Bike rack for VW Jetta ?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Fred Mau, Mar 30, 2003.

  1. Fred Mau

    Fred Mau Guest

    Looking for a trunk-mount bike rack for my '85 Jetta. Anybody have any specific recomendations ?

    The rack will need to hold 2 adult road bikes, and needs to be either (preferably) lockable in
    place, or easily detachable and collapsible so I can stow it in the trunk.

    At first glance, I was inpressed by the RHODE SHUTTLE by Rhode Gear, but I've seen very mixed
    reviews of it on the web. Anybody ever used one on a Jetta ?

    Thanks.

    - FM -

    Tags:

  2. Fred Mau wrote:

    > Looking for a trunk-mount bike rack for my '85 Jetta. Anybody have any specific recomendations ?
    >
    > The rack will need to hold 2 adult road bikes, and needs to be either (preferably) lockable in
    > place, or easily detachable and collapsible so I can stow it in the trunk.
    >
    > At first glance, I was inpressed by the RHODE SHUTTLE by Rhode Gear, but I've seen very mixed
    > reviews of it on the web. Anybody ever used one on a Jetta ?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > - FM -

    A friend of mine has a vehicle about the same age as yours, he pop-riveted Thule roof rails and
    Delta bike hitches directly to the rear deck lid. <G> Works great, except for all the funny looks he
    gets on the Interstate. He can still open the trunk with bikes attached.

    By any chance, do you have a trailer hitch? Nearly every trunk mount rack I've ever seen was
    easily stolen.

    Barry

  3. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Fred Mau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Looking for a trunk-mount bike rack for my '85 Jetta. Anybody have any specific recomendations ?
    >
    > The rack will need to hold 2 adult road bikes, and needs to be either (preferably) lockable in
    > place, or easily detachable and collapsible so I can stow it in the trunk.
    >
    > At first glance, I was inpressed by the RHODE SHUTTLE by Rhode Gear, but I've seen very mixed
    > reviews of it on the web. Anybody ever used one on a Jetta ?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > - FM -

    Any specific reason not to go with a Thule or Yakima roof mount rack? I'm sure that you can find an
    older used rack kit for the VWs for not a whole lot. Try posting an ad on rec.bicycles.marketplace
    and see what you get.

    I had an '88 Golf and could get 3 bikes up on top, and could still get into the hatch. With a trunk
    mount, you've removed access to the trunk without taking off the rack (high PITA factor).

    I mounted my Thule rack on once, and left it there till just before I sold my Golf. Instant access
    to the bike rack, even if it reduces your gas mileage slightly. If you're carrying bikes
    occasionally, it may not be the best thing to leave the rack up there, but if you carry around bikes
    fairly often you can't beat them.

    My ex- had a trunk mount on her Sentra that rubbed spots in the paint after a while. We put another
    Thule rack on her car too, end of rubbing problem.

    Mike