Bike rack number plate straight from the horse's mouth

Bleve wrote:
> but I *am* having a go at anyone
> that refuses to follow simple, clear pointers to answers that have been
> put in place by well intentioned people who give a lot of their time to
> provide information.

lol, horses, water.

Perhaps you should give so much of your time if it isn't appreciated.

TimC wrote:

>>Apologies for the bad form re following up to my own posting, but as a

> Why is that bad form?

Something about "you're not mad just cause you talk to yourself". It is
when you start getting answers that things are getting bad.

> How do you print out a number plate (oooh, you got the 3D printer?!),
> and how do you have 10 number plates printed out with correct numbers
> before people have come and bought a rack?

Probably a vinly cutter.
Although a printed circuit board cutter should do a nice jobie if you
can get a good contrast backing board.

"Max" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What do you mean "current vehicle isn't customised!" I wanted a number
> plate for the bike rack went into qld transport ordered the plates, paid
> the money and they were sent out to me in the mail.

I had to get new plates as someone stole one of them (why just one I don't
know), and I ticked a box on replacement plates form and paid extra for an
accessory plate, but surprise surprise I never received the plate. I
couldn't be bothered chasing it up, the few times I used it I just unbolted
the rear plate and put it on the rack.

Adam

Maybe you had personalised plates Max?
All I know is that if I want plates, I have to first "customise" mine.
Kathy.

Terry Collins said:
Bleve wrote:
> but I *am* having a go at anyone
> that refuses to follow simple, clear pointers to answers that have been
> put in place by well intentioned people who give a lot of their time to
> provide information.

lol, horses, water.

Perhaps you should give so much of your time if it isn't appreciated.

For the record I very much appreciate Carl's advice. I may not agree with him all the time and we have had some very spirited discussions in the past.

That said he's a genuine bloke (online at least, not met Carl in person yet ;-) ) and is free with his advice. That counts for a lot IMO.

Bleve wrote:
<snip>
> I would very much like to emphasise that I am not having a go at anyone
> for asking questions, or discussing things (even helmet debates,
> they're amusing for their longevity!), but I *am* having a go at anyone
> that refuses to follow simple, clear pointers to answers that have been
> put in place by well intentioned people who give a lot of their time to
> provide information.

Fair call, I say... however...

Do I get special exemption? I have to log onto a different computer if I
want to look at the real world (i.e. the www, in contrast to just
newsreader).

Please? :D

Tam

EuanB wrote:
> Terry Collins Wrote:
> > Bleve wrote:
> > > but I *am* having a go at anyone
> > > that refuses to follow simple, clear pointers to answers that have

> > been
> > > put in place by well intentioned people who give a lot of their time

> > > provide information.

> > lol, horses, water.
> >
> > Perhaps you should give so much of your time if it isn't appreciated.

> For the record I very much appreciate Carl's advice. I may not agree
> with him all the time and we have had some very spirited discussions in
> the past.

It's good to have different opinions :)

> That said he's a genuine bloke (online at least, not met Carl in
> person yet ;-) ) and is free with his advice. That counts for a lot
> IMO.

Thankyou.

EuanB wrote:
> Terry Collins Wrote:

>>Perhaps you should give so much of your time if it isn't appreciated.

Woops, "not" missing, but I think everyone understood that.

> For the record I very much appreciate Carl's advice. I may not agree
> with him all the time and we have had some very spirited discussions in
> the past.

And to make it clear, I'm not having a go at him. If you provide "free"
advice, just don't be upset if it isn't accepted or appreciated. That is
all.

At least when you do it face to face, you can see the eyes glaze over
and change the subject; "WOW, did you see that giant bunny out there" or
something similar.

TimC wrote:
> Blevewrote

>> product of this discussion a lesson I've learnt from this is to hand
>> out the Vicroads number plate rules to people buying bike racks from
>> the LBS I work at. I now have 10 of them printed out

> How do you print out a number plate (oooh, you got the 3D printer?!),
> and how do you have 10 number plates printed out with correct numbers
> before people have come and bought a rack?

The rules, he printed the rules.

I've seen a number plate printer. Huge heavy metal thingy. They don't use
any ink at all.

Theo

Terry Collins wrote:

> Unsalted, in shells please. {:).

I've got a bag of those in the pantry. Why don't they come in salted?

Theo

Tamyka Bell wrote:

> Do I get special exemption? I have to log onto a different computer
> if I want to look at the real world (i.e. the www, in contrast to just
> newsreader).

I didn't know that either of those was the real world. For NGs I log on to
the same computer, no matter where I am. I just hope no-one turns the damn
thing off while I'm not there.

Theo

On 2006-01-17, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)
> TimC wrote:
>> Blevewrote

>>> product of this discussion a lesson I've learnt from this is to hand
>>> out the Vicroads number plate rules to people buying bike racks from
>>> the LBS I work at. I now have 10 of them printed out

>> How do you print out a number plate (oooh, you got the 3D printer?!),
>> and how do you have 10 number plates printed out with correct numbers
>> before people have come and bought a rack?

