Bike repair stands

D.M. Procida

Guest
Having spent some hours angrily puncturing new tubes and then putting
them back on the wheel I think a bike stand to help with this kind of
work would be a good idea. What do people recommend? It will live in the
garage, and can probably stay up most of the time, though if it folds
away as well so much the better,

Daniele
--
Listen to KFJC! <http://netcast.kfjc.org:8976/listen.pls>
Support KFJC! <http://www.kfjc.org>

In message
<1h5itnk.3vv1au10mfurnN%[email protected]>,
D.M. Procida <[email protected]> writes
>Having spent some hours angrily puncturing new tubes and then putting
>them back on the wheel I think a bike stand to help with this kind of
>work would be a good idea.

Yep, spent years with the normal fiddles, a good stand makes it so much
nicer.

> What do people recommend? It will live in the
>garage, and can probably stay up most of the time, though if it folds
>away as well so much the better,

I've had a Minoura W 300 for few years and would recommend it, stable,
has adjustable feet, tube clamp is good and easy to use. I just stand
mine in the corner of the workshop, but can easily fold up into a
smaller package. I picked up the too, tray cheap and do find it very
useful.

Seems to be being replaced by the w3000, which is taller and with I
think a modified clamp head design

Not cheap though. Seems to be selling for around GBP 90 with a quick
Google. Mine ws about GBP 70 when I got it , the cheapest place being
Spa cycles.

--
Chris French

chris French wrote:
> In message
> <1h5itnk.3vv1au10mfurnN%[email protected]>,
> D.M. Procida <[email protected]> writes
>
>> Having spent some hours angrily puncturing new tubes and then putting
>> them back on the wheel I think a bike stand to help with this kind of
>> work would be a good idea.

> Yep, spent years with the normal fiddles, a good stand makes it so much
> nicer.
>
>> What do people recommend? It will live in the
>> garage, and can probably stay up most of the time, though if it folds
>> away as well so much the better,

> I've had a Minoura W 300 for few years and would recommend it, stable,
> has adjustable feet, tube clamp is good and easy to use. I just stand
> mine in the corner of the workshop, but can easily fold up into a
> smaller package. I picked up the too, tray cheap and do find it very
> useful.
>
> Seems to be being replaced by the w3000, which is taller and with I
> think a modified clamp head design
>
> Not cheap though. Seems to be selling for around GBP 90 with a quick
> Google. Mine ws about GBP 70 when I got it , the cheapest place being
> Spa cycles.

Try Edinburgh Bicycle. They're doing their own-brand Revolution stand
for £70 and it's very, very similar to the Monoura WS5000.

druidh

D.M. Procida came up with the following;:
> Having spent some hours angrily puncturing new tubes and then putting
> them back on the wheel I think a bike stand to help with this kind of
> work would be a good idea. What do people recommend? It will live in the
> garage, and can probably stay up most of the time, though if it folds
> away as well so much the better,
>
> Daniele

Park stands rock ... ;)

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

D.M. Procida wrote:
> Having spent some hours angrily puncturing new tubes and then putting
> them back on the wheel I think a bike stand to help with this kind of
> work would be a good idea. What do people recommend? It will live in the
> garage, and can probably stay up most of the time, though if it folds
> away as well so much the better,

Using a Kettler stand, around 100 squids, seems ok. Things I'd look for;

Nice and sturdy.
Clamps both top and seat tube.
Height adjustable.
Bits tray.

On the subject of the bits tray, mine fits to the telescopic bit of the
upright, this gives it a minimum height. Fine, until you fancy putting
the bike very low (working on brakes/handlebars) then it gets in the way
and you have to remove it. Small point, but very annoying, but since I
only payed 35 squids I'm not one to complain.

Once you have one you never look back. Sooner or later I will add a
Park Trueing stand to that statement.

Paul - *** wrote:
> D.M. Procida came up with the following;:
>
>> Having spent some hours angrily puncturing new tubes and then putting
>> them back on the wheel I think a bike stand to help with this kind of
>> work would be a good idea. What do people recommend? It will live in the
>> garage, and can probably stay up most of the time, though if it folds
>> away as well so much the better,
>>
>> Daniele

> Park stands rock ... ;)

I think I'd rather have a stand that is stable.

