Bike Rack for Truck Question

cPritch67

Apr 12, 2004
I currently have a F150 truck and will be trading it in for a large SUV in the next few months. As much as I like the safety of having my bike in the truck bed, the family always insists on bringing too much stuff that I always get concerned about gear rubbing up on my bikes. I also struggle with the attachment methods for the bikes, since my mtn bike is a disc brake.

Knowing that I am going to be getting an SUV and because of the height I won't want to use a roof rack - so I figured I could get a hitch rack to use for both the remainder of my truck ownership and my future SUV.

The racks I have in mind are the hitch racks that have the bike trays and a bar and hook that latch over the wheel (either the Yakima Hook Up 2, Thule 969 or Sportsrack).

My question is whether or not I should be concerned with using the hitch style rack with a truck - a SUV usually provides enough wind shelter for the entire bike. With the truck, only a portion of the tailgate will block the wind from the bike. Anybody think it would be an issue? Or am I just being paranoid and babying my bike too much?

Anyone else use a hitch rack with their truck?

I have one on my '97 F150 since I have a cover on the bed and a couple of workboxes in their taking up a good amount of spacel. Works well, although I rarely travel long distances with it. Ironically, most of the wind tunnel tests with trucks show that the tailgate does not come into play as a drag factor so I doubt the rack would do any detriment.

Sorry if my original post wasn't very clear. I am not so much concerned about drag but more concernced about the bikes safe transport. The way I envision it, about 1/3 of the bike will be higher than the back of the tailgate (when it is up).

Is your rack one where the bikes hang from the top tube or one with trays?

Thanks
Chris

They hang from the top tubes. The are two "arms" that protrude that hold up to 4 bikes. Even though they have some plastic straps I always secure them with some extra bungee cords. The height of the top of the rack is close to the top of the tailgate so the bike is sheltered.

While my hitch rack works great, I am not a huge fan of keeping the bike outside the vehicle unless that is the only option. Call it paranoia, but I'm usually carrying a fairly high end bike. When I travel long distances to a race I usually drive my Honda Civic to save on gas, bike slides right in the back with the seats down!

Thanks, I share your concerns on putting the $$bikes$$ on the back of the vehichle. I have a Subaru WRX wagon and if I pack light enough I can put one in the car, if not, it goes on the roof - though not my favorite option.

My truck is lifted, so putting them on the roof is a definite no-no - too much risk of hitting things and drag. As I mentioned, I am looking at the other type of hitch rack

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=916

or

http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=29

both of them should be stable enough should the bars and top tube be a bit exposed to some wind.