> The rules, he printed the rules.

Ah, I see my brane was even more fogged than it is now. Which is
quite an ... um ... what's the word? ... achievement,

> I've seen a number plate printer. Huge heavy metal thingy. They don't use
> any ink at all.

I prefer 3D printers. Need a new cat? Print it!

--
TimC
"The Internet is the most powerful stupidity amplifier ever invented.

On 2006-01-17, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)
> Tamyka Bell wrote:
>
>> Do I get special exemption? I have to log onto a different computer
>> if I want to look at the real world (i.e. the www, in contrast to just
>> newsreader).

> I didn't know that either of those was the real world. For NGs I log on to
> the same computer, no matter where I am. I just hope no-one turns the damn
> thing off while I'm not there.

I just got DNS successfully pointing to my dynamic IP at home. I'm
still excited about not having to run stupid scripts all the time and
nasty little hacks with $HOSTALIASES. Of course, this now means that
it is much less likely to fail, and I won't get those days anymore
when I can't read USENET, and hence actually get some work done.

--
TimC
Can Jesus heat a microwave burrito so much he can't eat it?

TimC wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote

>> I didn't know that either of those was the real world. For NGs I log
>> on to the same computer, no matter where I am. I just hope no-one
>> turns the damn thing off while I'm not there.

> I just got DNS successfully pointing to my dynamic IP at home. I'm
> still excited about not having to run stupid scripts all the time and
> nasty little hacks with $HOSTALIASES.

We have a Citrix Metaframe and I use a Citix Safeword Token. Can log on to
the office computer from any computer anywhere.

Theo

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> TimC wrote:
> > Theo Bekkers wrote

> >> I didn't know that either of those was the real world. For NGs I log
> >> on to the same computer, no matter where I am. I just hope no-one
> >> turns the damn thing off while I'm not there.

> > I just got DNS successfully pointing to my dynamic IP at home. I'm
> > still excited about not having to run stupid scripts all the time and
> > nasty little hacks with $HOSTALIASES.

> We have a Citrix Metaframe and I use a Citix Safeword Token. Can log on to
> the office computer from any computer anywhere.

ssh is good :)

On 2006-01-17, Bleve (aka Bruce)

> Theo Bekkers wrote:
>> TimC wrote:
>> > I just got DNS successfully pointing to my dynamic IP at home. I'm
>> > still excited about not having to run stupid scripts all the time and
>> > nasty little hacks with $HOSTALIASES.

>> We have a Citrix Metaframe and I use a Citix Safeword Token. Can log on to
>> the office computer from any computer anywhere.

> ssh is good :)

I'm continually amazed when people cry about the bloat of X, and want
to reengineer it without the networking stuff. You idiots, when I
first discovered how seamless network graphics was under UNIX, I
thought it was brilliant. Just because you do boring stuff on single
machines (it's mostly games weanies who complain about X anyway, and
they deserve to be ignored) is not an excuse to remove the most
interesting thing about X.

--
TimC
I admit that X is the second worst windowing system in the world,

Just to get back a bit closer to the start of this thread (sorry have been trying to catch up after a few days away); Bleve, didn't you notice that 'just us' had the letters QLD (which I think usually stands for Queensland) about three times in the first few sentences of the post???

Or do you mean state of mind or general condition otherwise???

Bleve said:
you'll find it beneficial to all if you state
what state you're in :)

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> Terry Collins wrote:
>

>>Unsalted, in shells please. {:).

> I've got a bag of those in the pantry. Why don't they come in salted?

What are they doing in the pantry?
You should take them out for a bicycle ride.

Terry Collins wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:

>> I've got a bag of those in the pantry. Why don't they come in salted?

> What are they doing in the pantry?
> You should take them out for a bicycle ride.

The wife bought them on Friday. How do you eat peanuts in the shell whilst
riding? That would have to be more distracting than a mobile phone.

Theo

SEGFTG wrote:
> Just to get back a bit closer to the start of this thread (sorry have
> been trying to catch up after a few days away); Bleve, didn't you
> notice that 'just us' had the letters QLD (which I think usually stands
> for Queensland) about three times in the first few sentences of the
> post???

This thread was a continuation from another, where the question was
originally posed, quoted here :

Any info on those little number plates and where to get them? Can you
simply
paint up your own and put them on the back of your rack? We just
fingers
crossed that we wont get caught without one, but I think it is time we
got
one.
Ta Kathy.

No mention of a state. So, I *suggested* in this thread that next time
she add in relevant context, for future questions (for the record, I
didn't quarrel with her, I made helpful suggestions, I quarreled with
Terry in that thread, who still seems to think that his home made plate
is legal *shrug* ). So there you go!