Bike repairs

Regalia

Jan 8, 2016
U.S.A
Who actually repairs their own bike? I get my dad too. I'm not a mechanics type of person. I get bored easily and make up every excuse in the book to avoid messing with oil and chains. He doesn't mind. :) Same goes for repairing cars. It's like his hobby.

I repair my own bike but I havent got specialty bike tools like Shimano wrenches. I just go to the shop for these.

Changing hub bearings: 20 + 20 €. I Diy'd and it costed 5 for the grease and another 5 for the bearings for both. :D

Yeah I do repair it my self. :D

I'm feeling pretty lazy right now and have had some bike maintenance staring at me for a while. I can repair/maintain everything on the bike but have put some stuff off. I did do my chains yesterday. Took off and put into solvent and then waxed them. I have a new fork staring at me that needs installed but I am just not into doing it. My front fender broke off at the bottom and I need to do a Ghetto fix (duct tape and epoxty) until I can buy a new one. Most of my maintenance time recently has been wasted trying to convert to tubeless tires with sealant inside. PITA. Orange replaceable valves are garbage.

Fork is done. Tubeless conversion is a works in progress because it leaks but no problem. I'll get it done

The fender broke again. POS

I'm ditching the SKS plastic and going to aluminum fenders.

None of this is hard but few bike shops want to do this kind of work nor do they have employees capable.

I don't remember tinkering with my bike ever since. There's always someone to do it for me like a flat tire or a broken tire. Even the adjustment of saddle is too hard for me so I ask somebody to adjust it to my desired height. For major repairs, I bring the bike to the shop especially when there is a needed spare parts. But for minor, it can be my husband or anyone in the neighborhood with a golden heart.

Nowadays I easily do it myself. Sometimes back I used to worry about getting dirty while greasing my bike but nowadays am comfortable since am sure that I can save some money which I should instead of giving it to the mechanic. Repairing your bike is easy he you can follow simple diy tips that you can find online. You will only need some tools like the pliers and different spanner sizes.

I tend to do it myself these days too. I have everything I need to do it and it's something I find too difficult or time consuming, as I generally try to look after my bike properly. Would be different if it was a car or a motorbike though. If that was the case, I wouldn't have a clue.

I don't know how to repair a bike. My grandfather actually does it for me. Whenever I find anything wrong in my bike, I go to my grandfather's bike shop. He is a person with a lot of free time unlike my father and that is why he runs a bike repairing shop. I guess I am lucky to have a mechanics grandfather.

Have used a bicycle as my only means of transport several times in my life. Pretty much had to learn most of the basics to make sure I could get to work all the time. Most of it is pretty easy, though. Knowing how to tune and properly adjust all the parts on your bike avoids a lot of the repairs. For the more technical stuff that requires special tools or for jobs that require a lot of strength, I visit my local shop. The guys also help me when doing upgrades as to what will and what won't work.

I'm not especially mechanically minded, by the way. Working on cars, for instance, terrifies me. Way out of my league.

Last edited:
Who actually repairs their own bike? I get my dad too. I'm not a mechanics type of person. I get bored easily and make up every excuse in the book to avoid messing with oil and chains. He doesn't mind. :) Same goes for repairing cars. It's like his hobby.

I prefer fixing my own bike. You can get familiar with its spare parts and you can easily figure out what need to be fixed. Aside from saving money for labor payments on shops, You can also assure a quality output if you are the one who fix it. As Napoleon Bonaparte says "If you want a job well done, Do it alone!"

My father taught me how to fix bikes too, just as how he taught me how to ride one. It's really helpful as it saves money if you know how to do it.

My father taught me how to fix bikes too, just as how he taught me how to ride one. It's really helpful as it saves money if you know how to do it.

Yeah. And it is also necessary for a rider to at least know how to fix or troubleshoot some problems on their bike.