Bike repairs

SirJoe

Mar 8, 2016
Do you take your bike to a shop to have it repaired or do you do it yourself?
I do all my repairs myself, I find that I really enjoy it and relaxes me. There is nothing like rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty, besides riding the bike of course.

As I build all my bikes, I of course, also do all my own maintainance.

I would just bring my bikes to the shop and have them fix it up. I am way too busy to be fixing up my bikes and I would rather have the bike under professional hands than mine, haha!

My hands *are* professiona!! I spent 7 yearsmas a service manager in a bike shop...

Love working on bikes.
Friends come over all the time to use my tools and drink my beer, don't care get to fix bikes.

I worked on my bike four times.

First time, it was upgrading the bike where it had the lights on the front and back. Second time, I replaced a worn-out chain on the bike. Third and fourth time, fixed the back and front brakes, respectively. Other than that, I keep good maintenance of the bike.

Funny really. I had my bike stolen last year and I found it recently. I live in a city that has around 350 thousand people. So, anyway, it was ruined. The guy says he bought it and I believe him because he is very old. I do not know what was done to the poor thing but I had to take to the shop where they fix bikes. Usually I do it myself and as you said there is nothing more beautiful than getting dirty and fix things, at least for me but this one was too much for my knowledge and tools. This came to me as an idea to learn more about repairs since I have no job. A lot of people ride bicycles and they have to fix them all the time so I would really like to learn and start repairing them.

Funny really. I had my bike stolen last year and I found it recently. I live in a city that has around 350 thousand people. So, anyway, it was ruined. The guy says he bought it and I believe him because he is very old. I do not know what was done to the poor thing but I had to take to the shop where they fix bikes. Usually I do it myself and as you said there is nothing more beautiful than getting dirty and fix things, at least for me but this one was too much for my knowledge and tools. This came to me as an idea to learn more about repairs since I have no job. A lot of people ride bicycles and they have to fix them all the time so I would really like to learn and start repairing them.
That must of been a pleasant surprise, I don't doubt that you had already given up on ever seeing it again. It's a pity that who ever stole it didn't take care of it, but then again if they did they probably would still have it.

Sadly, I do not know how to repair my own bike. I am planning to learn how to do it on my own should an emergency happen along the way with no help around.

A mate of mine does most of the heavy maintenance work on my bike. He loves doing it, and I treat him to a good cup of coffee for the service. I can handle most of the basic maintenance, as it's not that difficult or time consuming. But if it's anything that's going to take me a hour or longer, I just call up my buddy.

Do I take my bikes to a shop for repair and maintenance? Let me put this gently, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUKK NO! :D

I build all my own wheels and bikes now. I've had too many parts and wheels damaged by so called High end shops around here. I have received crappy work from well known shops like Helen's, Incycle, Jax, Competitive Edge and a few others.

I build my own wheels too and save a ton of cash. Last time a shop built a wheel for me it was a Deep V 32 spoke and it didn't last the first 40 mile ride. That was the last straw!

I paid $80 for a rim, $30 for spokes, $130 for a hub and $100 labor for the freaking wheel to fail after 40 miles! :eek:

Took it back and the a hole said put 200 miles on it then he will true it up. WTF you serious, wheel was no longer rideable.

I disassembled it, rebuilt it with no problems. Been building my own since then and saving major cash too!

Online 10 speed hubs, front and back $135 shipped. Rim $60, spokes $20. For $200 I get a quality built wheel that gives me 20,000 enjoyable miles compared to the $400 for a lousy 40 miles at the "high end shops". :rolleyes:

I've had other major flop service form Incycle and Comtpetitive Edge, and Jax. **** that cost me money cause they didn't know what they were doing! :mad:

Bad thing is that customers trust the bike shop mechanics. So what they say they think is correct. BS! I've been told too many times I need new wheels because mine weren't strong enough. BS, set the proper tension they are fine. You need a new derailleur. BS, put in a new cable and it will shift fine! It's all easy stuff!

Go online,save money and do your own! It ain't hard! :cool:

build2_zpsf3f829ee.jpg

build1_zpsd39d0ebf.jpg

Madone1031.jpg

I speak fluent Campagnolo.

I am The Master of 1 MM Air Gaps (™ Weird Alf Yankyourchain) in UltraTorque Hirth Joints.

I have learned the ways of shitmaNO long arm front derailleur setup (muchas gracias to Old Bob Cat!).

I have built wheels that spanned the Globe to bring myself the constant variety of sports.

I have bathed in Kristal grease.

My hands were calibrated by Tullio, Himself (Peace be upon our Prophet).

I elevated the gluing of sew-ups to a high art form.

I once used a Triplex Sport derailleur so well that I was accused of being a warlock.

I tuned Buddha's Pinarello Prince and achieved perfection.

I was the One that told Park Tool to use the color blue.

It was my torque wrench's reaction that started the Earth rotating.

Love working on my bikes, I do help the local shop out by buying my parts thru them instead of the internet. I still get a team discount even know I haven't raced in about 21 years.

That must of been a pleasant surprise, I don't doubt that you had already given up on ever seeing it again. It's a pity that who ever stole it didn't take care of it, but then again if they did they probably would still have it.
I have some friends in the police and when I asked them about it they said they knew who probably stole it and that I am lucky it has both wheels. They usually take the parts and sell them separately or use it carelessly until it is not usable any more. It wasn't an accidental steal. These people make a living out of this. I mean he sold it for 15 Euros and he never paid a cent for it. A good deal I believe.

I have some friends in the police and when I asked them about it they said they knew who probably stole it and that I am lucky it has both wheels. They usually take the parts and sell them separately or use it carelessly until it is not usable any more. It wasn't an accidental steal. These people make a living out of this. I mean he sold it for 15 Euros and he never paid a cent for it. A good deal I believe.
There are always some one that everyone knows does this but unless they are caught red handed the police can't really do anything. To be honest I was surprised that you were able to find where you live. Normally after a bike has been stolen it will only appear miles away if it appears at all.
In the midst of all of this you still were luck because you got your bike back.

There are always some one that everyone knows does this but unless they are caught red handed the police can't really do anything. To be honest I was surprised that you were able to find where you live. Normally after a bike has been stolen it will only appear miles away if it appears at all.
In the midst of all of this you still were luck because you got your bike back.
I agree. The officer was in a shock too. It is not a small town. It is around 350 thousand people so I was pretty lucky. This guy even told the police that if he knew that it was stolen he would have repaint it :) They really laughed because the guy is a bit of a nut-case. Anyhow, it just appeared in front of me. Just like that.

It is getting more and more difficult to do your own repairs because there are more and more special tools necessary that you would pay a small fortune for and use once. So I do all of the general work and the specialized work I farm out to the shops.

That would do the trick, I bet your bikes are always in perfect condition.
Not "perfect" but quite reliable. Heh, I got the Service Manager spot even as a woman, because I was the only one in the shop who could build a wheel from scratch, or make a shimaNO "positron" rear deraileur actually index correctly...

Reactions: SirJoe
It is getting more and more difficult to do your own repairs because there are more and more special tools necessary that you would pay a small fortune for and use once. So I do all of the general work and the specialized work I farm out to the shops.

That I have to agree on, but some bikes may have its common tools, such as allen wrenches or Phillips screwdrivers, to fix common problems. If there's something you couldn't fix, a bike repair shop does the trick.