Bike Rack for SUV *and* sedan?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mr . Toad, Apr 17, 2003.

  1. Mr . Toad

    Mr . Toad Guest

    Can anyone recommend a bike rack that can be moved from vehicle to vehicle, versatile enough for use
    with a SUV as well as a sedan? TIA John

    Tags:

  2. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Mr. Toad" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Can anyone recommend a bike rack that can be moved from
    vehicle to
    > vehicle, versatile enough for use with a SUV as well as a
    sedan?

    Thule or Yakima.

    There are plenty of other good racks, but these have the best support -- you can get parts and
    accessories everywhere. They also have good resale value if you don't need them anymore. You may or
    may not need different feet for each vehicle. The load bars have to be long enough to fit the wider
    of the two vehicles.

    If you happen to have trailer hitches on both vehicles, a trailer hitch rack is a no-brainer.

    Matt O.

  3. Joseph S.

    Joseph S. Guest

    I have a smallish honda CRV and with the big side of the of the split rear seat side folded over I
    put 2 mountain bikes mounted on fork mounts mounted on a strip of plywood that runs across the floor
    in the back of the car. The only trick to this is to turn the handlebars about 150 degrees.

    Joseph

  4. Joe Gilmore

    Joe Gilmore Guest

    I've been happy with a Thule that I swap between an SUV (Jeep Grand Cherokee) and a "sedan" (Volvo).
    But, I'm sure Yakima and even some of the "private label" racks (Performance Bikes) are decent. "Mr.
    Toad" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone recommend a bike rack that can be moved from vehicle to vehicle, versatile enough for
    > use with a SUV as well as a sedan? TIA John

  5. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Mr. Toad" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone recommend a bike rack that can be moved from vehicle to vehicle, versatile enough for
    > use with a SUV as well as a sedan? TIA John

    Check www.thuleracks.com and use their wizard thing to determine which parts are needed to put a
    rack on each of your vehicles. If you're lucky, you'll find that the "foot packs", or whatever they
    call the clips that hold onto the top of the car, are the same. If not, you'll need different sets
    for each vehicle. But, the crossbars and bike holders can remain the same.

    This doesn't mean that you're going to swap the rack back and forth 14 times a week. The bars fit
    into the holes on the brackets very tightly, and are held in place by set screws (if I recall
    correctly). You'll need 1/2 hour to an hour to make the swap.

    Yakima probably has a similar arrangement. Both companies offer bike carriers that fit into hitch
    receivers. Not a bad idea, but I don't know if they swing out of the way so you can open the
    tailgate of the SUV. On the other hand, getting bikes off the roof of the SUV could be interesting,
    depending on your mood, fatigue level, and height of vehicle.

  6. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Check www.thuleracks.com and use their wizard thing to
    determine which parts
    > are needed to put a rack on each of your vehicles. If
    you're lucky, you'll
    > find that the "foot packs", or whatever they call the
    clips that hold onto
    > the top of the car, are the same. If not, you'll need
    different sets for
    > each vehicle. But, the crossbars and bike holders can
    remain the same.

    > This doesn't mean that you're going to swap the rack back
    and forth 14 times
    > a week. The bars fit into the holes on the brackets very
    tightly, and are
    > held in place by set screws (if I recall correctly).
    You'll need 1/2 hour to
    > an hour to make the swap.

    Huh? Even if you have to swap bars, feet, and accessories, it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.
    I've used Thule racks for over 15 years, sometimes taking them on and off every day. It usually
    takes about a minute. The newer feet don't have the set screw anymore. They just slip on the bar and
    clamp down as they settle into a final angle. The only fiddliness is getting the bar perfectly
    centered, and even that's only for the most anal-retentive drivers.

    > Yakima probably has a similar arrangement. Both companies
    offer bike
    > carriers that fit into hitch receivers. Not a bad idea,
    but I don't know if
    > they swing out of the way so you can open the tailgate of
    the SUV.

    Nope, or at least I've never seen one that does. However, these racks pull out in about 1 second,
    once you get the bikes off. Also, they don't block the rear window if it opens, or the trunk of a
    car -- so you still have access.

    > On the other hand, getting bikes off the roof of the SUV could be
    interesting,
    > depending on your mood, fatigue level, and height of
    vehicle.

    That's one reason I prefer a car to a truck. I've watched people struggle with this at the
    trailhead. It's especially bad after a ride when they're tired and shaky. I've seen more than one
    bike get dropped on the roof of an SUV, ruining the paint.

    Matt O.

  7. Paul Westall

    Paul Westall Guest

    > > Yakima probably has a similar arrangement. Both companies
    > offer bike
    > > carriers that fit into hitch receivers. Not a bad idea,
    > but I don't know if
    > > they swing out of the way so you can open the tailgate of
    > the SUV.
    >
    > Nope, or at least I've never seen one that does. However, these racks pull out in about 1 second,
    > once you get the bikes off. Also, they don't block the rear window if it opens, or the trunk of a
    > car -- so you still have access.
    I have a Yakima reciever hitch rack and it is hinged. All you have to do is remove a cotter pin from
    the larger pin running through the rack bracket and it folds down. Mine folds down far enough to be
    out of the way of a station wagon door-I think an SUV would have even more clearance.

    > > On the other hand, getting bikes off the roof of the SUV could be
    > interesting,
    > > depending on your mood, fatigue level, and height of
    > vehicle.
    >
    > That's one reason I prefer a car to a truck. I've watched people struggle with this at the
    > trailhead. It's especially bad after a ride when they're tired and shaky. I've seen more than one
    > bike get dropped on the roof of an SUV, ruining the paint.
    Also why I like the receiver hitch rack, I can put a tandem on it by myself, even when tired. The
    roof of my car would be a bit of a stretch. Paul <Matt O.

  8. Mr. Toad wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a bike rack that can be moved from vehicle to vehicle, versatile enough for
    > use with a SUV as well as a sedan?

    Oh. You want a rack that will work on both an SUV and sedan. I thought you wanted a rack for your
    SUV that would hold a bike *and* a sedan.

    --
    Jerry Gardner [email protected]

  9. Mark Weiss

    Mark Weiss Guest

    >. Not a bad idea,
    > > but I don't know if
    > > > they swing out of the way so you can open the tailgate of
    > > the SUV.

    The Yakima Terragate and the Thule Trailblazer will both swing away. The Yakima model listed carries
    two bikes, while th Thule carries 4. Yakima also has a 4-bike model . Look at their wevbsites or at
    a reseller's such as www.rackwarehouse.com

    Mark

  10. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    > > This doesn't mean that you're going to swap the rack back
    > and forth 14 times
    > > a week. The bars fit into the holes on the brackets very
    > tightly, and are
    > > held in place by set screws (if I recall correctly).
    > You'll need 1/2 hour to
    > > an hour to make the swap.
    >
    > Huh? Even if you have to swap bars, feet, and accessories, it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.
    > I've used Thule racks for over 15 years, sometimes taking them on and off every day. It usually
    > takes about a minute. The newer feet don't have the set screw anymore. They just slip on the bar
    > and clamp down as they settle into a final angle. The only fiddliness is getting the bar perfectly
    > centered, and even that's only for the most anal-retentive drivers.

    OK....my bar/footpack combo is old. Even with the set screws removed completely, the bars fit
    EXTREMELY tight in the rectangular opening of the bracket, and this is when they're clean.