BIKE RIDE SUPPLEMENT

Chrisbnj

Apr 21, 2010
I was wondering what exercises you can do indoors to kinda fill that hole in your training if the weather does not permit a bike ride. If someone can give me some details or even a link to a good site that would be greatly appreciated. :)

You could always use a trainer or a stationary bike. Jumping rope can be a good cardio workout. You could run stairs if you have some wherever you live.
You could check out some of Pavel Tsatsouline's books. He's got a number of books about things from stretching/flexibility to bodyweight exercise and kettlebell training. You could also pick up Yoga/Pilates or something like that.

Chrisbnj said:
I was wondering what exercises you can do indoors to kinda fill that hole in your training if the weather does not permit a bike ride. If someone can give me some details or even a link to a good site that would be greatly appreciated. :)

As mentioned by Chrisbnj, you can ride a stationary bike/trainer or a roller. Also, depending on what day of your training schedule, you can replicate whatever you were supposed to do on the bike, less the bike. For example, for endurance ride, you can (again as mentioned) jump rope. Basically try to get the similar effect as if you rode your bike. I take the opportunity of not being able to ride to do some strength exercises (sit-up, push-ups, plyometrics, etc.) or do stretching exercises. Whatver you do, just do it :p Good luck!

Joe Friel said that once you are done with your winter training that you should focus on just the bike. Running and cycling are like water and oil. They simply don't mix. So, once you are done with all winter related cross training, get back on the bike and stay there even on days you are short of time.

I like to get on the trainer and throw in some TDF videos.

Cameron Hoffman
Pure Endurance

I use the trainer in the winter, otherwise between work at work and at home, spending time with the children and grand children, just doesn't allow me time to do weight training. when I retire I'll look into joining a gym.

Long time ago I faced a decision, spend time of a bike for cardio or spend time at a gym for muscle work, I decided the heart was more important; I can always start a weight lifting routine at any time, but if you wait on the heart you could die of a heart attack? Probably not unless you family has a history of that, but why take the chance.

A long time ago I faced a decision, spend time out on a bike for cardio or spend time at a gym for muscle work. I decided the muscles were more important. I can always start cycling at any time, but if I wait on the muscles, I could be crushed by a boulder or mugged in an alleyway? Probably not, but it's just as ridiculous as not lifting for fear of heart attack.

Actually, if you think that both cardio and weight training would benefit you, a gym membership is not required if that is all that's holding you back.

My cycling is my primary means of cardio exercise, but I believe the way I weight train also gives me cardio workout as well as increases my strength.

I do high rep sets ( 8 to 12 reps) with minimum time between sets when I weight lift, so my heart rate stays up and I get a good workout. This doesn't build huge muscles for me, but it does build lean muscles that can work all day when I need them to.

This is what I use for weight lifting:

Bowflex® SelectTech® 1090 Dumbbells

I bought mine on sale about 3 years ago, and got the weights and the stand for about $500. That's pretty cheap when you start pricing out free weights.

64Paramount said:
Actually, if you think that both cardio and weight training would benefit you, a gym membership is not required if that is all that's holding you back.

It's not the cost of joining a gym or the cost of buying something like the BowFlex you mentioned, although those don't have leg press capability; the problem is time. Time is so limited that if I paid for one or the other it would not get used except for rare occasions thus it's a waste of money for me.

On days where I can't bike, I work on core strength.
A program I regular use:
Dry-Land Workouts | 220 Triathlon Magazine
Sometimes I add sitting to a wall, or use some weights around my ankles for some exercises.
But for specificity, nothing beats rollers or an indoor trainer.
On an indoortrainer, with only 30minutes to spend, you could have a quality work out, specific for cycling, which isn't the case with other exercises.

Bart

Froze said:
It's not the cost of joining a gym or the cost of buying something like the BowFlex you mentioned, although those don't have leg press capability; the problem is time. Time is so limited that if I paid for one or the other it would not get used except for rare occasions thus it's a waste of money for me.

I hear ya, Froze. A lot of people buy workout equipment and then just let it gather dust....no point in wasting your money.

Another fun thing to do is testing. Check out your local guru's who have scientific VO2 Max, Lactate Threshold and wattage testing equipment. These things are hard, fun, and give you some great information to help you manage your training better. You should show up to testing with some good fitness, which should also give you motivation to train a little harder, even on the trainer.

I joined a gym in January but my son was born 3 weeks later so I didn't get the time. Instead I devised a 20 minute plan to do at home twice a week based on Joe Friel's Strength Maintenance plan, Cycling Weekly and Youtube (I know but she know's what she's talking about). It's mainly core work:

3 to 5 sun salutations to warm up as I often have a stiff lower back in the mornings ([ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LYbOOz447c[/ame])
Standing Squats 3 sets
Single leg squats 3 sets
2 minutes plank ([ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yFtmkYcZEY[/ame])
crunches 1 sets
situps with a twist