bike route - surrey hills to carlton

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by dej, Jun 29, 2005.

  1. dej

    dej Guest

    gday,
    starting a new job in a couple weeks and will need to start riding into
    carlton (as opposed to riding from SH to clayton)..
    i guess i'll ride straight down cantebury rd until i hit auburn rd but im
    not too sure where to go from there? any recommendations for good cycling
    routes?
    ta

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    surrey hills. why not go north to eastern fwy/yarra trail,
    across fairfield pipebridge and down to dight falls,
    turn up to trennery cres and around to Victoria Park,
    go under railway walkway to Truro St lights, over Hoddle to Keele St, Kerr St thru to Brunswick St then whatever you need from there.

    you'll do 80% of that trip without seeing car and the collingwood/fitzroy part is vair quiet

    for more detailed map...

    http://home.vicnet.net.au/~bdarabug/other_resources/commuter_2.pdf

  3. Carl Brewer

    Carl Brewer Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:19:58 +1000, flyingdutch
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >dej Wrote:
    >> gday,
    >> starting a new job in a couple weeks and will need to start riding
    >> into
    >> carlton (as opposed to riding from SH to clayton)..
    >> i guess i'll ride straight down cantebury rd until i hit auburn rd but
    >> im
    >> not too sure where to go from there? any recommendations for good
    >> cycling
    >> routes?
    >> ta

    >surrey hills. why not go north to eastern fwy/yarra trail,
    >across fairfield pipebridge and down to dight falls,
    >turn up to trennery cres and around to Victoria Park,
    >go under railway walkway to Truro St lights, over Hoddle to Keele St,
    >Kerr St thru to Brunswick St then whatever you need from there.

    woo baby, the pipebridge in the wet?! Doesn't it have checkerplate
    for flooring? I can't remember?

  4. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Yep. theoretically you aint allowed to ride on it anyhow, but its definetly a go-slow jobbie, even in the dry. a couple-o years ago i turned the corner along it, well at least i pointed my bars in a different direction but me-n-bike just kept going straight ahead. oucherama!

    am also tryin to find out if that darned pipe is still in use. It 'belongs' to Yarra Valley Water but they arent sharing any info on it and its impossible to tell if there is water in it! there was originally 2 pipes going across the bridge

    refer:

    http://boroondarabug.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album07

    besides, wet just identifies who's a hardcore commuter. PS lovin mudguards at the mo. i's hates gettin the wet shoes'n'arse

  5. Carl Brewer

    Carl Brewer Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:26:34 +1000, flyingdutch
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Carl Brewer Wrote:
    >>
    >> woo baby, the pipebridge in the wet?! Doesn't it have checkerplate
    >> for flooring? I can't remember?

    >Yep. theoretically you aint allowed to ride on it anyhow, but its
    >definetly a go-slow jobbie, even in the dry. a couple-o years ago i
    >turned the corner along it, well at least i pointed my bars in a
    >different direction but me-n-bike just kept going straight ahead.
    >oucherama!

    That's also where my front rim exploded. Coming down to the
    bridge from the Fairfield side, not from wankers corner
    on the foolevard. *very* slow, lucky ...

    >am also tryin to find out if that darned pipe is still in use. It
    >'belongs' to Yarra Valley Water but they arent sharing any info on it
    >and its impossible to tell if there is water in it!

    Drill a hole in it and see what comes out :)

  6. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    "aah, this drill should do the trick. hmm its thick pipe! gettin there...
    Whats_that_smell?... smells like...
    gas. GAS? oh sh...."

  7. NoZX6R

    NoZX6R Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > Carl Brewer Wrote:
    >

    >>Drill a hole in it and see what comes out :)

    > "aah, this drill should do the trick. hmm its thick pipe! gettin
    > there...
    > Whats_that_smell?... smells like...
    > gas. GAS? oh sh...."

    I think one of them is in use but one hasn't been used for ages.

    --
    Nick

  8. casurina99

    casurina99 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2004
    Straight down the Pacific Highway? IN the mornings it runs so slow you are easily the same pace as the traffic..

  9. dej

    dej Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > dej Wrote:
    >> gday,
    >> starting a new job in a couple weeks and will need to start riding
    >> into
    >> carlton (as opposed to riding from SH to clayton)..
    >> i guess i'll ride straight down cantebury rd until i hit auburn rd but
    >> im
    >> not too sure where to go from there? any recommendations for good
    >> cycling
    >> routes?
    >> ta

    > surrey hills. why not go north to eastern fwy/yarra trail,
    > across fairfield pipebridge and down to dight falls,
    > turn up to trennery cres and around to Victoria Park,
    > go under railway walkway to Truro St lights, over Hoddle to Keele St,
    > Kerr St thru to Brunswick St then whatever you need from there.
    >
    > you'll do 80% of that trip without seeing car and the
    > collingwood/fitzroy part is vair quiet
    >
    > for more detailed map...
    >
    > http://home.vicnet.net.au/~bdarabug/other_resources/commuter_2.pdf
    >

    > --
    > flyingdutch

    Thanks dutch, i dont mind riding the roads, but im not sure how cycle
    friendly they are heading into / out of the city during peak hours:(
    Will give it a go..
    thanks again

  10. roshea

    roshea Guest

    There was a thread recently about commuting from Blackburn to Parkville
    which may help you out a bit. This link may (or may not!) get you to
    that thread:
    http://tinyurl.com/95an5