Bike rack transport question

CiscoKid

Aug 15, 2010
I have a question regarding using a bike rack – I’m a “first timer”, and I’ll be transporting my bike ~ 180 miles over a combo of highways and local roads using a new hitch mounted bike rack. The rack comes with nylon straps that “secure” the bike to the posts, but it looks like the bike will rock back and forth a bit and I’m worried the rocking could rub the paint off the bike.
I have 2 differing schools of thought – one was to wrap a soft cloth around the frame where the straps will hit, and the other was to use rubber (maybe an old tire). With the soft cloth, I know it will still rock around, but hopefully it’ll be soft enough not to matter. With the rubber, hopefully it’ll “lock” it in place and won’t rock at all, but if it does it might still be a problem.
Anyone have any advice? I honestly think I might like my bike more than my truck, and I really don’t want to mess up the paint.

CiscoKid said:
I have a question regarding using a bike rack – I’m a “first timer”, and I’ll be transporting my bike ~ 180 miles over a combo of highways and local roads using a new hitch mounted bike rack. The rack comes with nylon straps that “secure” the bike to the posts, but it looks like the bike will rock back and forth a bit and I’m worried the rocking could rub the paint off the bike.
I have 2 differing schools of thought – one was to wrap a soft cloth around the frame where the straps will hit, and the other was to use rubber (maybe an old tire). With the soft cloth, I know it will still rock around, but hopefully it’ll be soft enough not to matter. With the rubber, hopefully it’ll “lock” it in place and won’t rock at all, but if it does it might still be a problem.
Anyone have any advice? I honestly think I might like my bike more than my truck, and I really don’t want to mess up the paint.
Try using pipe insulation. It comes in a variety of diameters and is easy to slide onto your bike tubes. Tie the bike to the down post of the rack to prevent it from swinging back and forth use the insulation as a buffer to prevent damage. Also try using velcro strips around the brake levers and bar. This will hold your brakes locked on your rims and prevent your wheels from rotating while your are driving along.:cool:

davereo said:
Try using pipe insulation. It comes in a variety of diameters and is easy to slide onto your bike tubes. Tie the bike to the down post of the rack to prevent it from swinging back and forth use the insulation as a buffer to prevent damage. Also try using velcro strips around the brake levers and bar. This will hold your brakes locked on your rims and prevent your wheels from rotating while your are driving along.:cool:

+1 on the tie downs.

I also usually put a velcro strap through the front wheel and then around the down bar. This will stop the front tire and handle bars from swinging back and forth, and will also keep the tire from rotating.

64Paramount said:
+1 on the tie downs.

I also usually put a velcro strap through the front wheel and then around the down bar. This will stop the front tire and handle bars from swinging back and forth, and will also keep the tire from rotating.
+1 I like this idea. :cool: