Bike Rack. Need Help!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by HT606, Jan 28, 2006.

1. HT606

HT606 New Member

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a bike rack to be placed on the back of my car. I dont have a tow bar and do not want to get one. I drive a hatch back (Mini Cooper S) and putting my road bike inside means taking both wheels off, scatching the interior if I am not careful, and lots of time trying to fit it in the car.

I have heard of foldable bike racks that hang on to the back of your hatch which holds 3 bikes (I only intend to hold 1). The seem to be a good option. Are they any good? Does anyone have one and would like to share their thoughts? What other alternatives are there?

Thanks for any feedback at all...:D

HT

Tags:

2. Retro Grouch

Retro Grouch New Member

Personally, I don't think that strap-on racks are a good solution for anybody who is very fussy about their car. If you use one regularly for a year, by the end of that time you will be able to see where the feet contact any painted surface.

3. HT606

HT606 New Member

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think it will be ok if I applied a small blanket material where the contact is?

4. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

5. dhk

dhk New Member

I have a folding Rhodegear rack that fits well on the hatch of my VW New Beetle. I've used it just once to carry two bikes. Normally I put my bike inside, since it fits with just the front wheel off. Inside, don't have to mess with taking the rack on and off, mounting the bike just right, worry about checking the rack and bike for tightness, rain or theft issues.

Believe you'll have minimal paint damage as long as you place the straps carefully and keep them tight once the bike is loaded up so that the rack isn't moving around. As RG said, you may have some paint scuffing after a year of use; that prospect really doesn't bother me much as long as my bike stays safe.

Another option of course is a roof rack. I know a guy who just leaves his Thule rack locked on his Civic all the time. Solid mounting without worrying about straps. Of course, the downside is the bike sticks up, adds drag....and you have to remember to take it off before pulling into your garage.

Bottom line for me is that inside is best if possible. On our ride today, a buddy took both wheels off his bike and put it in the trunk of his new Civic....took him less than a minute....but he's had some practice.

6. serendipity

serendipity New Member

I think you should just get a truck! That's what I did. Traded in my honda and got a Dodge Ram. Solved all of my problems! :)

7. Retro Grouch

Retro Grouch New Member

Probably won't help very much. The spider web scratches actually come from the dirt that's caught between the rack feet and your car's finish. Your best strategy is to make sure that your car is absolutely squeeky clean whenever you install the bike rack on it.

Personally, I think that I'd use the same blanket to protect the interior of my Mini and haul the bike on the inside. Your bike is protected from weather and road crud, safer from theft and it's cheaper too.

8. HT606

HT606 New Member

Thanks for the advise all. Would be great if I could NOT sell my car and buy a UTE (thats what we'd call them in Australia...:cool: )

I'd like to be able to have passengers in the car and also carry the bike. With both my seats down and passenger front seat pushed as far front as possible, I can fit my bike inside with front wheel out.

Its true that there will be security problems with my bike on a rack....ahhh.... choices... I think I might buy the foldable rack and only use it when I have passengers. ;)

Thanks everyone. Cheers
    HT