Bike routes around WImbledon area and south

Jim

Guest
Does anyone know of any of the above?

I am new to the area and would like to discover routes out into the country
if possible.

Any advice, gratefully recieved. :)

Jim wrote:
> Does anyone know of any of the above?
>
> I am new to the area and would like to discover routes out into the
> country if possible.
>
> Any advice, gratefully recieved. :)

On or off road or both?

pk

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:53:18 +0000, Jim wrote:

> Does anyone know of any of the above?
>
> I am new to the area and would like to discover routes out into the
> country if possible.

First stop is the London Cycling Campaign
http://www.lcc.org.uk

Second stop is the series of free cycling maps from TfL which
cover all of London.

http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=37

Phone 02072221234 and ask for no 14
The ones to the south are 13, 17, 15 so get them as well.

You could follow the Wandle Trail:
http://www.wandletrail.org/

Also Richmond Park.

"Jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone know of any of the above?
>
> I am new to the area and would like to discover routes out into the
> country
> if possible.
>
> Any advice, gratefully recieved. :)

Okay, a nice route would be to hack over Wimbledon common, into Richmond
Park, a quick lap and down into Richmond. Along the Thames tow path down to
Guildford. Just don't do the towpath on a weekend unless you have a bell.

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:53:18 GMT, "Jim" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Does anyone know of any of the above?
>
>I am new to the area and would like to discover routes out into the country
>if possible.
>
>Any advice, gratefully recieved. :)

I'm slightly south of you and looking for suggestions too.. and
wondering if there are versions of something autoroute which have
cycle lanes / paths.

A couple of things I've found useful

- http://www.sustrans.org/ (Sustrans is a charity that works on
practical projects to encourage people to walk, cycle and use public
transport).. the "Plan Route" being very useful.

- Kingston Council publish "Cycling in Kingston"... I got mine free
from the local Evans Cycles in Kingston. Has a big map of all the
cycle routes and proposed routes...(covers the area bounded by ham,
hampton court, raynes park and ewell) the other side has a detailed
map of Kingston Centre showing cycle parking. Been useful, and is
small / light enough to put in the back pocket.

- A standard London A-to-Z...

Some of the areas I do (normally a home - there - around a few times -
back home);

- Richmond Park is a fav... combined with Bushy Park and/or Wimbledon
Common for variation.

- Thames path

- Horton Country Park

- Epson Common

Other times its, that road looks interesting, I haven't been that way
before, whats that building...

Last sunday headed out from Kingston (without map!) to Hampton Court
then Bushy Park - Teddington - Twickenham - Richmond - Kew, felt good
so crossed over the Thames again to Chiswick - Hammersmith - Fulham -
Chealsea - Sloane Square - Hyde Park - Buckingham Palace - Westminster
- Trafalar Square - Strand - Fleet Street - St Pauls - Monument -
Tower Bridge - Elephant and Castle - Kennington - Clapham - Balham -
Tooting - Merton - Wimbledon - Rayes Park - Norbiton - Kingston..
phew! About 45 miles (measured using string on a map!)... total time 5
hours (including stopping for lunch in Hyde Park).

A relatively uneventful ride... apart being cut up on the roundabout
in bushy park.. but useful interms of getting used to traffic, being
aware of everything around, and trying to work out where I was and
where I was going!

Regards
Mark

Jim wrote:
> Does anyone know of any of the above?
>
> I am new to the area and would like to discover routes out into the
> country if possible.
>
> Any advice, gratefully recieved. :)

I'll assume you have a suitable map

A: Richmond park & Hasmpton court
Not suitable for road bike:

Wimbledon common
Down the back side to Beverly Brook (see one of the poasted maps on the
common)
rRight.
To A3
Cross to robin hood gate
You are in Richmond park
The gravel cycle path is 7/8 miles round
Left takes uou up the hill affectionately known as Cardiac hill, right is
easier with longer less steep drags
Retrace route from Robin hood gate

About 13 miles

Extension:

Out at Ham gate
To Ham
To Teddington lock following signed route
Left along thames to kingston bridge
across bridge
left along river
to hampton court
right
left into bushy park
straight line trhough park.
Left
right at round about 1
right at roundabout 2
along teddington high street
Pint at the Tide End
across the lock bridge.
Retrace route back to park

Adds abour 12/13 miles

B Box hill all on road

A24 to epsom
up onto the downs
Langley vale road
Left onto Headley road to Slough lane
Right
Right at tee
left into lodgebottom road
left at end
left up the zigzag to the top of box hill for tea and pastie
Carry on the same road to Headley commom road
Left
pick up the same road you came doen on and follow signed route back to Epsom
and then back to wimbledon

About 30 miles

Option:

at bottom of box hill zig zag, continue almost to A24,
tea and cake at the Bikers cafe
To a24. walk bike across and take (hell I can't rememer it's name) road
almost across from you and you are at the start of some great cycling
country over into the surrey hills you need maps!

pk

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:32:34 +0000 (UTC), "p.k."
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Jim wrote:
>> Does anyone know of any of the above?
>>

>Not suitable for road bike:
>
>Wimbledon common
>Down the back side to Beverly Brook (see one of the poasted maps on the
>common)

Agree!... I did the grallevy hill on my Galaxy... downhill sideways on
loose grave :eek:O didn't go over but I went a lot slower afterwards!!

