Bike Racks

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gumbo5 99, Sep 22, 2003.

  1. Gumbo5 99

    Gumbo5 99 Guest

    I finally broke down and bought a bike. I'd hate to think how many year's it's been. More than
    25 probably.

    I bought a Trek Navigator 300. I like it. Now I need a bike rack. I two very different vehicles that
    I would like to attach to. There's the 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan and the 1971 VW Bus. I'd like
    something that attaches to the rear as opposed to the top.

    Does anyone have recommendations?

    Tags:

  2. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] writes:

    >I finally broke down and bought a bike. I'd hate to think how many year's it's been. More than 25
    >probably.
    >
    >I bought a Trek Navigator 300. I like it. Now I need a bike rack. I two very different vehicles
    >that I would like to attach to. There's the 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan and the 1971 VW Bus. I'd like
    >something that attaches to the rear as opposed to the top.
    >
    >Does anyone have recommendations?

    Do you have a receiver hitch on either of them? If so there are racks that mount to the hitches.
    This is one of the more common types that don't put the bike on the roof.

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]

  3. Gumbo5 99

    Gumbo5 99 Guest

    On 23 Sep 2003 04:27:26 GMT, [email protected] (TBGibb) wrote:
    >Do you have a receiver hitch on either of them? If so there are racks that mount to the hitches.
    >This is one of the more common types that don't put the bike on the roof.

    My VW does. The Dodge does not. I've been meaning to put one on. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet.

    Thanks! Jim

  4. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    > On 23 Sep 2003 04:27:26 GMT, [email protected] (TBGibb) wrote:
    > >Do you have a receiver hitch on either of them? If so there are racks
    that
    > >mount to the hitches. This is one of the more common types that don't
    put the
    > >bike on the roof.
    >
    > My VW does. The Dodge does not. I've been meaning to put one on. Maybe it's time to bite
    > the bullet.
    >
    > Thanks! Jim

    see http://www.bicycleracks.com/stIndex.asp These are the ones that cities put on buses. I have one
    and highly recommend them.

    Pat in TX

  5. Rosco

    Rosco Guest

    "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > x-no-archive:yes

    > > On 23 Sep 2003 04:27:26 GMT, [email protected] (TBGibb) wrote:
    > > >Do you have a receiver hitch on either of them? If so there are racks
    > that
    > > >mount to the hitches. This is one of the more common types that don't
    > put the
    > > >bike on the roof.
    > >
    > > My VW does. The Dodge does not. I've been meaning to put one on. Maybe it's time to bite the
    > > bullet.
    > >
    > > Thanks! Jim
    >
    > see http://www.bicycleracks.com/stIndex.asp These are the ones that
    cities
    > put on buses. I have one and highly recommend them.
    >
    > Pat in TX

    I second the recommendation for the Sportworks racks mentioned above. I use the "TranSport" model,
    and have found it great.

  6. Gumbo5 99

    Gumbo5 99 Guest

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:25:02 GMT, "rosco"
    >> see http://www.bicycleracks.com/stIndex.asp These are the ones that
    >cities
    >> put on buses. I have one and highly recommend them.
    >>
    >> Pat in TX
    >>

    >I second the recommendation for the Sportworks racks mentioned above. I use the "TranSport" model,
    >and have found it great.

    That does look like the ticket. Guess I better get a hitch on the Caravan.

    Thanks! Jim

  7. Singledigit

    Singledigit Guest

    [email protected] wrote in news:[email protected] 4ax.com:

    > I finally broke down and bought a bike. I'd hate to think how many year's it's been. More than 25
    > probably.
    >
    > I bought a Trek Navigator 300. I like it. Now I need a bike rack. I two very different vehicles
    > that I would like to attach to. There's the 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan and the 1971 VW Bus. I'd like
    > something that attaches to the rear as opposed to the top.
    >
    > Does anyone have recommendations?

    I just sold my SUV...consequently, I might sell my hitch mount high-end Yakima Roc-N-Gate for a
    2" receiver. Great unit. I am in SOCA...say so and I'll give you my email address so we can
    discuss pvtly.

  8. Greg P.

    Greg P. Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    | >I second the recommendation for the Sportworks racks mentioned above. I
    use
    | >the "TranSport" model, and have found it great.

    I had a bike fall off of a perfectly adjusted Transport model. I highly suggest a Hollywood.

  9. Rosco

    Rosco Guest

    To help those of us with the TransPort, how do you suspect it fell off? On mine, if the arm is up
    over the front tire near the brakes, and the rear wheel is held down with the revolving ring widget,
    you can shake the car back and forth if you try to shake the bike off the rack. Other than the arm
    failing, I don't understand how that could happen.

    news:[email protected]...