Bike routes around WImbledon area and south

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jim, Jun 27, 2005.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Does anyone know of any of the above?

    I am new to the area and would like to discover routes out into the country
    if possible.

    Any advice, gratefully recieved. :)

    Tags:

  2. p.k.

    p.k. Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > Does anyone know of any of the above?
    >
    > I am new to the area and would like to discover routes out into the
    > country if possible.
    >
    > Any advice, gratefully recieved. :)

    On or off road or both?

    pk

  3. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:53:18 +0000, Jim wrote:

    > Does anyone know of any of the above?
    >
    > I am new to the area and would like to discover routes out into the
    > country if possible.

    First stop is the London Cycling Campaign
    http://www.lcc.org.uk

    Second stop is the series of free cycling maps from TfL which
    cover all of London.

    http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=37

    Phone 02072221234 and ask for no 14
    The ones to the south are 13, 17, 15 so get them as well.

    You could follow the Wandle Trail:
    http://www.wandletrail.org/

    Also Richmond Park.

  4. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "Jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Does anyone know of any of the above?
    >
    > I am new to the area and would like to discover routes out into the
    > country
    > if possible.
    >
    > Any advice, gratefully recieved. :)

    Okay, a nice route would be to hack over Wimbledon common, into Richmond
    Park, a quick lap and down into Richmond. Along the Thames tow path down to
    Guildford. Just don't do the towpath on a weekend unless you have a bell.

  5. Mark Blewett

    Mark Blewett Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:53:18 GMT, "Jim" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone know of any of the above?
    >
    >I am new to the area and would like to discover routes out into the country
    >if possible.
    >
    >Any advice, gratefully recieved. :)

    I'm slightly south of you and looking for suggestions too.. and
    wondering if there are versions of something autoroute which have
    cycle lanes / paths.

    A couple of things I've found useful

    - http://www.sustrans.org/ (Sustrans is a charity that works on
    practical projects to encourage people to walk, cycle and use public
    transport).. the "Plan Route" being very useful.

    - Kingston Council publish "Cycling in Kingston"... I got mine free
    from the local Evans Cycles in Kingston. Has a big map of all the
    cycle routes and proposed routes...(covers the area bounded by ham,
    hampton court, raynes park and ewell) the other side has a detailed
    map of Kingston Centre showing cycle parking. Been useful, and is
    small / light enough to put in the back pocket.

    - A standard London A-to-Z...

    Some of the areas I do (normally a home - there - around a few times -
    back home);

    - Richmond Park is a fav... combined with Bushy Park and/or Wimbledon
    Common for variation.

    - Thames path

    - Horton Country Park

    - Epson Common

    Other times its, that road looks interesting, I haven't been that way
    before, whats that building...

    Last sunday headed out from Kingston (without map!) to Hampton Court
    then Bushy Park - Teddington - Twickenham - Richmond - Kew, felt good
    so crossed over the Thames again to Chiswick - Hammersmith - Fulham -
    Chealsea - Sloane Square - Hyde Park - Buckingham Palace - Westminster
    - Trafalar Square - Strand - Fleet Street - St Pauls - Monument -
    Tower Bridge - Elephant and Castle - Kennington - Clapham - Balham -
    Tooting - Merton - Wimbledon - Rayes Park - Norbiton - Kingston..
    phew! About 45 miles (measured using string on a map!)... total time 5
    hours (including stopping for lunch in Hyde Park).

    A relatively uneventful ride... apart being cut up on the roundabout
    in bushy park.. but useful interms of getting used to traffic, being
    aware of everything around, and trying to work out where I was and
    where I was going!