--
The email address is only valid until the end of next month. If you need to
contact me after that then please use

D.M. Procida wrote:
> Having spent some hours angrily puncturing new tubes and then putting
> them back on the wheel I think a bike stand to help with this kind of
> work would be a good idea. What do people recommend? It will live in the
> garage, and can probably stay up most of the time, though if it folds
> away as well so much the better,

I like the Park one but otherwise Roseversand do a couple of good and
cheap stands at £50-60. If you can wall mount it there is an even
cheaper one at £30.
http://www.roseversand.com
Choose the English flag in the corner then navigate to
Accessories/Tools-Polishers/Assembly Stands

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

"Paul - ***" wrote ...
> D.M. Procida came up with the following;:
>> Having spent some hours angrily puncturing new tubes and then putting
>> them back on the wheel I think a bike stand to help with this kind of
>> work would be a good idea. What do people recommend? It will live in the
>> garage, and can probably stay up most of the time, though if it folds
>> away as well so much the better,
>>
>> Daniele

> Park stands rock ... ;)
>
> --
> Paul ...

Agreed. The folding race stands are really nice, if a bit expensive.
--
mark

chris French wrote:

>> What do people recommend? It will live in the
>> garage, and can probably stay up most of the time, though if it folds
>> away as well so much the better,

> I've had a Minoura W 300 for few years and would recommend it, stable,
> has adjustable feet, tube clamp is good and easy to use. I just stand
> mine in the corner of the workshop, but can easily fold up into a
> smaller package. I picked up the too, tray cheap and do find it very
> useful.

I can't recommend it highly enough. It can even hold a triplet which is
brilliant.
<http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/chrisg?entry=product_of_the_week4>

--chris

Tosspot wrote:
> Height adjustable.

I'm looking at workstands myself at the moment and wondering if
angle-adjustable is an equally desirable quality... maybe not, it's just
a thought.

> Once you have one you never look back. Sooner or later I will add a
> Park Trueing stand to that statement.

Is a trueing stand an essential bit of kit for the job? Again, it's
something I'm considering purchasing imminently but I'm wondering if I
really need it - I'm not ashamed to confess that wheels scare me, and
the idea of trying to true a wheel is almost beyond the pale, but I feel
I ought to bite the bullet and learn how to do it for myself -
especially after the mess the LBS made of my rear wheel last time I
asked them to do the job. :-(

d.

In message <[email protected]>, Chris Gerhard
<[email protected]> writes
>chris French wrote:
>

>>> What do people recommend? It will live in the
>>> garage, and can probably stay up most of the time, though if it folds
>>> away as well so much the better,

>> I've had a Minoura W 300 for few years and would recommend it

>I can't recommend it highly enough. It can even hold a triplet which is
>brilliant.
><http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/chrisg?entry=product_of_the_week4>

Ahh, that's good. I was wondering how it would cope with my childback
tandem.
--
Chris French

In message <[email protected]>, davek
<[email protected]> writes
>Tosspot wrote:
>> Height adjustable.

>I'm looking at workstands myself at the moment and wondering if
>angle-adjustable is an equally desirable quality... maybe not, it's
>just a thought.

It certainly is useful at times as it makes things easier, though not a
must have. but I do think the sort that clamps around the one tube is
better than fiddling about removing the front wheel etc. (as well as of
course being able to work on the front brakes etc. Whereas for me I've
not found I've ever wanted to adjust the height. but then i'm a pretty
average height

>> Once you have one you never look back. Sooner or later I will add a
>>Park Trueing stand to that statement.

>Is a trueing stand an essential bit of kit for the job?

Not but it makes life a lot easier. You can true wheels in the frame,
but like most things, using the right tool is so much better. And if you
have a tool that makes a job easier and more enjoyable, you are more
likely to do it.

>Again, it's something I'm considering purchasing imminently but I'm
>wondering if I really need it

>- I'm not ashamed to confess that wheels scare me, and the idea of
>trying to true a wheel is almost beyond the pale,

Actually truing a wheel is pretty easy, even in the frame, because you a
re just tweaking what you already have. Wheelbuilding is much more of a
challenge.
> but I feel I ought to bite the bullet and learn how to do it for
>myself

Certainly truing is a useful skill to learn

--
Chris French

In message <[email protected]>, Tosspot
<[email protected]> writes

>If you know someone you can blag one off on a regular basis don't
>bother buying one.

