Bike riding Australia

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by I_ride_my_bike, Sep 9, 2008.

1. I_ride_my_bike

I_ride_my_bike New Member

Next month I'm taking my bike with me to Australia to do a ride from Sydney to Melbourne, but I'm hearing from some folks its much better if I do the ride from Melbourne to Sydney? I already have the route mapped out just unsure of where to start.

Tags:

2. kakman

kakman New Member

Start in Melbourne. Nothing to do with the ride, it's just always better to be leaving Melbourne and heading to Sydney. :cool: ;)

3. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

Did they give you a reason why they thought Melbourne to Sydney was better than the other way?

Which route are you taking?

I reckon Melbourne is a better place to finish, but then I'm biased (even though I live in NSW)

BTW, if you are planning to finish in Melbourne, join the Bicycles Victoria forums. Lots of very nice, helpful and welcoming people on there.

4. scuppy

scuppy New Member

Probably wind or maybe thinking of a hill if you're going through snowy mountains. Don't worry about it too much.

5. I_ride_my_bike

I_ride_my_bike New Member

I was thinking of starting in Melbourne mainly because I would love the long ride, to end with my very first view of Sydney. THe only thing that sucks is my flight is from Toronto to Sydney, flights to Melbourne were more expensive, so as soon as I land in Sydney, I'm grabbing the first train to Melbourne, hang out there for a week and then begin my ride to Sydney.

6. sogood

sogood New Member

The prevailing wind in the south-east is south. The southerly is famous when it gets nasty. So yes, Melbourne to Sydney makes more sense.

7. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

Except Murphy will stick his oar in and the prevailing wind will turn northerly while I_ride_my_bike is doing his ride.