Bike Rack?

Dunno Who

Guest
Anyone have any advice regarding roof racks. Been looking at Thule and Yakima. Any advice?

Both are fine but I believe that Thule works better with Campy and Yakima with Shimano. Okay, sorry
about that but it is like choosing a bike (there are many good brands) so look at the vendor as a
element in your decision.

--
Rick Loggins

"Dunno Who" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Anyone have any advice regarding roof racks. Been looking at Thule and Yakima. Any advice?

"Dunno Who" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Anyone have any advice regarding roof racks. Been looking at Thule and Yakima. Any advice?

My advice :

Put your bike in the back of the car and spend the roof rack money on beer or cheap women or both.

On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 22:56:48 GMT, "Dunno Who" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyone have any advice regarding roof racks. Been looking at Thule and Yakima. Any advice?

I know this is mainly about roof racks, but what about trunk mounts? I've read a couple of
bad things about bikes falling off etc. Is it better to stay away from them?

~Matt

"Phil Mee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Dunno Who" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Anyone have any advice regarding roof racks. Been looking at Thule and Yakima. Any advice?
>

> My advice :
>

> Put your bike in the back of the car and spend the roof rack money on beer or cheap women or both.

Not since I saw a car get rear ended and his bike damaged.

Makes the trunk difficult to use in some cases.

Looks way cooler having the bike on the roof

"Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "Phil Mee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Dunno Who" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> > Anyone have any advice regarding roof racks. Been looking at Thule and Yakima. Any advice?
>>

>> My advice :
>>

>> Put your bike in the back of the car and spend the roof rack money on beer or cheap women
>> or both.
>
> Not since I saw a car get rear ended and his bike damaged.
>
> Makes the trunk difficult to use in some cases.
>
> Looks way cooler having the bike on the roof

Until you forget about it and pull into the garage. *ouch!*

Sam <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > Anyone have any advice regarding roof racks. Been looking at Thule and Yakima. Any advice?
>> Put your bike in the back of the car and spend the roof rack money on beer or cheap women
>> or both.
>
>Not since I saw a car get rear ended and his bike damaged.
>
>Makes the trunk difficult to use in some cases.
>
>Looks way cooler having the bike on the roof

Your accident scenario is a very valid one I hadn't considered.

I just see lifting it onto/off the top, even of my relatively short Outback as a PITA I don't want
to deal with.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

In article <[email protected]>, "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Phil Mee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Dunno Who" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Anyone have any advice regarding roof racks. Been looking at Thule and Yakima. Any advice?
> >

> > My advice :
> >

> > Put your bike in the back of the car and spend the roof rack money on beer or cheap women
> > or both.
>
> Not since I saw a car get rear ended and his bike damaged.
>
> Makes the trunk difficult to use in some cases.
>
> Looks way cooler having the bike on the roof

Not to mention that a roof rack is a good choice if you want to move other stuff as well. I'm
intending to get a cargo container, and eventually I'll add a surfboard holder.

--Harold Buck

- Homer J. Simpson

In article <[email protected]>, Tom Henderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> > Looks way cooler having the bike on the roof
> >

> Until you forget about it and pull into the garage. *ouch!*

Yeah, I'm thinking that every time I put the bike on the roof I'll move a bench to the front of the
garage. That way, even if I forget I'll see the bench when I open the garage door.

--Harold Buck

- Homer J. Simpson

>>Looks way cooler having the bike on the roof

Be careful with roof racks where you remove the front wheel and use a quick release. I bent two
front fork dropouts (on two forks) when I removed the bike clumsily.

Another option if you have a sedan is to arrange the rack so the rear wheel is over the trunk
(behind the rear window) and the fork is on the roof. You loose trunk access while the bike is
mounted but moving the bike around is a lot easier and still safer than having it hang off the back
of the car.

Attila

Harold Buck <[email protected]> wrote in news:no_one_knows-
[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>, Tom Henderson
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> > Looks way cooler having the bike on the roof
>> >

>> Until you forget about it and pull into the garage. *ouch!*
>

> Yeah, I'm thinking that every time I put the bike on the roof I'll move a bench to the front of
> the garage. That way, even if I forget I'll see the bench when I open the garage door.
>
> --Harold Buck

They also make a little magnetic thingy that you stick on the hood. Whenever you slow down, it pops
open to rimind you about the bikes. I'll just leave mine behind the truck on my hitch rack. It's set
up so that someone who hits it from behind will hit the rack before they hit the bike. If they hit
hard, the rack, bike, and truck are all toast, but a 5- 10 mph collision should cause some damage to
the rack and none to the bike.

In article <[email protected]>, attila <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Looks way cooler having the bike on the roof
>
> Be careful with roof racks where you remove the front wheel and use a quick release. I bent two
> front fork dropouts (on two forks) when I removed the bike clumsily.

I was told that the ones that clamp directly to the bike frame are more stable. The salesperson told
me she'd seen people with the fork-mount systems on highway off-ramps, and the bikes were really
getting torqued to the side.

--Harold Buck

- Homer J. Simpson

"Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Tom Henderson
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > Looks way cooler having the bike on the roof
> > >

> > Until you forget about it and pull into the garage. *ouch!*
>

> Yeah, I'm thinking that every time I put the bike on the roof I'll move a bench to the front of
> the garage. That way, even if I forget I'll see the bench when I open the garage door.

A friend put the garage door opener in an old cycling glove as a reminder.

"attila" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> >>Looks way cooler having the bike on the roof
>
> Be careful with roof racks where you remove the front wheel and use a quick release. I bent two
> front fork dropouts (on two forks) when I removed the bike clumsily.
>
> Another option if you have a sedan is to arrange the rack so the rear wheel is over the trunk
> (behind the rear window) and the fork is on the roof. You loose trunk access while the bike is
> mounted but moving the bike around is a lot easier and still safer than having it hang off the
> back of the car.
>
> Attila

This guy arrived at a tri I was working. He was looking for a spare tire. Yeah, he had the bike
close to the exhaust and the tire and tube were ruined. I do not think he ever found a spare. Race
day was over before it started.

There are pros and cons to each system. Choose the one that works best for you.

Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Whenever you slow down, it pops open to rimind you about the bikes.

rimind? Make that remind. I switched posting software so it would be easier to screen out certain
posters. Now I miss the spell checker!

>>Be careful with roof racks where you remove the front wheel and use a quick release. I bent two
>>front fork dropouts (on two forks) when I removed the bike clumsily.
>
> I was told that the ones that clamp directly to the bike frame are more stable. The salesperson
> told me she'd seen people with the fork-mount systems on highway off-ramps, and the bikes were
> really getting torqued to the side.

Clamp my carbon down tube? I don't think so. I think Yakima makes a version that clamps onto the
crank arms. That would be the only acceptable option.

Attila