    Regards
    Mark

  6. p.k.

    p.k. Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > Does anyone know of any of the above?
    >
    > I am new to the area and would like to discover routes out into the
    > country if possible.
    >
    > Any advice, gratefully recieved. :)

    I'll assume you have a suitable map

    A: Richmond park & Hasmpton court
    Not suitable for road bike:

    Wimbledon common
    Down the back side to Beverly Brook (see one of the poasted maps on the
    common)
    rRight.
    To A3
    Cross to robin hood gate
    You are in Richmond park
    The gravel cycle path is 7/8 miles round
    Left takes uou up the hill affectionately known as Cardiac hill, right is
    easier with longer less steep drags
    Retrace route from Robin hood gate

    About 13 miles

    Extension:

    Out at Ham gate
    To Ham
    To Teddington lock following signed route
    Left along thames to kingston bridge
    across bridge
    left along river
    to hampton court
    right
    left into bushy park
    straight line trhough park.
    Left
    right at round about 1
    right at roundabout 2
    along teddington high street
    Pint at the Tide End
    across the lock bridge.
    Retrace route back to park

    Adds abour 12/13 miles

    B Box hill all on road

    A24 to epsom
    up onto the downs
    Langley vale road
    Left onto Headley road to Slough lane
    Right
    Right at tee
    left into lodgebottom road
    left at end
    left up the zigzag to the top of box hill for tea and pastie
    Carry on the same road to Headley commom road
    Left
    pick up the same road you came doen on and follow signed route back to Epsom
    and then back to wimbledon

    About 30 miles

    Option:

    at bottom of box hill zig zag, continue almost to A24,
    tea and cake at the Bikers cafe
    To a24. walk bike across and take (hell I can't rememer it's name) road
    almost across from you and you are at the start of some great cycling
    country over into the surrey hills you need maps!

    pk

  7. Mark Blewett

    Mark Blewett Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:32:34 +0000 (UTC), "p.k."
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Jim wrote:
    >> Does anyone know of any of the above?
    >>

    >Not suitable for road bike:
    >
    >Wimbledon common
    >Down the back side to Beverly Brook (see one of the poasted maps on the
    >common)

    Agree!... I did the grallevy hill on my Galaxy... downhill sideways on
    loose grave :eek:O didn't go over but I went a lot slower afterwards!!

    >B Box hill all on road
    >
    >A24 to epsom
    >up onto the downs
    >Langley vale road
    >Left onto Headley road to Slough lane
    >Right
    >Right at tee
    >left into lodgebottom road
    >left at end
    >left up the zigzag to the top of box hill for tea and pastie
    >Carry on the same road to Headley commom road
    >Left
    >pick up the same road you came doen on and follow signed route back to Epsom
    >and then back to wimbledon
    >
    >About 30 miles
    >
    >Option:
    >
    >at bottom of box hill zig zag, continue almost to A24,
    >tea and cake at the Bikers cafe
    >To a24. walk bike across and take (hell I can't rememer it's name) road
    >almost across from you and you are at the start of some great cycling
    >country over into the surrey hills you need maps!

    Thanks pk for posting this... I think it maybe my next ride once I
    have some paper maps of the area (which I need anyway so I can figure
    out how to get down to guildford sometime soon)!

    Regards
    Mark

  8. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "Mark Blewett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:53:18 GMT, "Jim" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone know of any of the above?
    >>
    >>I am new to the area and would like to discover routes out into the
    >>country
    >>if possible.
    >>
    >>Any advice, gratefully recieved. :)

    > I'm slightly south of you and looking for suggestions too.. and
    > wondering if there are versions of something autoroute which have
    > cycle lanes / paths.

    > Last sunday headed out from Kingston (without map!) to Kingston..
    > phew! A total time 5 hours.

    A few too many pints and pies there?

    In all honesty I like cycling into London as much as I like cycling out and
    around it. It just depends on the mood and conditions.

    Tonight I called off my twenty mile cycle, but last night 20 was fine. One
    thing I have found is that some of the "old fogey" things that LCC (etc..)
    runs are full of different places. They are worth going on to find new
    places.

    p.s. don't tell them that. However, they'll try and get you to join up the
    more adventerous rides. I was more than happy being the best for once though
    ;)

    Take a look at Esher, there are some really great woods there too.

