bike route - surrey hills to carlton

dej

Guest
gday,
starting a new job in a couple weeks and will need to start riding into
carlton (as opposed to riding from SH to clayton)..
i guess i'll ride straight down cantebury rd until i hit auburn rd but im
not too sure where to go from there? any recommendations for good cycling
routes?
ta

dej said:
gday,
starting a new job in a couple weeks and will need to start riding into
carlton (as opposed to riding from SH to clayton)..
i guess i'll ride straight down cantebury rd until i hit auburn rd but im
not too sure where to go from there? any recommendations for good cycling
routes?
ta

surrey hills. why not go north to eastern fwy/yarra trail,
across fairfield pipebridge and down to dight falls,
turn up to trennery cres and around to Victoria Park,
go under railway walkway to Truro St lights, over Hoddle to Keele St, Kerr St thru to Brunswick St then whatever you need from there.

you'll do 80% of that trip without seeing car and the collingwood/fitzroy part is vair quiet

for more detailed map...

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~bdarabug/other_resources/commuter_2.pdf

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:19:58 +1000, flyingdutch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>dej Wrote:
>> gday,
>> starting a new job in a couple weeks and will need to start riding
>> into
>> carlton (as opposed to riding from SH to clayton)..
>> i guess i'll ride straight down cantebury rd until i hit auburn rd but
>> im
>> not too sure where to go from there? any recommendations for good
>> cycling
>> routes?
>> ta

>surrey hills. why not go north to eastern fwy/yarra trail,
>across fairfield pipebridge and down to dight falls,
>turn up to trennery cres and around to Victoria Park,
>go under railway walkway to Truro St lights, over Hoddle to Keele St,
>Kerr St thru to Brunswick St then whatever you need from there.

woo baby, the pipebridge in the wet?! Doesn't it have checkerplate
for flooring? I can't remember?

Carl Brewer said:
woo baby, the pipebridge in the wet?! Doesn't it have checkerplate
for flooring? I can't remember?

Yep. theoretically you aint allowed to ride on it anyhow, but its definetly a go-slow jobbie, even in the dry. a couple-o years ago i turned the corner along it, well at least i pointed my bars in a different direction but me-n-bike just kept going straight ahead. oucherama!

am also tryin to find out if that darned pipe is still in use. It 'belongs' to Yarra Valley Water but they arent sharing any info on it and its impossible to tell if there is water in it! there was originally 2 pipes going across the bridge

refer:

http://boroondarabug.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album07

besides, wet just identifies who's a hardcore commuter. PS lovin mudguards at the mo. i's hates gettin the wet shoes'n'****

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:26:34 +1000, flyingdutch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Carl Brewer Wrote:
>>
>> woo baby, the pipebridge in the wet?! Doesn't it have checkerplate
>> for flooring? I can't remember?

>Yep. theoretically you aint allowed to ride on it anyhow, but its
>definetly a go-slow jobbie, even in the dry. a couple-o years ago i
>turned the corner along it, well at least i pointed my bars in a
>different direction but me-n-bike just kept going straight ahead.
>oucherama!

That's also where my front rim exploded. Coming down to the
bridge from the Fairfield side, not from wankers corner
on the foolevard. *very* slow, lucky ...

>am also tryin to find out if that darned pipe is still in use. It
>'belongs' to Yarra Valley Water but they arent sharing any info on it
>and its impossible to tell if there is water in it!

Drill a hole in it and see what comes out :)

Carl Brewer said:
Drill a hole in it and see what comes out :)

"aah, this drill should do the trick. hmm its thick pipe! gettin there...
Whats_that_smell?... smells like...
gas. GAS? oh sh...."

flyingdutch wrote:
> Carl Brewer Wrote:
>

>>Drill a hole in it and see what comes out :)

> "aah, this drill should do the trick. hmm its thick pipe! gettin
> there...
> Whats_that_smell?... smells like...
> gas. GAS? oh sh...."

I think one of them is in use but one hasn't been used for ages.

--
Nick

dej said:
gday,
starting a new job in a couple weeks and will need to start riding into
carlton (as opposed to riding from SH to clayton)..
i guess i'll ride straight down cantebury rd until i hit auburn rd but im
not too sure where to go from there? any recommendations for good cycling
routes?
ta
Straight down the Pacific Highway? IN the mornings it runs so slow you are easily the same pace as the traffic..

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> dej Wrote:
>> gday,
>> starting a new job in a couple weeks and will need to start riding
>> into
>> carlton (as opposed to riding from SH to clayton)..
>> i guess i'll ride straight down cantebury rd until i hit auburn rd but
>> im
>> not too sure where to go from there? any recommendations for good
>> cycling
>> routes?
>> ta

> surrey hills. why not go north to eastern fwy/yarra trail,
> across fairfield pipebridge and down to dight falls,
> turn up to trennery cres and around to Victoria Park,
> go under railway walkway to Truro St lights, over Hoddle to Keele St,
> Kerr St thru to Brunswick St then whatever you need from there.
>
> you'll do 80% of that trip without seeing car and the
> collingwood/fitzroy part is vair quiet
>
> for more detailed map...
>
> http://home.vicnet.net.au/~bdarabug/other_resources/commuter_2.pdf
>

> --
> flyingdutch

Thanks dutch, i dont mind riding the roads, but im not sure how cycle
friendly they are heading into / out of the city during peak hours:(
Will give it a go..
thanks again