Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

bike rack installation question-stumpjumper

Started by Gregory Lotoczky · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,005 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
10 August 2004
Last activity
10 August 2004
Original author
Gregory Lotoczky
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,005
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey,
    I have a Stumpjumper M2 and im trying to install a rear rack on it, a
    blackburn tr-1 to be exact. The bike does not have any pre-drilled holes on
    the tube near the rear hub. Is there any problem with causing permanent
    damage to the frame if I drill the holes?
    -Greg

  2. "Gregory Lotoczky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hey,
    I have a Stumpjumper M2 and im trying to install a rear rack on it, a
    blackburn tr-1 to be exact. The bike does not have any pre-drilled holes


    on

    Quoted message said:

    the tube near the rear hub. Is there any problem with causing permanent
    damage to the frame if I drill the holes?
    -Greg

    I wouldn't. The SJ M2 is a race frame and Specialized did not intend riders
    to use cargo racks on them. The drop-outs are a minimalist design and
    drilling for a rack would seriously weaken them.

    If they are the type with an opening, you might be able to find some
    Blackburn Campy rack adapters. They fill the opening, creating a place to
    bolt the rack.

    Another thought is using the plastic coated metal bands around the seatstay
    just above the dropouts. This worked on my 96 Ground Control.

    If you bougtht the bike/frame new you'll be voiding the warranty.

    ---
    __o
    _`\(,_ Cycling is life,
    (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.
    The Nelson Paradigm =^o.o^=
    http://intergalax.com
    http://intbike.com
    Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.735 / Virus Database: 489 - Release Date: 8/6/2004

  3. Gregory Lotoczky said:

    Hey,
    I have a Stumpjumper M2 and im trying to install a rear rack on it, a
    blackburn tr-1 to be exact. The bike does not have any pre-drilled holes on
    the tube near the rear hub. Is there any problem with causing permanent
    damage to the frame if I drill the holes?

    Very much so.

    If you don't have rack mounts, look for racks that attach solely to the
    seat post, like the Blackburn SP2.

  4. Gregory Lotoczky said:

    Hey,
    I have a Stumpjumper M2 and ... Is there any problem with causing permanent
    damage to the frame if I drill the holes?
    -Greg

    Whoa, cowboy! Put your drill away right now!!! You might weaken the
    frame, and you will void the warranty.

    Your options are
    1. seatpost mounted rack;

    2. the little plastic coated metal straps that come with most of the $20
    racks (and are overflowing out of a drawer somewhere at every bike shop
    in the Western world);

    3. Beefier thick alloy clamps designed to attach a rack to an
    eyelet-less frame - the alloy clamps will last longer then the tin
    straps if you are carrying a load. The straps will break eventually they
    are subject to much stress - they are designed to hold the front -
    facing stays to the top of the seatstays, which is a very light load. If
    you use the straps to hold the bottom of the rack then they are
    responsible for carrying a large part of your load.

    I don't know who makes those clamps, though, or where you can get them.

    Kris

  5. Thanks for the warnings. (I can almost visualize the look of panic in your
    eyes as you wrote the replies). I will check into the seat mounted racks.
    -Greg

    "Kristopher Jones" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Gregory Lotoczky said:

    Hey,
    I have a Stumpjumper M2 and ... Is there any problem with causing


    permanent

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    damage to the frame if I drill the holes?
    -Greg

    Whoa, cowboy! Put your drill away right now!!! You might weaken the
    frame, and you will void the warranty.

    Your options are
    1. seatpost mounted rack;

    2. the little plastic coated metal straps that come with most of the $20
    racks (and are overflowing out of a drawer somewhere at every bike shop
    in the Western world);

    3. Beefier thick alloy clamps designed to attach a rack to an
    eyelet-less frame - the alloy clamps will last longer then the tin
    straps if you are carrying a load. The straps will break eventually they
    are subject to much stress - they are designed to hold the front -
    facing stays to the top of the seatstays, which is a very light load. If
    you use the straps to hold the bottom of the rack then they are
    responsible for carrying a large part of your load.

    I don't know who makes those clamps, though, or where you can get them.

    Kris

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.