Bike Rider Hit And Killed Along Loveland Bike Trail

Garrison Hilliard

Guest
Bike Rider Hit And Killed Along Loveland Bike Trail

LAST UPDATE: 8/22/2005 12:05:24 PM

HAMILTON TOWNSHIP, Ohio -- A 40-year-old cyclist from Middletown was killed when
he ran his bike into a pickup truck on the Little Miami River Bike Trail, News 5
reported.

The victim was identified as Mathewn D. Howard, of Middletown.

The accident happened at 5:37 p.m. Sunday off Stubbs Mill Road in Warren County,
police said.

No charges will be filed because the bicyclist was at fault, police said.

Police believe Howard failed to stop at a marked intersection of the bike trail,
striking the truck in the driver's side door.

Investigators do not believe that alcohol, drugs or any other type of impairment
was a factor, police said.

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/4879155/detail.html

In the Chicago Tribune today, there's another careless cyclist death:

<<"Police... described her as a Caucasian woman 35 to 45 years old ...
wearing a bicyclist's athletic clothing and a helmet.

....The bicyclist was in a pedestrian crossing when she apparently
disregarded flashing lights, bells and warning gates, rode around the
stopped train and was struck by an express train>>

What these two stories point out is that a good fraction of the annual
bicycling deaths are completely preventable with reasonable care.

"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:

> What these two stories point out is that a good fraction of the annual
> bicycling deaths are completely preventable with reasonable care.

What do you mean? you can't stop a train on a dime!

..max
like chlorine in the gene pool.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> writes:

> What these two stories point out is that a good fraction of the annual
> bicycling deaths are completely preventable with reasonable care.

I regularly see riders coming up to intersections and barging
across the stop line, way into the cross street -- and /then/
looking for cross traffic. Usually they have to circle back,
and then end up shakily riding around in circles (to the
annoyance of any drivers behind them) until getting the most
minimal break in the cross traffic to go across. I expect one
of these days I'm going to witness a collision as a result of
this behaviour.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

I have since learned that the "Causasian woman 35 to 45 years old" who
was killed after she rode around RR crossing gates was quite an
experienced cyclist.

There's an obituary at the Oak Park Cycle Club site:
http://www.oakparkcycleclub.org/ Trish Quane was president-elect of
the cycling club. I possibly talked to her when I went on their
charity ride two days before.

I stand by my statement that this was a preventable bicycling death
(and the obituary doesn't blame anyone else), but it's a reminder that
experienced riders can still make mistakes that can be deadly.

On 4 Sep 2005 14:08:01 -0700, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Most days the trains are on schedule, but not that day. There was a
>slight derailment of a train. That train was being put back on the
>tracks on one side. The second train (a local) was on a second set of
>tracks, in the middle where the express usually runs. The Metra
>express that hit her was, by company regulations, supposed to stop
>since they were off the usual set of tracks. The opions expressed on
>the CCM mailing list is the train engineer will be fired for violating
>safety rules.

Uhm what? The original post here mentioned a bike-trail/pickup truck
encounter.

Jasper