Bike rack for trunk

Snoopy572

Mar 16, 2006
Well, I just bought a 2 bike rack from Walmart for $30. I put it on and guess it will do the job. Should I take off the front wheel to keep it from moving a lot or maybe buy some kind of lock for it? The road track I will be going to is only 2-3 miles away so, Im not too worried about it, but know I probably need a rack just in case I will be taking the bike with me on the go. Is there anything else I need to worry about with a trunk rack?
This is the model I have:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...387-5729611?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=3375251

Snoopy572 said:
Well, I just bought a 2 bike rack from Walmart for $30. I put it on and guess it will do the job. Should I take off the front wheel to keep it from moving a lot or maybe buy some kind of lock for it? The road track I will be going to is only 2-3 miles away so, Im not too worried about it, but know I probably need a rack just in case I will be taking the bike with me on the go. Is there anything else I need to worry about with a trunk rack?
This is the model I have:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...387-5729611?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=3375251

Make sure that the parts of the trunk that the rack will contact are clean of dust/debris before putting the rack on, or else the dirt will abrade paint of the car as the rack vibrates. Use a bungee cord or piece or rope to secure the front wheel from turning, or take of the front wheel, and secure the bars to keep the bars/fork from turning as you drive. Make sure that the bike hangs such that the tires are not in line with the exhaust pipe of the car. I have seen a tire get burned by the exhaust because the wheel hung down right in front of the tailpipe. If the bike hangs low, you may need to remove both wheels. Remove all loose items from the bike that could get shaken off when driving (computer, water bottles, etc...).

I have a Ford Ranger with a cap on my pickup and I just bought a part that just holds my fork down. It just gets drilled down in the back of my bed (make sure that you don't drill down into the gas tank or any important parts!!!). The little part has a lock on it in case your cap doesn't lock (like mine). It only cost me $40. I believe it's a Yakima part but I'm not sure.

I almost bought a hitch and a rack the other day, I was actually at the cashier and found out that the hitch I got is not compatible with my minivan, I guess it saved my from spending on stuff I don't really need. I came to realize that all have to do is remove the front tire of my bike and place it behind the backseat, i think can actually put three bike there if i'm creative enough without removing the backseat and it is safer that way.