Bike rental advice

Adamb342

Feb 25, 2017
Hey guys, I'm looking to rent a bicycle off Fat Lama for a bike ride next month, have seen loads up on there so not sure which to go for.

Have seen a Dawes Giro 700, Raleigh Espirit, Apollo Feud and a Road Gint Defy 3 (there's more on there if you think these might not be the best options for me). As you can see they’re all different types and am willing to pay that bit extra for something that goes the extra mile!

Have ridden a bike around London before but nothing in the countryside so would love some recommendations for rockier surfaces.

Would also appreciate any ideas for accessories, am contemplating a GoPro to film some of it. Only using it for a week in March hence I'm not buying.

Recommendations would be much appreciated!

Cheers, Adam

First off the Apollo Feud is a very low end bike, this could lead to many frustrations. The Giant has many reviews favoring it in the department of comfort. The Raleigh seems to be an older bike, I couldn't find any references to it after the 1980's so that one is out on a limb.

If you can ride both the Giant and the Raleigh before renting that would be great, but the rental company is probably asking you to reserve one now, so I would lean towards the Giant due to it's more comfort oriented geometry.

Well no thats the thing, they are two highly priced and theres no deposits. But still, want to make sure I get the right one. It's peer to peer so maybe I'll just book both for a day and see which one I like the most?

Ok, that one bike I said was a low end bike is all I could find on the internet, I guess they're not highly marketed, the other one I couldn't find at all other then some were made in the 80's.

If you can, google like crazy, I don't have the time to do that, and read all you can about the 4 then at least you should be able to narrow it down to no more then 2 bikes, then when you get there test ride both and decide which one you like.

I would suggest since you will be using the bike for a week is to take along your own saddle, shoes, and pedals if you can, you will feel more comfortable doing that too. And someone told me when they went to Germany and rented a bike the rental company charged them for every little thing which wasn't explained till he got there, they wanted to charge him for shoes, saddle, pedals, water bottle cages and bottles, racks, fenders, and touring bags, and probably other stuff I left out, so make sure they spell out exactly what the rental cost they're quoting you is covering.