>B Box hill all on road
>
>A24 to epsom
>up onto the downs
>Langley vale road
>Left onto Headley road to Slough lane
>Right
>Right at tee
>left into lodgebottom road
>left at end
>left up the zigzag to the top of box hill for tea and pastie
>Carry on the same road to Headley commom road
>Left
>pick up the same road you came doen on and follow signed route back to Epsom
>and then back to wimbledon
>
>About 30 miles
>
>Option:
>
>at bottom of box hill zig zag, continue almost to A24,
>tea and cake at the Bikers cafe
>To a24. walk bike across and take (hell I can't rememer it's name) road
>almost across from you and you are at the start of some great cycling
>country over into the surrey hills you need maps!

Thanks pk for posting this... I think it maybe my next ride once I
have some paper maps of the area (which I need anyway so I can figure
out how to get down to guildford sometime soon)!

Regards
Mark

"Mark Blewett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:53:18 GMT, "Jim" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know of any of the above?
>>
>>I am new to the area and would like to discover routes out into the
>>country
>>if possible.
>>
>>Any advice, gratefully recieved. :)

> I'm slightly south of you and looking for suggestions too.. and
> wondering if there are versions of something autoroute which have
> cycle lanes / paths.

> Last sunday headed out from Kingston (without map!) to Kingston..
> phew! A total time 5 hours.

A few too many pints and pies there?

In all honesty I like cycling into London as much as I like cycling out and
around it. It just depends on the mood and conditions.

Tonight I called off my twenty mile cycle, but last night 20 was fine. One
thing I have found is that some of the "old fogey" things that LCC (etc..)
runs are full of different places. They are worth going on to find new
places.

p.s. don't tell them that. However, they'll try and get you to join up the
more adventerous rides. I was more than happy being the best for once though
;)

Take a look at Esher, there are some really great woods there too.

Actually, get into http://www.centrallondonctc.org.uk/ for an idea of
discovering new routes.

That's my help done and dusted!

"Mark Blewett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks pk for posting this... I think it maybe my next ride once I
> have some paper maps of the area (which I need anyway so I can figure
> out how to get down to guildford sometime soon)!

Easy. Hampton Court. Head South. Through Weybridge. Join towpath. Turn left
just under the M25 underpass.

Keep going.

At Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:47:54 +0100, message
<[email protected]> was posted by "elyob"
<[email protected]>, including some, all or none of the following:

>Hampton Court. Head South. Through Weybridge. Join towpath. Turn left
>just under the M25 underpass.

Mornington Crescent in three.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:41:25 +0100, "elyob" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Mark Blewett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:53:18 GMT, "Jim" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone know of any of the above?
>>>
>>>I am new to the area and would like to discover routes out into the
>>>country
>>>if possible.
>>>
>>>Any advice, gratefully recieved. :)

>> I'm slightly south of you and looking for suggestions too.. and
>> wondering if there are versions of something autoroute which have
>> cycle lanes / paths.

>> Last sunday headed out from Kingston (without map!) to Kingston..
>> phew! A total time 5 hours.

>A few too many pints and pies there?

No just the last 17 or so years of not cycling... and having a few too
many pints and pies during that time!

Seriously it was a bit of a potter and just enjoying the sights (also
cr@p traffic on tooting broadway), my average speed is not great at
the moment.. locally where I know where I'm going and whats next I'm
probably about 15mph.. I was disapointed with about 10mph (taking out
the time for lunch).

>In all honesty I like cycling into London as much as I like cycling out and
>around it. It just depends on the mood and conditions.

I enjoyed it... I wouldn't of tried it on a weekday.. some parts too
busy (around the hammersmith fly-over, elephant and castle and tooting
broadway for example).. some parts were brilliant (hyde park, around
buckingham place and whitehall, and the city.. which was deserted on a
sunday).

Getting home and releasing I hadn't passed the 50 mile mark was a
bummer.. but then again my previous longest ride since I started again
cycling a month ago was 20 miles so I doubled it :eek:)

>Tonight I called off my twenty mile cycle, but last night 20 was fine. One
>thing I have found is that some of the "old fogey" things that LCC (etc..)
>runs are full of different places. They are worth going on to find new
>places.

Thats my intention soon as I feel I'm capable.. both for findiing new
places.. and finding the tea and cakes :eek:)

>p.s. don't tell them that. However, they'll try and get you to join up the
>more adventerous rides. I was more than happy being the best for once though
>;)

:eek:)

>Take a look at Esher, there are some really great woods there too.

Ok, thanks for the suggestion... Seems I need to get some old
fashoined paper maps for surrey (and hampshire).. and start exploring.

>Actually, get into http://www.centrallondonctc.org.uk/ for an idea of
>discovering new routes.
>
>That's my help done and dusted!

Thanks, even if you did imply my average speed was cr@p (and it was..
I don't disagree)...

Which leads to a question..

As a newbie cyclist, whats better to do... the distance or get the
speed?

In my mind, I've always thought do the distance and the speed will
come with experience and fitness,

Or should I be looking for the speed first, and externding how far I
do?

Any thoughts please?

Thanks
Mark

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:53:15 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>At Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:47:54 +0100, message
><[email protected]> was posted by "elyob"
><[email protected]>, including some, all or none of the following:
>
>>Hampton Court. Head South. Through Weybridge. Join towpath. Turn left
>>just under the M25 underpass.

>Mornington Crescent in three.

Humph.. what about parkers first principle? ;o)