bike riding in Glasgow

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by mergirl101, Apr 16, 2004.

  1. mergirl101

    mergirl101 New Member

    Joined:
    May 17, 2003
    Hi, I'm a Scottish born Aussie - been here for almost 22 years. I'm going home in August and would like to be able to go out for a play on my bike! In Brisbane we have a great bike club, bbta.org and wonder if there is anything like this in Glasgow or surrounding areas? am looking for friendly folk to go for a 50 - 80 km ride with once or twice a week with at least a cup of decent coffee thrown in! I ride, dare I say it!, a hybrid... and like to coast along at around 20kph. Hope to hear from someone.

    Tags:

  2. On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:47:28 GMT, mergirl101 wrote:

    > Hi, I'm a Scottish born Aussie - been here for almost 22
    > years. I'm going home in August and would like to be able
    > to go out for a play on my bike! In Brisbane we have a
    > great bike club, bbta.org and wonder if there is anything
    > like this in Glasgow or surrounding areas? am looking for
    > friendly folk to go for a 50 - 80 km ride with once or
    > twice a week with at least a cup of decent coffee thrown
    > in! I ride, dare I say it!, a hybrid... and like to coast
    > along at around 20kph. Hope to hear from someone.

    Your name's not Shelagh, is it? ;-)
    --
    Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "I have never killed a
    man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." -

  3. Roos Eisma

    Roos Eisma Guest

    mergirl101 <[email protected]> writes:

    >looking for friendly folk to go for a 50 - 80 km ride with
    >once or twice a week with at least a cup of decent coffee
    >thrown in!

    Can't help you with the club but finding decent coffee may a
    bigger problem outside the larger cities!

    Roos

  4. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    mergirl101 wrote:
    > Hi, I'm a Scottish born Aussie - been here for almost 22
    > years. I'm going home in August and would like to be able
    > to go out for a play on my bike! In Brisbane we have a
    > great bike club, bbta.org and wonder if there is anything
    > like this in Glasgow or surrounding areas? am looking for
    > friendly folk to go for a 50 - 80 km ride with once or
    > twice a week with at least a cup of decent coffee thrown
    > in! I ride, dare I say it!, a hybrid... and like to coast
    > along at around 20kph.

    See if there's anyone available through
    http://www.ctcglasgow.org/ or
    http://www.cyclingscotland.org/

    Nothing wrong with hybrids, though Glasgow boasts the very
    wonderful Kinetics shop in Bearsden, where you can try
    something a bit more laid back... (http://kinetics.org.uk/)

    As Roos indicates, UK's coffee typically not up to much, so
    taking a flask advised ;-/

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
    33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177

  5. David Marsh

    David Marsh Guest

    [Text interleaved/in conversation order: read to end for all comments]
    begin quote from mergirl101 in uk.rec.cycling
    about: bike riding in Glasgow

    > Hi, I'm a Scottish born Aussie - been here for almost 22
    > years. I'm going home in August and would like to be able
    > to go out for a play on my bike! In Brisbane we have a
    > great bike club, bbta.org and wonder if there is anything
    > like this in Glasgow or surrounding areas? am looking for
    > friendly folk to go for a 50 - 80 km ride with once or
    > twice a week with at least a cup of decent coffee thrown
    > in! I ride, dare I say it!, a hybrid... and like to coast
    > along at around 20kph. Hope to hear from someone.

    From your description of the kind of cycling you're looking
    for, it sounds like Go Bike <http://www.gobike.org/> is
    probably exactly what you're looking for.

    Monthly easygoing rides of around the distance you have in
    mind, with additional rides and weekend trips in the summer
    months. A friendly bunch, although you may have to argue the
    merits of coffee at break stops. British cyclists seem to
    prefer the aberration known as tea for some strange reason
    (although cake wars tend to be limited to fights over who
    gets the last bit) .. ;-)

    David (founder Go Bike member and fellow coffee fan).

    --
    David Marsh, <reply-to-email is valid at time of writing> |
    Edinburgh, Scotland. [en, fr, (de)] |