Bike rack for truck bed ?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Danzman, Mar 30, 2003.

  1. Danzman

    Danzman Guest

    Soliciting ideas. Looking for a way to mount bikes out of truck bed and on bed rails if possible ? I
    have yakima bike mounts and cross bars from previous vehicle and also mounting feet (?). Thanks for
    your input Dan

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "DanZMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Soliciting ideas. Looking for a way to mount bikes out of truck bed and on bed rails if possible ?
    > I have yakima bike mounts and cross bars from previous vehicle and also mounting feet (?). Thanks
    > for your input Dan

    I've seen this one done a number of ways. One of the mechanics I know drilled holes in the outside
    of his bed, attached some artificial rain gutters, and has a 58" rack setup with 3 bikes and 6-8
    pairs of wheels. I'd say that you could do the same inside the rails, and just turn the rain gutter
    mounts around the "wrong" way.

    The second way is to buy one of those racks that press fit between the rails. Less drilling is my
    choice every time!

    The third way is to go get one of those fiberglass tonneau covers and mount the Yak rack to the top,
    just like on the top of a station wagon.

    And then there's the buy a 2x6 (8?) and mount the Yak rack to it on the floor of the bed.
    Alternatively, you could probably build a small framework inside the bed and attack the Yak
    rack to it.

    Anyone else?

    Mike

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "DanZMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Soliciting ideas. Looking for a way to mount bikes out of truck bed and on bed rails if possible ?
    > I have yakima bike mounts and cross bars from previous vehicle and also mounting feet (?). Thanks
    > for your input Dan

    I don't know about other brands, but Ford pickups have a notched space in the bed about a foot
    behind the cab. The space is 2" by 4" for, you guessed it, a 2x4. The simplest way to put bikes in a
    Ford bed is to put a 2x4 in there and mount some fork traps to it. Our shop's Ranger can lug around
    4 bikes in the back, and it's dirt cheap.

    Chris

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > "DanZMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > Soliciting ideas. Looking for a way to mount bikes out of truck bed and
    on
    > > bed rails if possible ? I have yakima bike mounts and cross bars from previous vehicle and also
    > > mounting feet (?). Thanks for your input Dan
    > >

    > I don't know about other brands, but Ford pickups have a notched space in the bed about a foot
    > behind the cab. The space is 2" by 4" for, you
    guessed
    > it, a 2x4. The simplest way to put bikes in a Ford bed is to put a 2x4 in there and mount some
    > fork traps to it. Our shop's Ranger can lug around 4 bikes in the back, and it's dirt cheap.
    >
    > Chris

    ...and Performance is about to have those bike attachments on sale for $10...

    Mike

  5. Winston Shaw

    Winston Shaw Guest

    I purchased a pair of 2x4 hangers at the local hardware store (the kind that are used to secure 2x4"
    floor timbers) and pop riveted them to the inside of the pickup body walls in front of the wheel
    wells. You then cut a 2x4" to the proper dimensions to fit between the two hangers and install it
    between the two hangers. I used a few sheet metal screws to attach the 2x4 to the hangers. Finally
    you fit as many fork mounts as you need to the top edge of the 2x4" - I used Delta Bike Hitch Pro
    but any of those commonly available will work.

    --
    Sea Venture Custom Boat Tours

    "Custom Quality At An Affordable Price"

    Capt Winston Shaw 29 DeGregoire Park Bar Harbor, ME 04609 Tel: (207) 288.3355

    Visit our Web-site at http://www.svBoatTours.com Or e-mail us at: [email protected]

  6. Joseph S.

    Joseph S. Guest

    forget the yak stuff. way too complicated with bars and towers and trays and skewers and crawling
    around the truck bed to secure all that stuff. I have all that equipment but opted to use 2 of the
    delta fork mounts ( nashbar 2 for 30 bucks or so) attached to plywood. The mounts are at the back
    end of the bed so I can put the bikes in while standing with the tail gate open. I also have a cap
    on the back of which is the same height as the cab and I don't think the bikes would fit if I had
    the extra height of the bars and towers. Even with nothing securing the back wheels of the bike
    they've remained in position over many miles of travel. Joseph

  7. On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 23:55:27 GMT, "DanZMan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Soliciting ideas. Looking for a way to mount bikes out of truck bed and on bed rails if possible ?
    >I have yakima bike mounts and cross bars from previous vehicle and also mounting feet (?).

    Here's what I use in my truck:

    http://www.deltacycle.com/transporter/tailgator.php

    Does a good job hauling my bikes around, and I like having my bike(s) down in the bed and out of
    harm's way. The price was right, too -- only like $49 from Nashbar.

    Greg

  8. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > Here's what I use in my truck:
    >
    > http://www.deltacycle.com/transporter/tailgator.php
    >
    > Does a good job hauling my bikes around, and I like having my bike(s) down
    in
    > the bed and out of harm's way. The price was right, too -- only like $49
    from
    > Nashbar.
    >
    > Greg

    So a padlock can be used to lock the QR shut...how does the rack itself lock to the truck? If it
    doesn't, you might as well just lay them down in the bed.

    Chris

  9. On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 03:23:59 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Here's what I use in my truck:
    >>
    >> http://www.deltacycle.com/transporter/tailgator.php
    >>
    >> Does a good job hauling my bikes around, and I like having my bike(s) down
    >in
    >> the bed and out of harm's way. The price was right, too -- only like $49
    >from
    >> Nashbar.
    >>
    >> Greg
    >>

    >So a padlock can be used to lock the QR shut...how does the rack itself lock to the truck? If it
    >doesn't, you might as well just lay them down in the bed.

    Yep, that part's pretty useless -- they would just get a free back rack along with the bike! For me
    it's not really an issue since I don't park and leave the bike; all I ask of the rack is to keep the
    bike upright and safe in the back of the bed and so far it's done that fine.

    Greg