Bike roof rack

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Turbo Fahel, Sep 15, 2003.

  1. Turbo Fahel

    Turbo Fahel Guest

    I have Rola roof racks on my 4wd and am looking for the best value Forkmount
    Carrier bike rack. What do you recommend and where to buy from?

    Thanks for any assistance.

    --
    Regards,
    Turbo Fahel

    ---

  2. Jock

    Jock Guest

    ROLA - in Sydney at Rhodes IIRC
    Jock

    "Turbo Fahel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have Rola roof racks on my 4wd and am looking for the best value

    Forkmount
    > Carrier bike rack. What do you recommend and where to buy from?
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Turbo Fahel
    > __o
    > -\<,
    > ( ) / ( )
    >

    > ---

  3. Col Jones

    Col Jones Guest

    Check out the Rola website www.rola.com.au and then contact Rola,
    Your NRMA (or even BNSW) membership may give you a discount direct or
    armed with the product details you can ring around the dealers for a
    quote.

    Note check out the hight of your SUV first as putting a bike on the
    roof can be a bit of a stretch and there is no point spending between
    $114 and $158 for a rackmount that is a pain in the butt to use. I
    have a Subaru foresster and this is about the max height that I would
    want to stretch (in comfort). Other suppliers can provide a range of
    towbar, spare wheel and rear hatch mount racks that may better suit
    your size (human) and vehicle height Check out the SUV mags or bike
    mags for more details

    Rola
    Unit C1/391 Regents Park Estate, Park Road, Regents Park 2143
    PO Box 415 Regents Park 2143
    Tel: (02) 9738 7666 Fax: (02) 9738 7844
    Email: [email protected]

    cheers

    Col

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:49:11 +1000, "Turbo Fahel"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have Rola roof racks on my 4wd and am looking for the best value Forkmount
    >Carrier bike rack. What do you recommend and where to buy from?
    >
    >Thanks for any assistance.

  4. I had Rolas on my Celica, and bought a set of Thule bike carriers, which
    mount on the Rola bars without any problems...

    Very good carriers.. Bought them from Roof Carrier Systems in Camberwell
    (http://www.roofcarriersystems.com.au), who were very thorough in
    instructing how to fit the carriers to the bars, etc... Have bought 3 sets
    of bars, and about 6 lots of accessories from them, and been totally
    satisfied thus far...

    "Turbo Fahel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have Rola roof racks on my 4wd and am looking for the best value

    Forkmount
    > Carrier bike rack. What do you recommend and where to buy from?
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Turbo Fahel
    > __o
    > -\<,
    > ( ) / ( )
    >

    > ---

  5. Gags

    Gags Guest

    Turbo,

    If you are in Melbourne, I have got a ROLA bike attachment that has been
    sitting in the shed since I last had ROLA racks on the car (1995 I think).
    I have just looked on the ROLA site http://www.rola.com.au/ and the ones
    that they are selling look exactly like mine. I have got both the standard
    and extended "bits" for the back wheel which allows the mount to be used for
    basically any size car.

    I am probably unlikely to get roof racks on the car in the near future and
    the rack is only taking up space in the shed so if you are in Melbourne and
    are interested, we might be able to do a deal. You can email me via my
    website: www.ozemail.com.au/~drgagnon

    Cheers,

    Gags

    "Turbo Fahel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have Rola roof racks on my 4wd and am looking for the best value

    Forkmount
    > Carrier bike rack. What do you recommend and where to buy from?
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Turbo Fahel
    > __o
    > -\<,
    > ( ) / ( )
    >

    > ---

  6. mikeg

    mikeg Guest

    Turbo Fahel wrote:
    > I have Rola roof racks on my 4wd and am looking for the best
    > value Forkmount Carrier bike rack. What do you recommend and
    > where to buy from?
    > Thanks for any assistance.
    > --
    > Regards, Turbo Fahel __o -\<, ( ) / ( )
    > ---
    > Virus Database: 316 - Release Date: 11/09/2003

    Rhino Rack in Rydalmere Sydney have a fork mount rack, also is disc
    brake compatable, which are supposed to be compatable with Rola Racks.
    They also have a range of towbar and 2" receiver hitch rear bike racks
    fixed and fold down. Their fork mount is priced about the same as short
    rail version of the Rola fork mount.

    http://www.rhinorack.com.au/

    Michael

  7. Glen F

    Glen F Guest

    > Note check out the hight of your SUV first as putting a bike on the
    > roof can be a bit of a stretch and there is no point spending between
    > $114 and $158 for a rackmount that is a pain in the butt to use.

    Yep, and how long before you forget and drive under that lowish
    thing? Much more of an issue on a tall 4WDs.

    Also, there seems to be more stress on the bike forks way up there,
    even without hitting something. I have twice broken expensive alloy
    MTB fork dropouts on the roof, both from "incidents" rather than
    actual hits. Then there was that other time that I drove under the
    house.....

    Suggest look at a Thule spare wheel rack, or one of the towbar systems.

  8. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    : actual hits. Then there was that other time that I drove under the
    : house.....

    Hehe. Me into a car port. Funny how you forget about these things.

  9. K&C Russell

    K&C Russell Guest

    "Turbo Fahel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have Rola roof racks on my 4wd and am looking for the best value

    Forkmount
    > Carrier bike rack. What do you recommend and where to buy from?
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Turbo Fahel