    Actually, get into http://www.centrallondonctc.org.uk/ for an idea of
    discovering new routes.

    That's my help done and dusted!

  9. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "Mark Blewett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thanks pk for posting this... I think it maybe my next ride once I
    > have some paper maps of the area (which I need anyway so I can figure
    > out how to get down to guildford sometime soon)!

    Easy. Hampton Court. Head South. Through Weybridge. Join towpath. Turn left
    just under the M25 underpass.

    Keep going.

  10. At Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:47:54 +0100, message
    <[email protected]> was posted by "elyob"
    <[email protected]>, including some, all or none of the following:

    >Hampton Court. Head South. Through Weybridge. Join towpath. Turn left
    >just under the M25 underpass.

    Mornington Crescent in three.

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  11. Mark Blewett

    Mark Blewett Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:41:25 +0100, "elyob" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Mark Blewett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:53:18 GMT, "Jim" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does anyone know of any of the above?
    >>>
    >>>I am new to the area and would like to discover routes out into the
    >>>country
    >>>if possible.
    >>>
    >>>Any advice, gratefully recieved. :)

    >> I'm slightly south of you and looking for suggestions too.. and
    >> wondering if there are versions of something autoroute which have
    >> cycle lanes / paths.

    >> Last sunday headed out from Kingston (without map!) to Kingston..
    >> phew! A total time 5 hours.

    >A few too many pints and pies there?

    No just the last 17 or so years of not cycling... and having a few too
    many pints and pies during that time!

    Seriously it was a bit of a potter and just enjoying the sights (also
    [email protected] traffic on tooting broadway), my average speed is not great at
    the moment.. locally where I know where I'm going and whats next I'm
    probably about 15mph.. I was disapointed with about 10mph (taking out
    the time for lunch).

    >In all honesty I like cycling into London as much as I like cycling out and
    >around it. It just depends on the mood and conditions.

    I enjoyed it... I wouldn't of tried it on a weekday.. some parts too
    busy (around the hammersmith fly-over, elephant and castle and tooting
    broadway for example).. some parts were brilliant (hyde park, around
    buckingham place and whitehall, and the city.. which was deserted on a
    sunday).

    Getting home and releasing I hadn't passed the 50 mile mark was a
    bummer.. but then again my previous longest ride since I started again
    cycling a month ago was 20 miles so I doubled it :eek:)

    >Tonight I called off my twenty mile cycle, but last night 20 was fine. One
    >thing I have found is that some of the "old fogey" things that LCC (etc..)
    >runs are full of different places. They are worth going on to find new
    >places.

    Thats my intention soon as I feel I'm capable.. both for findiing new
    places.. and finding the tea and cakes :eek:)

    >p.s. don't tell them that. However, they'll try and get you to join up the
    >more adventerous rides. I was more than happy being the best for once though
    >;)

    :eek:)

    >Take a look at Esher, there are some really great woods there too.

    Ok, thanks for the suggestion... Seems I need to get some old
    fashoined paper maps for surrey (and hampshire).. and start exploring.

    >Actually, get into http://www.centrallondonctc.org.uk/ for an idea of
    >discovering new routes.
    >
    >That's my help done and dusted!

    Thanks, even if you did imply my average speed was [email protected] (and it was..
    I don't disagree)...

    Which leads to a question..

    As a newbie cyclist, whats better to do... the distance or get the
    speed?

    In my mind, I've always thought do the distance and the speed will
    come with experience and fitness,

    Or should I be looking for the speed first, and externding how far I
    do?

    Any thoughts please?

    Thanks
    Mark

  12. Mark Blewett

    Mark Blewett Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:53:15 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >At Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:47:54 +0100, message
    ><[email protected]> was posted by "elyob"
    ><[email protected]>, including some, all or none of the following:
    >
    >>Hampton Court. Head South. Through Weybridge. Join towpath. Turn left
    >>just under the M25 underpass.

    >Mornington Crescent in three.

    Humph.. what about parkers first principle? ;o)