim in St Paul, MN

"Dario Wolfish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
> Now that I bought my Trek 5200 baby, I need to figure out how to schlep it around.
>
> I have a Toyota Tacoma pickup truck and would like to transport the bike
in
> the pickup bed.
>
> What is the most economical and hassle free bike rack I can get to put in the pickup bed? My
> preference is not to have to drill holes in the truck.
>
> Email me at [email protected] or post your suggestions here.
>
> As always, your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!.
>
> Dario

We had a custom made canopy that was as tall as our tallest bike. In a pinch, we can get 4
adults and 4 bikes in the rig. Not many vehicles can handle 4 bikes inside. For security, I like
having the bikes inside. and I don't like the systems that require the front wheels being taken
off all the time.

- Steve

Dario Wolfish wrote:

> Now that I bought my Trek 5200 baby, I need to figure out how to schlep it around.
>
> I have a Toyota Tacoma pickup truck and would like to transport the bike in the pickup bed.
>
> What is the most economical and hassle free bike rack I can get to put in the pickup bed? My
> preference is not to have to drill holes in the truck.
>
> Email me at [email protected] or post your suggestions here.
>
> As always, your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!.
>
> Dario

Um, I guess I don't care all that much about my bike (1992 Trek 930 Singletrack), but what I do is
just throw it flat in the bed of the truck, and go. Am I going to have problems?

Sam