Bike Rack For Truck Hitch ?

brudford

Apr 4, 2015
Just purchased a new Felt Z85 . The top tube is slanted or on a angle like most modern road bikes now . I have a Ram truck with a 2" hitch . Question is ? How will the bike sit level on the bike rack with the slanted top tube ?

There are tray-type racks available for receiver hitches that hold the bikes by the wheels, leaving the frame untouched and undamaged and the bike sitting level. There are also frame-arm type racks that have arms with adjustable heights to accommodate sloping top tubes.

I would imagine you could bend one or both arms of a fixed arm type rack that has both arms at the same height or block up the head tube end of the top tube with a foam spacer.

There is no need for the bike to be level during transport.

Just purchased a new Felt Z85 . The top tube is slanted or on a angle like most modern road bikes now . I have a Ram truck with a 2" hitch . Question is ? How will the bike sit level on the bike rack with the slanted top tube ?
Assuming you have a pickup truck, my first choice would be to install a rail at the front of the bed which accepts the front forks and locks them down via skewer mounts. Simple and easy, and the bikes are somewhat protected rather than hanging off the back. Or, you coulsd just toss the bike in the bed. I have a buddy that's been doing this for years, doesn't seem to cause any harm to his $$$ bike.

If you want or need a hitch rack, suggest you check out the 1UPUSA rack. It's made of aluminum and high-grade fasterners so it should last "forever". The clamp arms swing up and grab the tires only, so nothing touches the bikes. I've been using one on my buddies vehicle for a few years now and it's always quick, easy and secure.