Bike restoration supplies?

fuzzcycle

Nov 25, 2014
I'm starting to restore a Schwinn Krate; what should be on my list of restoration gear?

of course I will be building on my necessary tool collection, and replacing small hardware.

But what do I need to fight a few tiny patches of rust, and clean the frame real well (both painted, and non-painted chrome components)?

Thanks

You can rub rust with a soft cloth and some WD40 or something to remove it. For the inside of the frame you can attach a long axle to a handheld drill with a WD40'd cloth attached to it.

OK thanks. I've also seen this orange seal shine to polish bike frames. should I get some, or are their cheaper household alternatives that do the same?

yes. I am even thinking about repainting. also, I would like to polish the chrome parts which are still in good condition

Going for collector value or for looks?

Can you post some pictures of the bike, focusing on the corrosion, paint flaws and overall condition?

Any good chrome polish (paste of liquid) will get the brightwork looking good again. Lots of elbow grease is required, but going gently with a lot of detailed rag work generally yields good results and causes the least loss of any collector value in the finish.

Same with the paint work, depending on its current state. You might be surprised at the degree of restoration is possible to original finishes if you go at it slowly and carefully. Of course, if the bike is a mess and beyond salvaging the original paint or if you just want a 'new' look, by all means, have at a re-spray.

Reactions: fuzzcycle
below are some pics of some light corrosion and dings on the bike. there are a lot of light speckles of rust all around, and a couple chips here and there. and i feel the paint has dulled a bit. though from afar, the bike doesn't look bad at all really.

I am going mainly for looks and necessary revitalization, as I will be riding this myself, and i don't want trouble spots to get worse.

I may sell it at a much later time, but i think i like it too much.

also, anything special I should use for grip removal and replacement? I've only ever removed rubber grips on a fairly new bike, using wd40. anything for prying of these old plastic types?

It doesn't look too bad...
wink.png

Is the discoloration on the paint rust or is it just oil stains? The dings seem to be just paint-deep.

I'm not sure about what kind of paint this is, but old solvent-based paints had a tendency of going "yellow" over the years. Newer solvent based paints are often advertised that they don't go yellow over the years. But that's for wall paints.

Maybe something like this:

1. Strip everything from the bike.

2. Clean everything with a rust removing product like WD40, using either a soft cloth and some manual work, or maybe you could use a polish bit on a drill or one of these Dremel machines.

3. The wheels seem to be a bit discolored - corroded.

4. Another option is to use an Ultrasonic parts cleaner. Alot of automotive and jewelry shops have these and use them to clean parts without using sanders etc.

5. Re-lace - true the wheels.

6. Replace all cables and possibly any plastic housings that might have dried out and are cracked. Also replace tubes, tires and brake pads.

7. The dings don't look that bad, but if you want to make it "Sunday ride" grade - new
big-smile.png
then you can maybe re-spray it. Maybe you can spray-paint it with wet paint in a shop for a nice shinny look instead of powder-coating. You will probably need to remove the paint, either with a chemical paint stripper (naaaaaasty stuff
big-smile.png
) or sand blasting. That's a good time to check the frame for cracks etc too.

8. If you find some decal designs over the net, you can order them on a decal-shop

9. After painting etc, you can apply a corrosion inhibitor to the inside of the frame. (Also very naaaaaaasty.
big-smile.png
)

10. Are the grips glued? Can you remove them by wrapping them with a cloth and twist-pull them using pliers without damaging them?

11. Add some original parts like a rack or a dynamo light system?

12. Never use it again?
big-smile.png

big-smile.png

0.jpg

hahah great post! I would like to make this thing a lowrider actually. invest in bent and twisted fork... haha we'll see. is that bottom photo a lube bath? most of the dings seem paint deep, aside from the chips, which are all about 1cm to 2cm in diameter. grips are removable seems like. I will be trying the WD40 to twist them free. still tinkering and might not be able to seriously start this project til my finals are over. but keep the suggestions coming! Thanks!

Originally Posted by fuzzcycle

is that bottom photo a lube bath?

Nope, it's an ultrasonic cleaner. The parts go in and the liquid gets "vibrated" in a very high frequency and that causes any foreign matter to be removed from the parts. They use them in jewelry shops and also in automotive applications.

Ultrasonic cleaning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrasonic_cleaning

It looks to be missing the chainguard, so hitting up eBay might be in order: http://www.google.com/webhp?nord=1#q=schwinn+orange+krate+chainguard&nord=1&tbm=shop&spd=7325549925175999636
Unless you have just removed it for detail cleaning?

I agree with Volnix. It really looks to be in pretty good condition. If it were mine, I would give everything a good clean & polish and replace any missing parts that didn't cost a first-born male child and call it a day. The value would be the highest going that route, if that is of concern to you.

For building a lowrider, chopper or other such custom it might be advisable to pick up a less valuable bike from Craigslist and start the building process on it. The older Schwinns have some collector value. If you have a 1968-1973 Orange Krate there is no way in Hell I would chop it. Part it out on eBay where frames bring $200-$500...possibly.

If you have one of the newer 'repro' or re-issue Krates from 1998, 2004 or 2011 it's still going to be a tough decision whether or not to heavily modify the Dorel-commissioned, Asian-built reproduction/tribute bike (unlike the U.S.A.-built Phantom tribute bike which was a replica build). In terms of production numbers, the 'new' Schwinn' are far lower than the original versions. They lack the collectability of the originals...for now...but may equal the collector value originals or even exceed the original versions in the future.

yes, it is missing the guard actually. in fact, seems the drive chain has been butchered in general... I don't think I will be replacing the gears. But thank you for the collector advice. I have been looking around for specific parts online, and some are quite pricey. (Part of why I dont think I will replace the 5 speed stick shift, being a broke student at the mo). I will certainly be picking and choosing... Hopefully a good clean will save me some $... I gave the grips a clean n they look good. I figure I should keep them but they are cheap to replace. I just realized the fenders don't look to good on the under side. I may post some more pics later. if anyone has any specific websites they can suggest, that would help too.