Ah, but then you miss some of the benefits.

My stand is 'just there', it sits in the corner of the garage. If I've
got a job that needs doing and just stick the bike in it and fix it.
Having the stand makes it easier/quicker/more pleasant etc. to work on
the bike, so I'm more likely to do it.

And having it there all the time means that I'm more likely to do it
there and then rather than put it of until I've got few jobs to do. End
result is a bike that runs smoother, is nicer to ride, more reliable,
has better adjusted brakes and gears etc. more often.

It's one of the things I put off buying for years and really wish i'd
got one much sooner.
--
Chris French

"davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Is a trueing stand an essential bit of kit for the job? Again, it's
> something I'm considering purchasing imminently but I'm wondering if I
> really need it - I'm not ashamed to confess that wheels scare me, and the
> idea of trying to true a wheel is almost beyond the pale, but I feel I
> ought to bite the bullet and learn how to do it for myself - especially
> after the mess the LBS made of my rear wheel last time I asked them to do
> the job. :-(

I've built several wheels now, including putting a new front hub in the
tandem rim while on holiday (sitting in a tent while it rained).

I don't have a truing stand. I imagine it makes life easier, but it isn't
essential. And the tent doesn't have one :-(

cheers,
clive

chris French wrote:
> In message <[email protected]>, Tosspot
> <[email protected]> writes
>
>> If you know someone you can blag one off on a regular basis don't
>> bother buying one.

> Ah, but then you miss some of the benefits.
>
> My stand is 'just there', it sits in the corner of the garage. If
> I've got a job that needs doing and just stick the bike in it and fix
> it. Having the stand makes it easier/quicker/more pleasant etc. to
> work on the bike, so I'm more likely to do it.
>
> And having it there all the time means that I'm more likely to do it
> there and then rather than put it of until I've got few jobs to do.
> End result is a bike that runs smoother, is nicer to ride, more
> reliable, has better adjusted brakes and gears etc. more often.
>
> It's one of the things I put off buying for years and really wish i'd
> got one much sooner.

I was replying to the OPs question on wheel truing stands, not workshop
stands. I have the latter, and would recommend it, not the former,
despite the fact I've built 3 wheels and trued a good few for other people.

A workshop stand is definitely a Good Thing [TM]

chris French wrote:
> It's one of the things I put off buying for years and really wish i'd
> got one much sooner.

You've sold me! Can you recommend a particular model?

I ought to get one quick - preferably in time to use with the new rim,
spokes and Schmidt hub that will soon need assembling chez moi. :)

d.

Tosspot wrote:
> I was replying to the OPs question on wheel truing stands, not workshop
> stands.

I thought he was talking about trueing stands, but in any case it's not
important.

I really want a workshop stand and it's only the cost that has put me
off so far, but I feel I can no logner live without one. As for trueing
stands, I'm swayed by the argument that they make the job that little
bit easier and save you having to rely on the LBS (which I find is no
longer reliable, reducing the number of reliable LBSs within a 20 mile
radius of me to one less than one), so are probably a worthwhile
long-term investment.

> A workshop stand is definitely a Good Thing [TM]

I was cursing the lack of a stand yesterday while trying to carry out
some maintenance.

d.

In article <[email protected]>, davek
<[email protected]> wrote:
> > A workshop stand is definitely a Good Thing [TM]

> I was cursing the lack of a stand yesterday while trying to carry
> out some maintenance.

There are several on ebay just now and also a wheel truing stand for
£9-99

hth

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island

Sandy Morton wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, davek
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> A workshop stand is definitely a Good Thing [TM]

>> I was cursing the lack of a stand yesterday while trying to carry
>> out some maintenance.

> There are several on ebay just now and also a wheel truing stand for
> £9-99

The wheel truing stand is a Minoura T-817 Wheel Truing Stand which I
have. Its OKish but at £39 RRP new, even the starting price of £9.99
plus £10 postage is a bit high

There's currently a 20" unicycle though going today and sitting at
£10.50 at the moment: Item number: 7194350646

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Sandy Morton wrote:
> There are several on ebay just now and also a wheel truing stand for
> £9-99

marvellous, thanks!

d.