Bike Rack For Pickup Truck

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dario Wolfish, May 15, 2003.

  1. Now that I bought my Trek 5200 baby, I need to figure out how to schlep it around.

    I have a Toyota Tacoma pickup truck and would like to transport the bike in the pickup bed.

    What is the most economical and hassle free bike rack I can get to put in the pickup bed? My
    preference is not to have to drill holes in the truck.

    Email me at [email protected] or post your suggestions here.

    As always, your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!.

    Dario

    Tags:

  2. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Dario Wolfish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > Now that I bought my Trek 5200 baby, I need to figure out how to schlep it around.
    >
    > I have a Toyota Tacoma pickup truck and would like to transport the bike
    in
    > the pickup bed.
    >
    > What is the most economical and hassle free bike rack I can get to put in the pickup bed? My
    > preference is not to have to drill holes in the truck.
    >
    > Email me at [email protected] or post your suggestions here.
    >
    > As always, your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!.
    >
    > Dario

    Do you have a bedliner? They usually have slots for 2x4's. I built a rack out of treated 2x4 & 2x6.
    Holds the bike upright, bungee to the front of the bed.

    Total cost, maybe $10.

    Pete

  3. Gazoo

    Gazoo Guest

    Motorcycle tiedown straps work fine w/o having to build anything. Plus they are useful as tiedowns
    for other stuff too.

    "Dario Wolfish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > Now that I bought my Trek 5200 baby, I need to figure out how to schlep it around.
    >
    > I have a Toyota Tacoma pickup truck and would like to transport the bike
    in
    > the pickup bed.
    >
    > What is the most economical and hassle free bike rack I can get to put in the pickup bed? My
    > preference is not to have to drill holes in the truck.
    >
    > Email me at [email protected] or post your suggestions here.
    >
    > As always, your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!.
    >
    > Dario

  4. Jmk

    Jmk Guest

    This is what I did with my 2000 Ranger pickup......

    1 - located the bolts that hold the box to the truck's frame. 2 - Cut a 2 x 6 to fit the truck's
    width. 3 - Bolted a steel bracket to the bottom of the 2 x 6 4 - Secured the other end of the
    bracket (which I cut a U shaped-end) underneath the bolt mentioned in step 1. 5 - Bolted three
    locking skewers (see Colorado Cyclist item RCK-UX-2 for $19.99 each or your Local Bike Shop) to the
    2 x 6. Mounted these at an angle to facilitate overlapping handle bars. Also made accommodation for
    a tri-athlete friend and his damn Aero-bars.

    The key to not drilling a hole tin the truck is finding the bolts that hold down the box. This
    worked for me. YMMV.

    Good luck, Jim in St Paul, MN

    "Dario Wolfish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > Now that I bought my Trek 5200 baby, I need to figure out how to schlep it around.
    >
    > I have a Toyota Tacoma pickup truck and would like to transport the bike
    in
    > the pickup bed.
    >
    > What is the most economical and hassle free bike rack I can get to put in the pickup bed? My
    > preference is not to have to drill holes in the truck.
    >
    > Email me at [email protected] or post your suggestions here.
    >
    > As always, your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!.
    >
    > Dario

  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    We had a custom made canopy that was as tall as our tallest bike. In a pinch, we can get 4
    adults and 4 bikes in the rig. Not many vehicles can handle 4 bikes inside. For security, I like
    having the bikes inside. and I don't like the systems that require the front wheels being taken
    off all the time.

    - Steve

    "Dario Wolfish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > Now that I bought my Trek 5200 baby, I need to figure out how to schlep it around.
    >
    > I have a Toyota Tacoma pickup truck and would like to transport the bike
    in
    > the pickup bed.
    >
    > What is the most economical and hassle free bike rack I can get to put in the pickup bed? My
    > preference is not to have to drill holes in the truck.
    >
    > Email me at [email protected] or post your suggestions here.
    >
    > As always, your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!.
    >
    > Dario

  6. Sam Yorko

    Sam Yorko Guest

    Dario Wolfish wrote:

    > Now that I bought my Trek 5200 baby, I need to figure out how to schlep it around.
    >
    > I have a Toyota Tacoma pickup truck and would like to transport the bike in the pickup bed.
    >
    > What is the most economical and hassle free bike rack I can get to put in the pickup bed? My
    > preference is not to have to drill holes in the truck.
    >
    > Email me at [email protected] or post your suggestions here.
    >
    > As always, your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!.
    >
    > Dario

    Um, I guess I don't care all that much about my bike (1992 Trek 930 Singletrack), but what I do is
    just throw it flat in the bed of the truck, and go. Am I going to have problems?

    Sam