Bike Repair Stands

Status
Not open for further replies.
In article <[email protected]>,
Ed <[email protected]> writes:
> I would like to buy a "good" bike repair stand for home use. I've looked on the web for a
> comparitive review of the various stands but can't find any.
>
> Does anyone know of such a review? If so, where (in the world) is it?
>
> By "good", I mean one that holds the bike in the normal service positions, and doesn't fall over
> while tweeking the bike.

I wanna find me a "6-day" stand.

I recently saw what I think was one on TV, about triathlon stuff.

All it does is raise the rear wheel. That's all I want. I can do the rest with an adjustable stool &
a trouble-light.

For doing BB's I just flip the bike and put the handlebar over piled 2x4 cut-offs. That does the
trick real good. The cost/benefit thing works out nicely.

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

Ed <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Sat AM
>
> OK. So here's what I've learned.
>
> 1 - There is no comprehensive bike stand review.
>
> 2 - The 2-leg (L-shaped) stands may be unstable, but can be stabilized by weighting down the legs
> if needed.
>
> 3 - The tripod type stands may be more stable, but you are more likely to trip over the legs. (The
> Ultimate brand doesn't seem to get anyone's vote so is probably no good.)
>
> 4 - The quality of the gripper (holding power) varies from brand to brand and probably model to
> model. There is no good way to know if the gripper end works well until I buy one and try it.
> Obviously, I will post the question once I pick a specific model, before I actually buy one.
>
> 5 - If/when I get over thinking that I need a repair stand, there are a couple cheaper devices
> that make it considerably easier to tweek my bike.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ed (gone biking)

I bought the Ultimate Consumer Stand USB-70B about two weeks ago. It may very well be the best
bicycle tool/accessory I will ever buy. I went to my LBS (www.lickbike.com) to buy a Park and they
talked me into buying the Ultimate. It is sturdy, gives me 360 rotation, has a 70" height max, and
has a folding/telescoping design that makes it great for getting it out of the way when needed. The
clamps are great. I did trip over a tripod leg once. This happened the first day I got it. I am now
aware of the legs and it has not happened since. I also tipped it over once. Both of these instances
made me aware of the tripod design and how to use it to minimize or eliminate those issues. When the
bike (with wheels) is held by the seat post at 180 degrees (vertical bike) I just insure that one
leg is at that side to support the weight. When I remove the wheels, which is often, I can do
anything I want in any direction without minding the tripod position. The rotation clamp screw may
seem weak at first, but it isn't. The clamp rotation screw is very large and round for a good
torquing. It does require some serious torquing when I put the bike in some positions such as
vertical or at a 3/4 angle. And then only with the wheels on. I have two bikes, one is a relatively
light weight GF Fast City hybrid. The other is an old GF Joshua X0. This is the bike I work on the
most. It is dual suspension with really fat wheels. It gets heavy. The stand is a cake walk for the
hybrid. It really has no problems with the Joshua either. I just have to be more mindful. Oh yeah,
it only cost me $110! Check it out people, you will not regret it. Check out www.mtbreview.com for
some reviews on stands.

David L. Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 17:18:38 +0000, Cat Dailey wrote:
>
>
>>>My only concern with this particular rig is that it looks like it has less flexibility than the
>>>"normal" reapair stands.
>>>
>>
>>Why less flexibility?
>
>
> With even my not-so great Park stand, I can easily rotate the bike upside down while it is
> clamped, to get at the cable guides (to lube them) or to clean under there. Quite a useful
> feature.
>

If I spend $100-$175 for a stand, I suspect that I will get one that has a rotational head.

Thanks, again

Ed

TekBuf wrote:

-cut-
>
> I bought the Ultimate Consumer Stand USB-70B about two weeks ago. It may very well be the best
> bicycle tool/accessory I will ever buy. I went to my LBS (www.lickbike.com) to buy a Park and they
> talked me into buying the Ultimate. It is sturdy, gives me 360 rotation, has a 70" height max, and
> has a folding/telescoping design that makes it great for getting it out of the way when needed.
> The clamps are great. I did trip over a tripod leg once. This happened the first day I got it. I
> am now aware of the legs and it has not happened since. I also tipped it over once. Both of these
> instances made me aware of the tripod design and how to use it to minimize or eliminate those
> issues. When the bike (with wheels) is held by the seat post at 180 degrees (vertical bike) I just
> insure that one leg is at that side to support the weight. When I remove the wheels, which is
> often, I can do anything I want in any direction without minding the tripod position. The rotation
> clamp screw may seem weak at first, but it isn't. The clamp rotation screw is very large and round
> for a good torquing. It does require some serious torquing when I put the bike in some positions
> such as vertical or at a 3/4 angle. And then only with the wheels on. I have two bikes, one is a
> relatively light weight GF Fast City hybrid. The other is an old GF Joshua X0. This is the bike I
> work on the most. It is dual suspension with really fat wheels. It gets heavy. The stand is a cake
> walk for the hybrid. It really has no problems with the Joshua either. I just have to be more
> mindful. Oh yeah, it only cost me $110! Check it out people, you will not regret it. Check out
> www.mtbreview.com for some reviews on stands.

I was beginning to think that no one had one of these. BTW, I am not a clutz, so would tend not to
either tip over or trip over any of these stands (L-shaped or tripod). But the tripod base seems
like it would be more stable.

OFF TOPIC -- Thanks for the lickbike ref. They sell the "original Speedlink (chain masterlink). This
is the first place that I have seen that really sells the thing. I thought that Speedlink (the
original company) was not making them anymore, and that the SRAM link was the licensed equivalent of
the same thing. I have been looking for one locally, but no one carries the 7-speed. Now, I'll get
the Speedlink, (and maybe a bike stand). END - OFF TOPIC

Thanks - Ed

In article <[email protected]>, Ron Hardin <[email protected]> writes:
> Tom Keats wrote:
>> I wanna find me a "6-day" stand.
>>
>> I recently saw what I think was one on TV, about triathlon stuff.
>>
>> All it does is raise the rear wheel. That's all I want. I can do the rest with an adjustable
>> stool & a trouble-light.
>
> Here y'go, $9.99 (I paid $14.99 for mine)
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=3523&storetype=&estoreid=

Thanx for the link. I've got a heavy base & pedestal from a Chinese resaurant table that I've been
figuring on using to make a repair stand; the Nashbar thingie gives me some ideas.

The original item I was thinking of is a bilateral A-frame affair that supports the rear wheel
apparently by the axle. Small enough to kick under a workbench and out of the way.

cheers, Tom

--